Not open for further replies.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Hello @Bot! I run VMware v16 on my win10_host. I tried running Linux Mint in VMware and it ran ok or awhile, but after it updated it became problematic, and I read a notice that there was some known issue with it and VMware. Then I created a Centos 7 VM, and I could never get the sound card to run, and it also had issues with many video formats. I do want to have a linux VM, but I want one that correctly identifies my hardware, and one that has sound and video without further complications. Its primary usage will be for surfing the internet, and should be a good for privacy. Is there a linux distribution that is optimal to run on VMware v16.2.5?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello! Based on your requirements, I would recommend trying out Ubuntu or Fedora. Both of these Linux distributions are well-known for their compatibility with VMware and have good out-of-the-box support for hardware, including sound and video. Ubuntu is a popular choice for beginners, with a user-friendly interface and strong community support. Fedora, on the other hand, is known for its bleeding-edge technology and focus on security. Both distributions are privacy-oriented and should be suitable for browsing the internet. You might want to download the latest stable version of each and test them out in your VMware setup to see which one suits your needs better.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Hello! Based on your requirements, I would recommend trying out Ubuntu or Fedora. Both of these Linux distributions are well-known for their compatibility with VMware and have good out-of-the-box support for hardware, including sound and video. Ubuntu is a popular choice for beginners, with a user-friendly interface and strong community support. Fedora, on the other hand, is known for its bleeding-edge technology and focus on security. Both distributions are privacy-oriented and should be suitable for browsing the internet. You might want to download the latest stable version of each and test them out in your VMware setup to see which one suits your needs better.
Does Fedora have some connection to Red Hat? If so, I know that Centos also has connection to Red Hat, yet Centos had problem with my sound and video. I think Mint is a fork of Ubuntu, but I will try Ubuntu next. Thanks.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Does Fedora have some connection to Red Hat? If so, I know that Centos also has connection to Red Hat, yet Centos had problem with my sound and video. I think Mint is a fork of Ubuntu, but I will try Ubuntu next. Thanks.
Yes, Fedora is a community-driven Linux distribution that is sponsored by Red Hat. However, Fedora is developed independently from Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), and they have different release cycles and target audiences. While CentOS is also sponsored by Red Hat and is known for being a stable, community-driven alternative to RHEL, it may not have the same level of compatibility with VMware that Ubuntu or Fedora do. I hope that helps, and good luck with your Linux VM!

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, Fedora is a community-driven Linux distribution that is sponsored by Red Hat. However, Fedora is developed independently from Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), and they have different release cycles and target audiences. While CentOS is also sponsored by Red Hat and is known for being a stable, community-driven alternative to RHEL, it may not have the same level of compatibility with VMware that Ubuntu or Fedora do. I hope that helps, and good luck with your Linux VM!

I created fedora 37 VM. Seems very solid and sound works ok! Youtube videos also play. Fedora comes with firefox preinstalled, and it updated from v106 for fedora (64-bit) to v110. With or in firefox on some websites there is flickering, but so far not here at MT. so far happy with fedora. I was also looking at Zorin but decided to try fedora first. I may also try Zorin if I have room on my system. I'll see if other browsers are available for fedora. Do you know what other browsers should work well in fedora?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I created fedora 37 VM. Seems very solid and sound works ok! Youtube videos also play. Fedora comes with firefox preinstalled, and it updated from v106 for fedora (64-bit) to v110. With or in firefox on some websites there is flickering, but so far not here at MT. so far happy with fedora. I was also looking at Zorin but decided to try fedora first. I may also try Zorin if I have room on my system. I'll see if other browsers are available for fedora. Do you know what other browsers should work well in fedora?
Glad to hear Fedora is working well for you! In addition to Firefox, Fedora should work well with other popular web browsers such as Google Chrome, Chromium, and Opera. These browsers are often available in the standard Fedora repositories or can be downloaded from their respective websites. You may want to try out these browsers and see which one suits your needs and preferences best. Good luck!

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Glad to hear Fedora is working well for you! In addition to Firefox, Fedora should work well with other popular web browsers such as Google Chrome, Chromium, and Opera. These browsers are often available in the standard Fedora repositories or can be downloaded from their respective websites. You may want to try out these browsers and see which one suits your needs and preferences best. Good luck!
I also tried Zorin last night, and I like it too, in fact in terms of hardware compatibility, everything (99%) just worked, and it was also intuitive. That said, I had the feeling that Fedora was "mature" more stable, and once I get Fedora fully tweaked, I may like it better than Zorin, although for the moment Zorin is working well. Sidenote annoyance, Linux has been around for a while, Fedora has been around for many years, my hardware is 5 or 6 years old, I think Fedora should be 100% compatible, and it isn't. Why is linux lacking in this regard?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I also tried Zorin last night, and I like it too, in fact in terms of hardware compatibility, everything (99%) just worked, and it was also intuitive. That said, I had the feeling that Fedora was "mature" more stable, and once I get Fedora fully tweaked, I may like it better than Zorin, although for the moment Zorin is working well. Sidenote annoyance, Linux has been around for a while, Fedora has been around for many years, my hardware is 5 or 6 years old, I think Fedora should be 100% compatible, and it isn't. Why is linux lacking in this regard?
Glad to hear that you also had a positive experience with Zorin! Regarding your question, the compatibility of Linux with hardware can depend on various factors, such as the hardware manufacturer's support for Linux, the specific drivers available for the hardware, and the version of Linux being used. Although Linux has come a long way in terms of hardware compatibility, it's still not always guaranteed that every component of every machine will be fully supported out of the box. Some hardware manufacturers may not release Linux-specific drivers, or older hardware may not be fully supported in newer Linux versions. However, the Linux community often works to develop and distribute open-source drivers that can fill in these gaps where needed. Additionally, some Linux distributions may have better or worse hardware compatibility depending on their specific focus and development priorities. In general, choosing a well-established and well-supported Linux distribution like Fedora or Zorin should improve the odds of good hardware compatibility.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Glad to hear that you also had a positive experience with Zorin! Regarding your question, the compatibility of Linux with hardware can depend on various factors, such as the hardware manufacturer's support for Linux, the specific drivers available for the hardware, and the version of Linux being used.
I think my next computer will be optimized for Linux with Linux pre-installed, perhaps Fedora. Do you know, is any computer manufacturer selling computer with Fedora installed and "guaranteed?"

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I think my next computer will be optimized for Linux with Linux pre-installed, perhaps Fedora. Do you know, is any computer manufacturer selling computer with Fedora installed and "guaranteed?"
Yes, there are several computer manufacturers that sell computers with Fedora pre-installed and offer support for it. One example is System76, a company that specializes in Linux-based computers and offers models with Fedora pre-installed. Dell also offers some models with Fedora pre-installed, as part of their "Developer Edition" lineup. These models come with hardware that is well-suited to Linux, and the manufacturer provides official support for Fedora on these systems. Other companies, like Lenovo and HP, have also been known to offer hardware with Linux pre-installed, although Fedora may not always be the specific distribution offered.

• +Reputation
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.