Advice Request Best Free Softwares for Windows

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I just thought i'd share this tiny torrent client. It's not as extensive as qBittorent or Tixati, but it's small, portable and does everything the majority will ever need. I just put it on a USB together in my "Windows toolbox" folder, since I don't download as many torrents as I used to this one filled in the void for me without having to install client. :D

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I just thought i'd share this tiny torrent client. It's not as extensive as qBittorent or Tixati, but it's small, portable and does everything the majority will ever need. I just put it on a USB together in my "Windows toolbox" folder, since I don't download as many torrents as I used to this one filled in the void for me without having to install client. :D

I use and prefer Taxati for the customization features BUT this being portable, small and open source I am intrigued. I will have to check it out.. thanks much!

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Good alternative to WinRar. chinese ver also have cloud protection (connected to 360 cloud).

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Xtreme Download Manager
Hello jackuars, pls try this. its the english version of Thunder (XunLei) translated by someone.
After that install this extension .
The website:

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
also:
Hello jackuars, pls try this. its the english version of Thunder (XunLei) translated by someone.
After that install this extension .
The website:
Thanks for the suggestions. Will try them out.

I liked the queue'ing system with drag and drop feature in Eagleget. This is much better than what's implemented in IDM & XDM.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Whats your preferred file unlocker software? @roger_m @jackuars or anyone else?
I use Iobit unlocker which I preferred more than unlocker, lockhunter and fileassassin.

I used to use Unlocker but when it did not succed one time i tried IOBits d.o, it did it. So now IOBits Unlocker is the one i use. I have not tried all that many but IOBits has so far never failed.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Whats your preferred file unlocker software? @roger_m @jackuars or anyone else?
I use Iobit unlocker which I preferred more than unlocker, lockhunter and fileassassin.
I see that you've used the most popular unlockers and I think IOBit unlocker will be a good add. An unlocker that provides a portable version would be my preference. Emsisoft used to provide BlitzBlank in the past, not sure how good it is now, I guess it's not updated anymore. Another option that I'd try will be that's built-in to suites like Wise Care (Wise Force Deleter) or if a 3rd party task manager provides that feature.

I would love to know why you prefer IOBit's Unlocker compared to LockHunter. I guess both are good and regularly updated.

I haven't used file unlockers in a very long time. I've been using Linux 90% of the time these days, that I don't look into that many softwares on Windows anymore. Maybe I will create a list for Linux too.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I would love to know why you prefer IOBit's Unlocker compared to LockHunter. I guess both are good and regularly updated.
Lockhunter and fileassassin couldn't delete a certain file but Iobit could. Thats the reason I preferred it. I forgot what file(s) it was, some software leftover(s). I didn't try unlocker for this file so not sure how good that would be. Didn't know Wise and Emsisoft have these tools. Thanks for the recommendations.

I use portable version of Iobit unlocker from potableapps.com. I don't think its officially available however but I trust apps from portableapps.com so far.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017

mtbboy1993

Level 1
Oct 31, 2021
Photo enchancement:
Rawtherapee raw photo processing
I've been using it for years to edit my photos.

Irfan View IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide Imae viewer

Screen Recording and streaming:
OBS -Open Broadcasting Software Screen recorder, streaming software Open Broadcaster Software | OBS works well, frequently updated, can record parts of the screen, a window, have different setups saved. works well.
Thunderbird E-Mail Thunderbird — Make Email Easier. email, calendar, great contact list, can add all relevant info like websites, addresses, emails, phone numbers, photo, emails can be marked to read later, important.

Compression:
7Zip 7-Zip File compression

Music:
foobar200 foobar2000 advanced freeware audio player for the Windows platform.

Game chat overlay and communication:
Discord Discord | Your Place to Talk and Hang Out

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.