Best PayPal alternative for occasional private use not business use?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I would rather not use PayPal for a couple of reasons. When I tried to use it for money transfer in the past it took way too long to go through, totally unacceptable. Secondly, I deeply approve of PayPal's policies, its participation in the outsourcing of repression, its willingness to do the dirty work of government and authoritarian movements. For that reason Venmo is also off the table for me.

What is wrong with the old norm of companies minding their own business and respecting people's autonomy and just staying out of politics ?

What are my best alternatives? I want to know about any limitations on free editions, what fees they may charge, timeliness of service.

I want something that will not require me to set up an online bank account. PayPal did not require that, but Cash App does. My bank will only allow an online account for those who renounce receiving paper statements.

PC and mobile options are equally acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for this thread which sparks my thoughts in a multi-faceted way, primarily the PayPal account I have not accessed in years. Another is my late wife's account to the same. Lastly, cryptocurrency. I feel I may have fallen behind being in the know with many commonly used tools, & services, I have neither missed nor used over the years (Thank YOU GOD for MalwareTips!) ;) and yet, even a close friend's young elementary school aged son comes to mind. He trades in %s of bitcoin stock!:oops:

L

Local Host

You can use Skrill, it is similar to PayPal and has great features and it doesn't require a bank account. For fees and other infos, please check this link:
Paypal does not require a bank account either, and is not recommended to tie your bank account to any website.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
You can make paysafecard account, free account can hold 200 eur / month, you can upgrade by paying with paysafecard to it hold more money on your account

They dont charge anything when buying stuff online

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
For what you want you need to use crypto. Every last one that you list is required by governments to collect your data such as name, address, date of birth, national ID number, there are high fees, always an exchange rate and wire fee, transfers can be slow, problems take days to resolve, customer service is terrible, and so on. You only have the GDPR right to be forgotten, if you wish, if you opened the account while living in the EU. Since I am a EU resident I thought it would be relatively easy to have accounts closed and deleted, but even with GDPR it seems all these type companies insist they must retain all the personal data that people want them to delete.
I am interested by what you have to say. At first glance it seems like cryptocurrency would further complicate such transactions. How easy is conversion to and from your national currency?

I am puzzled by a couple of things. Anybody know why the program list I was required to enter when I posted got deleted? I believe that deletion seriously diminishes the original post.

Anybody know why the thread got moved to Lounge Chat? I had put it in Battlefield for General Programs. This seemed appropriate because I believe every one of those services has a mobile phone app. In fact I think I got most of the list from Play Store.

I suppose the two puzzles may well be related.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Russo

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Re-add the list in your next post and I can help add it to the first/main post in this thread.
Thank you very much. However I don't have the list anywhere, and the thread is not on Wayback Machine, which does not surprise me.

Reactions: upnorth

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I am now looking into Paysend which says it has "unique card2 card transfers". Is that unique indeed?

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

"Because of its special arrangement with Visa, Mastercard and UnionPay, Paysend is able to transfer money to the recipient's credit card, debit card, or bank account in over 70 different countries instantly."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.