Advice Request Best Free Softwares for Windows

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Useful list, thank you!
For video recording, I'd suggest Apowersoft Online Screen Recorder, it's quite handy, straight-forward and does the job perfectly if you just want to video capture your screen without much settings to play around and yet still produce very good quality videos with amazing file sizes.
Am sure Apowersoft is a good software, however as in my first post, I am only including desktop softwares. Hope that's okay :cool:

For unknown reasons, this XMediaRecode locks up on my system when converting... it's been doing that for the past few years. So my vote is for Handbrake. My only complaint w/Handbrake is that it can't handle video passthrough.

Great list... I'm exploring a few things now...

I would add
Screen Capture: ShareX
ShareX is already there. :)
XMediaRecode is working fine on my system. Handbrake is another great choice, sadly I had to limit to one software/category :(

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Best burner isnt "Imgburn" ?
The choice was made after comparing ImgBurn, CDBurnerXP, Burnaware & cdrtfe :)
Also best desktop search isnt "everything" ?
UltraSearch has far advanced features than Everything. It's as fast as Everything, after the first scan. Hoping you would try it.
Best defrag defraggler ? Oh hell no. its slow sluggish and overall outdated... either windows defrag or auslogics free defrag.
Auslogics Free Defrag, the thought crossed my mind, but I'm trying to make the list as adware-free as possible. However since it has a portable version, am adding it to my list and replacing Defraggler :)
Download manager would be FDM ( Free download manager ) XDM is buggy. also doesnt catch as much media and more.
XDM was buggy in the past, request you to try the latest version, it's much better. Also there is no comparison for the video download feature between XDM & FDM as XDM allows support for more websites and is only matched by maybe Eagleget or IDM.
Torrent client should be Qbittorrent for the network binding feature , faster devs , open source , and being not banned on plenty of tracker.
qbitTorrent is a close runner-up, I mean extremely close. Lack of a good scheduler made it to be placed second :(
And feem seems to work only if the PC is also on WLAN ( cable same network doesnt work feem WANTS wlan )... Screenshot
Better alternative AirMore Web Free and if you dont make a account its 100% wlan/lan and no servers evolved works even with pcs on cable

Another great tool for data folder or whatever sharing between linux , windows , and mac is Nitroshare
Feem works well on WLAN also it's cross platform between PC & Mobile too, which is a great advantage. Can you try turning on the WiFi direct feature if it's still not working? Also the list includes only desktop softwares.

You should add OBS for recording and streaming.
Thanks will add this category :)

I was trying to download the Free version, but it seems that's no longer possible from their website.
On the other hand, Softpedia link is still working, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in 1 year
Free Desktop adblockers are very limited. AdFender recently became fully commercial, and StopAd is the best among the small lot :)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@jackuars, any possibility we could see a category for best free "Vector Image Creation Utility"? Inkscape is my vote for this category, but I realize it doesn't compete with straight editors very well in that category. Anyway, for pure vectoring Inkscape is great, especially the image tracing and other tools. Only free pure vectoring app I have run across and maybe my favorite app to work with overall...

Superb list once again. :)

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Please add Privacy Eraser with Wise Disk Cleaner for cleaning utilities. I am currently use these two and it is good.

Please add Shadow Defender for virtualization and Macrium Reflect Free backupper along with AOMEI free backupper because AOMEI and Macrium are great in free.

Reactions: AtlBo

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
This is a great resource, thanks for putting it together. I’ve discovered a couple utilities I didn’t know about.

Please add Privacy Eraser with Wise Disk Cleaner for cleaning utilities. I am currently use these two and it is good.

Please add Shadow Defender for virtualization and Macrium Reflect Free backupper along with AOMEI free backupper because AOMEI and Macrium are great in free.
Shadow Defender - List only includes free utilities :)
As mentioned in my initial post, sadly I could only include only 1 software/category, to make the list look cleaner :) Your choices are well deserved though :)

@jackuars, any possibility we could see a category for best free "Vector Image Creation Utility"? Inkscape is my vote for this category, but I realize it doesn't compete with straight editors very well in that category. Anyway, for pure vectoring Inkscape is great, especially the image tracing and other tools. Only free pure vectoring app I have run across and maybe my favorite app to work with overall...

Superb list once again. :)
*Added ;)

Replacing Filezilla with Cyberduck for FTP Client as FileZilla occasionally bundles software with it.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
My 2 cents
CD-DVD Burner - cdrtfe
Anyburn
Driver Backup/Update - IOBit Driver Booster
I might suggest DriverPackSolution Online, but some things needs to be unticked if you don't want unnecessary software to be installed after initial driver scan.
IObit Driver Booster is bundled almost always with adware or with other products from IObit.

Eassos Partition Guru or DiskGenius is probably most advanced free partitioning software with support of partition recovery, data recovery and backup.
E-Mail Client - eM Client
Why not Thunderbird? Last time I checked eM Client supported only small number of accounts in its free version.
Maybe Hirens Boot PE?
Torrent Client - Tixati
qBittorent is the most advanced torrenting client. Regurarly maintained.
Again, because IObit...consider HiBitUninstaller and BCUninstaller
I'm in opinion that ImDisk is much more powerful than WinArchiver for a free software. Also ImgDrive another alternative which is zero-knowledge-to-use software.

With other options I strongly agree
Cheers!

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
If you learn to use the iobit products you have not any problem. Iobit programs is more of 15 years in my systems. Never i had something bad. Revo uninstaller pro is one nice program but it destroyed my windows more of 5 times. iobit never. Driver booster the same. If If I see a driver for update, i install it without checking it. I absolutely trust the program. With ASC I delete everything that he finds me without checking it out. My own experience with iobit programs, which is many years .... Is it the most safe products I've used

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Am sure Apowersoft is a good software, however as in my first post, I am only including desktop softwares. Hope that's okay :cool:
Actually it is a desktop software, one just needs to download a launcher and that's it.
They also have a 'complete' desktop installer.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
My 2 cents

Anyburn

I might suggest DriverPackSolution Online, but some things needs to be unticked if you don't want unnecessary software to be installed after initial driver scan.
IObit Driver Booster is bundled almost always with adware or with other products from IObit.

Eassos Partition Guru or DiskGenius is probably most advanced free partitioning software with support of partition recovery, data recovery and backup.

Why not Thunderbird? Last time I checked eM Client supported only small number of accounts in its free version.

Maybe Hirens Boot PE?

qBittorent is the most advanced torrenting client. Regurarly maintained.

Again, because IObit...consider HiBitUninstaller and BCUninstaller

I'm in opinion that ImDisk is much more powerful than WinArchiver for a free software. Also ImgDrive another alternative which is zero-knowledge-to-use software.

With other options I strongly agree
Cheers!

Some excellent choices there. I will have to revisit my list. Obviously i need to do a comparison between the current products in list vs suggestions since it's been some time that I've used them
Actually it is a desktop software, one just needs to download a launcher and that's it.
They also have a 'complete' desktop installer.
It looks really good. Let me compare to with the current topper in the list which is another advanced screen recorder and editor.
:)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Suggestions
Alternatives
For the record

UltraSearch (portable)
Wise Disk Cleaner (portable)
Wise Registry Cleaner (portable)

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Well i agree with BoraMurdar in my opinion,

Video chat? if you dont want Skype then what about Google Hangouts?

Video recording: OBS or X-Split

Torrent: well qbittorrent is the best client for Windows, also its useful program because they have search torrent which its built-in you can search in program and download it without the browser...

System Recovery: Shadow Defender or Rollback RX

PDF Reader: Sumatra PDF :unsure:

Media Player: VLC or Media Player Classic

FTP Client: FileZilla

File Archiver: 7zip

Driver Backup/Update: Driverpack? i was worked at the computer shop for 3 years the program is great, no problem at all...

Great work bro, i bookmarked this (y)

Edit:

The community/group chat: Discord

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Here is my list

Ad-blocker - Ublock Origin
Antivirus - 360 TS (Not presently installed)
CD-DVD Burner - DeepBurner
Copy utility - TeraCopy
Desktop Search - Everything
Disk/File Cleaner - CCleaner
Disk Defrag - Defragler
Disk Imaging - AOMEI Backupper Standard
Disk Partitioning - EaseUS Partition Manager
Download Manager - Xtreme Download Manager
File Archiver - 7zip
File Recovery - Recuva
Firewall - Comodo Firewall
Image Editor - Picasa
Image Viewer - FastStone Viewer
Media Player - XMPlay
Office Suite - WPS
PDF Reader - Foxit Reader
Registry Cleaner - CCleaner
Rescue Disk - Any Windows/Linux Live DVD
Sandboxing Software - Sandboxie Free
System Monitor - System Explorer
System Recovery - Toolwiz Time Freeze
Torrent Client - utorrent
Tune-up Suite - Glary Utilities Free
Video Editor - Wondershare Video Editor
Virtual Drive - Winarchiver Virtual Drive
Web Browser - Slimjet

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Well i agree with BoraMurdar in my opinion,

Video chat? if you dont want Skype then what about Google Hangouts?

Video recording: OBS or X-Split

Torrent: well qbittorrent is the best client for Windows, also its useful program because they have search torrent which its built-in you can search in program and download it without the browser...

System Recovery: Shadow Defender or Rollback RX

PDF Reader: Sumatra PDF :unsure:

Media Player: VLC or Media Player Classic

FTP Client: FileZilla

File Archiver: 7zip

Driver Backup/Update: Driverpack? i was worked at the computer shop for 3 years the program is great, no problem at all...

Great work bro, i bookmarked this (y)

Edit:

The community/group chat: Discord
Thanks for the suggestions. I will closely take a look at them. :)

Torrent client: qBittorrent was left in favor of Tixati because of lack of an advanced/multiple scheduler. I had given this request 3 years back but it's not yet been done. Am sure the others wanted this feature from the following threads and switched to alternate clients due to lack of it.

System recovery: Aren't they commercial softwares?

FTP Client: Filezilla was my #1 choice in 2014, however they started bundling adware every now and then.

Video recording: Added OBS as per your suggestion :)

Video chat: Google hangout is for browsers, so I wanted a good one that works as a desktop software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.