Advice Request Best Modern Web Browser for 2017

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

l1nuxfre4k

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 20, 2014
What you guys think?
Which one is the best at the moment?

I'm been using Chrome for many many years but i donno maybe something better out there for me :)
I got like an average of 40-50 tabs open daily, often upwards 60-70,
my laptop hates me :D

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
The best browser for you depends on what you need in a browser. Tons of features or a simple as possible, it depends on the user.
I would say it like this:

Best mainstream browser: Chrome.
  • Pro: Largest userbase. It's fast, gets regular security updates and if you use google services, it's easy to use them when you log in into the browser.
  • Contra: Needs quite some ram and battery if you use a laptop + Google and privacy are two oppisites.
Best out-of-the-box browser: Opera.
  • Pro: The best of Chromium, yet simplistic and has some basic built-in addition like VPN, battery saving and Adblocker. Als good sync integration with their mobile browser.
  • Contra: Recently sold to Chinese consortium, so it's uncertain what the future will bring for Opera.
Best browser for Open source freaks: Firefox
  • Pro: Open Source, big changes with their electrolysis (multi-process), customisation
  • Contra: Recent decisions made by Mozilla are not so great. Features get removed and some addons will stop working in the next versions.
Best Overall Chrome replacement: Slimjet
  • Pro: No Google tracking. Adblocking and great downloading features, Social network integration
  • Contra: Less known, Slower updates
Best Open source browser that is like in the good old Mozilla days: Palemoon, Waterfox and other gecko clones.
  • Pro: Open Source and not affected by stupid Mozilla decisions
  • Contra: Mostly developed by a very small team, so changes and updates may require waiting a bit longer.
Best Standard browser: Edge
  • Pro: Integration with MS services, relatively new and still in active development. Doesn't need much resources. Good integration for tablets.
  • Contra: In my opinion months after the launch still hanging behind other browsers, especially in terms of extensions.
Best Feature rich browser: Vivaldi
  • Pro: They want to get as much as possible features without extensions right into the browser. New and fresh look. Frequent updates. Privacy friendly. Mail client and sync is coming soon.
  • Contra: Still a bit slow although being worked on.
Best Privacy browser: Brave
  • Pro: Made by previous Mozilla developers. Has a system to avoid ads but still give the sites revenue. Has much privacy options
  • Contra: Still in early development. Quite simplistic in terms of other features
And there are still so much other Chromium and gecko clones that are maybe what you are looking for. For example: Yandex browser, Torch, Cyberfox....

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I am trialling Waterfox at this time as a possible replacement for Cyberfox after it's sad :( possible demise in the future. ;)
Why not just good ol' Firefox?
Opera for me. It has everything I need and it's not that RAM hungry like Chrome. :D
How can that be?

Firefox. Chrome. Yandex... for now.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I'm a firefox fanboy.

Have been known to use opera.
Hate chrome, infact if a vendor tells me their webapp is only compatible with chrome i literally give them a -1 in my head lol
Why would they do that?
@kev216 Some people do like WebExtensions as you can see from addon reviews in mozilla.
Sometimes you just have to make decisions regardless of the noisiest members. Privacy geeks freak out from Chrome, they don't care.
Adding filterlists on Slimjet AdBlock made it lag.
It's unsure what will ever happen to the browsers when they break off from Mozilla and Mozilla chases for something else. At least we can see which actually wins or what things actually scale. Good for the mind and decision making in the future.
Wouldn't the more mature and thoroughly researched and tested Tor Browser take the privacy spot with them collaborating with Mozilla and NoScript and EFF and all and also with Firefox's improved security? How will Torproject prepare to change to the new Firefox though.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
CENT Browser (chromium base)
  • Lazy session loading (lightness on startup)
  • WebRTC, Canvas Fingerprinting control in settings
  • Fast Image Save option (and name preset options)
  • More Tab browsing options
  • SuperDrag
  • Select default downloader
  • Custom Stylesheets
  • Intuitive Memory optimization options
  • Lots of buttons and functions options over chrome
  • Tabs shapes
  • Auto-hide bookmark bar (against chrome)
and a few more!
I was a (new) Opera user in the past few months, but I discovered this one from MT itself and it's my sole browser now. It's being continuously developed.

The best browser for you depends on what you need in a browser. Tons of features or a simple as possible, it depends on the user.
I would say it like this:

Best mainstream browser: Chrome.
  • Pro: Largest userbase. It's fast, gets regular security updates and if you use google services, it's easy to use them when you log in into the browser.
  • Contra: Needs quite some ram and battery if you use a laptop + Google and privacy are two oppisites.
Best out-of-the-box browser: Opera.
  • Pro: The best of Chromium, yet simplistic and has some basic built-in addition like VPN, battery saving and Adblocker. Als good sync integration with their mobile browser.
  • Contra: Recently sold to Chinese consortium, so it's uncertain what the future will bring for Opera.
Best browser for Open source freaks: Firefox
  • Pro: Open Source, big changes with their electrolysis (multi-process), customisation
  • Contra: Recent decisions made by Mozilla are not so great. Features get removed and some addons will stop working in the next versions.
Best Overall Chrome replacement: Slimjet
  • Pro: No Google tracking. Adblocking and great downloading features, Social network integration
  • Contra: Less known, Slower updates
Best Open source browser that is like in the good old Mozilla days: Palemoon, Waterfox and other gecko clones.
  • Pro: Open Source and not affected by stupid Mozilla decisions
  • Contra: Mostly developed by a very small team, so changes and updates may require waiting a bit longer.
Best Standard browser: Edge
  • Pro: Integration with MS services, relatively new and still in active development. Doesn't need much resources. Good integration for tablets.
  • Contra: In my opinion months after the launch still hanging behind other browsers, especially in terms of extensions.
Best Feature rich browser: Vivaldi
  • Pro: They want to get as much as possible features without extensions right into the browser. New and fresh look. Frequent updates. Privacy friendly. Mail client and sync is coming soon.
  • Contra: Still a bit slow although being worked on.
Best Privacy browser: Brave
  • Pro: Made by previous Mozilla developers. Has a system to avoid ads but still give the sites revenue. Has much privacy options
  • Contra: Still in early development. Quite simplistic in terms of other features
And there are still so much other Chromium and gecko clones that are maybe what you are looking for. For example: Yandex browser, Torch, Cyberfox....
Hey Kev, a nice brief. How could you forget Cent ;)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Why would they do that?
@kev216
Wouldn't the more mature and thoroughly researched and tested Tor Browser take the privacy spot with them collaborating with Mozilla and NoScript and EFF and all and also with Firefox's improved security? How will Torproject prepare to change to the new Firefox though.
I completely forgot about Tor. You are right it can replace Brave in my list, but then you are using the Tor network. If you want to use the 'normal internet' or how do I have to say it, Brave is a good option too. But great suggestion :)

Hey Kev, a nice brief. How could you forget Cent ;)
Like I said there are lot's of browser I didn't mention. I've never tried Cent myself. I'll give it a try. You made me curious ;)

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I've never tried Cent myself. I'll give it a try. You made me curious ;)
It's one of the best for users who want to stick to Chromium (for obvious reasons mostly) with a multitude of time saving, customizable security and privacy options missing in Chrome.
There are other browsers too to look out for, but for Chromium builds, this has been my choice now (I've tried most of Chromium based browsers) and I'm sure you'll love it :)

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
It's one of the best for users who want to stick to Chromium (for obvious reasons mostly) with a multitude of time saving, customizable security and privacy options missing in Chrome.
There are other browsers too to look out for, but for Chromium builds, this has been my choice now (I've tried most of Chromium based browsers) and I'm sure you'll love it :)

Just installed it. Let's give it a try! Thanks!

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017

10 minutes with this browser and i am already amazed. Still, trust but verify. Is it safe? :)

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
The best browser is the browser that suits your needs and i have tried most of them on my linux machine from chrome to firefox and vivaldi,but i always come back to palemoon which has the look and feel of a firefox i remember fondly.

Its about user choice,we as people have different tastes and thankfully we have a lot of great choices in terms of browsers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.