Best Linux Distro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxygen

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I dumped windows altogether about 8-9 months ago and ive never looked back.Im currently using linux mint 17 and it works just fine and im not having half the issues i had with windows.

Maybe you should evaluate what you use a computer for and then see which distro suits you as there is a treasure trove of them to choose from.

Good luck.

I've tried most linux distro's on a usb and it seems that Linux Mint seems to be good (so far)

Reactions: Amiga500

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
My favourites:
  • Mint (cinnamon) - simplest and most complete
  • Lubuntu - lightest
  • Kubuntu - simply beautiful
  • Ubuntu (gnome) - Gnome will never die for me
;)

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
1. Manjaro Cinnamon
2. Elementary os
3. Linux mint Debian edition
4. Fedora

I

illumination

Mint and Ubuntu are great for those just getting started as pointed out by others in this thread. As Umbra said, some of the distro's come ready to use right out of the box, others require higher skill levels as you then have to construct them yourself. Ubuntu is solid/stable, runs on just about every machine i have tried it on "the one it didnt run on , did not have enough ram and a weak graphics card, as it was an older machine"

Since Mint is ubuntu based, it basically will work on most machines ubuntu will..

There are tons of Distro's out there to chose from, there is really no best answer here, you just have to play with them all until you find one that fits like a glove.. For me, my top favorite's would be any Fedora or Arch distro's, or any fork of the two.

Reactions: Amiga500
D

Deleted member 178

what i like with Linux is the variety of distros and each has a variety of DE which has a variety of options :D

in fact , nobody has the same Linux lol

Reactions: vrb93 and Oxygen

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I wish I could get Google drive to work with a linux distro. Pretty much the only thing holding me back.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Yep. Google says that it's being worked on but haven't seen anything in about a year. Sync service doesn't work in linux.

S

Sr. Normal

hi
If you're going to start in linux , I would recommend using an Xfce desktop that is very similar to XP. I'm using Xubuntu and Manjaro because they are very stable, have a lot of software and very active communities also follow the KISS philosophy (keep it easy , stupid ) .
When you find yourself comfortable with these systems you will want to try as many alternatives, there are many.
Regards to all

Reactions: Jack

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Puppy Linux, one of the features that like a lot is installing the OS via RAM at any state computer machine performance therefore the process is very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.