Best Private Search Engines Guide

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
New Year - New Best Private Search Engines Guide for you all!

-based on restoreprivacy.com professional thread: 13 Best Private Search Engines for 2019 | Restore Privacy by Sven Taylor
...on search engines and on some truths about privacy (which is impossible to achieve on the web) ...

"This new and improved guide aims to be the most in-depth resource available on private search engines."

Author's opinions are "based on extensive testing and research". This guide cover excellent advices for keeping your data safe and private.

Here is the information being collected by some of the larger (not private) search engines:
  1. Source IP address
  2. User agent
  3. Location
  4. Unique identifier (stored in browser cookies)
  5. Search queries
Using a search engine can disclose highly personal information about you ... of course.

I've no doubts : privacy is impossible to achieve ... So I've get rid of all very valuable privacy extensions ... no more Ghostery, Privacy Possum, CanvasBlocker, Privacy Protector Plus etc here. Only improvements in about:config of my Firefox based browsers (I don't more use Chromium based browsers).

So about search engines: some are better than others, sure.
I don't use Google, and if rarely use it, in my uMatrix all Google items are blocked, in red: cookies, image, script, XHR, other, consent.google.com - not blocked google.com and www. address only, and the G. page is pure thanks to uBlock O. content block.

This guide explains the privacy promises of these search engines:
Searx, Metager, Swisscows, Qwant, DuckDuckGo, Mojeek, JaCy, Givero, Ecosia, Startpage, Jive Search, Peekier.
Thank you, Sven Taylor!

So, what are your comments on unattainable privacy in general, and search engine privacy in particular? Which search engines do you use?....

- I use Swisscows, Searx, Qwant Lite, Peekier, Toki, Yippy, Dogpile Web Search, DuckDuckGo too...

Edit:
deleted search..t search engine name what recently send ads links only, so attention...sorry

Last edited:

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
Although it is advisable not to install extensions if the goal can be achieved in "about: config" a minimal part of extensions is needed.
I Use DuckDuckGO - Custom settings saved via URL no cookies

Even with Chrome it is possible to safeguard our privacy.
Obviously less so than Firefox or Pale Moon.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
DuckDuckGo saves search queries, they claim without any identifiable information but it's still something to keep in mind. That Restore Privacy article also mentions this:

The founder of DDG, Gabriel Weinberg, was also behind a social network called Names Database, which collected the real names and addresses of its users. He then sold Names Database (and all the user data) to Classmates.com for “approximately $10 million in cash” in March 2006.

I used Startpage until they got investment from a US ad company and took months to tell everyone, so I use Qwant now.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I just got blocked by Qwant. I'm using a VPN. :rolleyes:

INFORMATION
A high amount of connections have been detected from your location and you have been blocked.

Please, validate the anti-robot below to be allowed access to the website.

Click on the only unique symbol.

The use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN), a browser plugin or another program might be related to the current blocking. You might try uninstalling the VPN from your computer or network and see if that makes a difference.

Some VPNs send traffic that violates the law or websites' terms of service. When the abuse to Qwant's network stops, we automatically stop blocking the IP that were sending the bad traffic.

If you are unsure about a malicious usage of your network, this website (english only) may be a good reference to start with.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
@HarborFront,
To have display of date (and hour) - use Yippy.com:
https://www.yippy.com/ - the best for this very handy feature ...

Some other links of search engines:

DDG URL Parameters: DuckDuckGo URL Parameters
DDG lite: DuckDuckGo
DDG — customized page (WOT + favicons on all results, HTTPS On, Advertisements Off) without any cookies : DuckDuckGo — Privacy, simplified.
Disconnect Search: Disconnect Search: Search privately using your favorite search engine
FindX: Findx - a bit more private than other good search engines.
Lukol: https://www.lukol.com/
Gibberfish Search (powered by searx): Gibberfish Search
Infinity Search: https://infinitysearch.co/
Mojeek: Mojeek

+ Best for privacy: in Firefox, set privacy.firstparty.isolate to TRUE (user set )
+ Firefox: click Never remember history (under Tools/Preferences/Privacy tab) - or click Clear history when FF closes, so no more problem with websites content ... test if these websites have content: seekingalpha.com https://seekingalpha.com/ and this one: earth.nullschool.net earth :: a global map of wind, weather, and ocean conditions
+ Firefox: use Forget button
+ forbid scripts on third-party (in uBlock O., uMatrix ...)
+ Don't accept any search engine cookies
+ search on MT: TLS session ....
+ use CCleaner

Some good tips here: Firefox bullshit removal via about:config: Firefox bullshit removal via about:config

Edit:
Added Gibberfish Search link
... and about Firefox: Privacy Related "about:config" Tweaks: on the bottom of the privacytools.io page: Web Browsers | PrivacyTools
and suche.org about:config tweaks are here: suche.org : Mozilla Help

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I just got blocked by Qwant. I'm using a VPN. :rolleyes:

INFORMATION
A high amount of connections have been detected from your location and you have been blocked.

I've too a lot of traffic, which I can see live in Process Hacker/Network tab. Ex. I see many Remote Address domain 1e100.net connections ... it's Google or rather 1 googol and is related to google safe browsing (but not only...) feature in my browser.
So in my browser I try Tools/Options/Security tab - here I've notched "Warn you..." , "Block dangerous and deceptive content" etc boxes of safe browsing.
To look on the result I've unnotched these safe browsing boxes... to see.
After doing that, I've restarted an website - and see the same amount of 1e100.net connections (about 7). Nothing to do, NO privacy, Google will be there.
Found ample explications on techjunkie.com here: The Mysterious 1e100.net: The Mysterious 1e100.net
... "What on Earth is 1e100.net? Well, if you are enough of a math geek, you know that the “e” symbol stands for exponentiation, and “1e100” means 1×10 to the 100th power. That’s a big number…in fact, it’s a number so large that it’s called a “googol” – a one followed by 100 zeroes. Hmmm, googol, googol…what’s familiar about that word? Ah yes – it sounds just like Google. And that’s because Google is named after googol, and 1e100.net is one of Google’s domains. " ...
(In about:config I've enabled = set to true, these three: browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled and browser.safebrowsing.phishing.enabled and browser.safebrowsing.downloads.enabled).
..."you now know it’s not spyware or malware. It’s Google.".

On another website - superuser.com we read:
What is 1e100.net and why do I have TCP ports open to it? : What is 1e100.net and why do I have TCP ports open to it?
These Google safebrowsing connections "tells Google what you're browsing". So "Google can know all the sites you visit".
"Here is the truth. Google tracks you, me and everybody!
Lots of Google services use 1e100.net but that doesn't mean 1e100 is just for the services you want to have. For example Google safebrowsing feature(or I should say snitch) is being used no matter what you choose. Even if you disable any option on chrome to prevent safebrowsing, you will still have lots of connections to 1e100.net.
I have been trying to block all connections to 1e100.net but no luck! If you are using Google Chrome or any other Chrome based browser (Comodo Dragon, Yandex Browser and so on), your browser WILL send the URL you are visiting to Google. Even if you tell Chrome not to do that!" ...
... "Google started with the motto "Don't be evil" but I say, "Don't be evil, says the devil".

I recommend to use Firefox as browser (of course you will still need to disable safebrowing in Firefox) and stop using Google products. I know it is a painful experience to do it but it had to be done!" ...
"Here is the truth." : "If a person doesn't know that Google [very efficiently] tracks them, then they live under a rock. It's how their advertising engine knows how to target you." ...
1577912972275.png

Nothing to do, Google will be there. NO privacy.
In my "Local connection status" I see just now: Activity: 1060000 bytes send, and 10800000 bytes received... it's normal, my doctor, please?...

- Image from superuser.com topic above.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I've too a lot of traffic, which I can see live in Process Hacker/Network tab. Ex. I see many Remote Address domain 1e100.net connections ... it's Google or rather 1 googol and is related to google safe browsing (but not only...) feature in my browser.
So in my browser I try Tools/Options/Security tab - here I've notched "Warn you..." , "Block dangerous and deceptive content" etc boxes of safe browsing.
To look on the result I've unnotched these safe browsing boxes... to see.
After doing that, I've restarted an website - and see the same amount of 1e100.net connections (about 7). Nothing to do, NO privacy, Google will be there.
Found ample explications on techjunkie.com here: The Mysterious 1e100.net: The Mysterious 1e100.net
... "What on Earth is 1e100.net? Well, if you are enough of a math geek, you know that the “e” symbol stands for exponentiation, and “1e100” means 1×10 to the 100th power. That’s a big number…in fact, it’s a number so large that it’s called a “googol” – a one followed by 100 zeroes. Hmmm, googol, googol…what’s familiar about that word? Ah yes – it sounds just like Google. And that’s because Google is named after googol, and 1e100.net is one of Google’s domains. " ...
(In about:config I've enabled = set to true, these three: browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled and browser.safebrowsing.phishing.enabled and browser.safebrowsing.downloads.enabled).
..."you now know it’s not spyware or malware. It’s Google.".

On another website - superuser.com we read:
What is 1e100.net and why do I have TCP ports open to it? : What is 1e100.net and why do I have TCP ports open to it?
These Google safebrowsing connections "tells Google what you're browsing". So "Google can know all the sites you visit".
"Here is the truth. Google tracks you, me and everybody!
Lots of Google services use 1e100.net but that doesn't mean 1e100 is just for the services you want to have. For example Google safebrowsing feature(or I should say snitch) is being used no matter what you choose. Even if you disable any option on chrome to prevent safebrowsing, you will still have lots of connections to 1e100.net.
I have been trying to block all connections to 1e100.net but no luck! If you are using Google Chrome or any other Chrome based browser (Comodo Dragon, Yandex Browser and so on), your browser WILL send the URL you are visiting to Google. Even if you tell Chrome not to do that!" ...
... "Google started with the motto "Don't be evil" but I say, "Don't be evil, says the devil".

I recommend to use Firefox as browser (of course you will still need to disable safebrowing in Firefox) and stop using Google products. I know it is a painful experience to do it but it had to be done!" ...
"Here is the truth." : "If a person doesn't know that Google [very efficiently] tracks them, then they live under a rock. It's how their advertising engine knows how to target you." ...
View attachment 231525
Nothing to do, Google will be there. NO privacy.
In my "Local connection status" I see just now: Activity: 1060000 bytes send, and 10800000 bytes received... it's normal, my doctor, please?...

- Image from superuser.com topic above.
Browsers like Firefox, Brave and Safari (these three I know for sure) download the safebrowsing blocklist periodically and check locally so no traffic, other than the blocklist download, goes to Google.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront,
To have display of date (and hour) - use Yippy.com:
https://www.yippy.com/ - the best for this very handy feature ...

Regarding Yippy

According to their Privacy Policy page, they do not collect any personally identifiable information such as name, telephone number, address, or even your email address. Moreover, Yippy does not use cookies to uniquely identify or track user behavior.

Unquote

and

Officially the company does not collect information that could identify users (something spelled out in its privacy policy).

However, be aware that IP address information may be collected, along with “browser type, browser language, referral data, the date and time of your query and one or more cookies…that may uniquely identify your browser while in a session.”

So while Yippy is more solid than Google when it comes to privacy, there’s still quite a lot going on underneath the surface which might alarm searchers.

Unquote

I doubt I'll use it.

Qwant is more privacy focused. But Qwant has a bad habit of blocking you sometimes when using a VPN

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@Prorootect

Your quote

I use Swisscows, Searx, Qwant Lite, Peekier, Toki, Yippy, Dogpile Web Search, DuckDuckGo too...

Unquote

There's an article here discussing some privacy search engines (including some of yours). Read the users' comments all the way down. They provide some very good pointers

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Prorootect
What security extensions are you using since you don't use Google safe browsing?
Hi Hemi, if I post my security configuration Ow! oh dear!, all bad guys will be able to know this, no riskyyy?...o_O ...:unsure:

yes use uBlock O., uMatrix, and SOME other traffic light guards hmmm above all: my brain

Reactions: Venustus

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Hello @HarborFront,
Yes - yippy, vpnpro.com, cookies...
vpnpro.com get 8 cookies in my browser... and why I get an overlay on the whole page and no more slider, after some time?
Hopefully I'm behind overlay killer extension...

Google (too Peekier ...) is able to set its cookies regardless of the fact that I have forbidden these in uMatrix. Some other websites too... Why and how?

Google get these three: 1P_JAR, NID, CONSENT.
Peekier send 1 cookie: _cfduid.
- but all cookies are cleared when my browsers close, so it's not big problem?..

Yippy.com, Swisscows, Qwant Lite, Disconnect, JittySearch, SearX instances, Startpage, toki (= search.anonymize.com), Gibberfish Search, DDG, Dogpile, JittySearch, MetaGer - doesn't send cookies.
But I've forbidden cookie positions in uMatrix, why not.
1577969467325.jpeg

Interesting:
What are internet cookies and how do they work?: What are Internet Cookies & How Do They Work? | VPNpro

I use frequently my about:home browser start page which send queries to DDG, no cookies indeed!;)(y)

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
using a VPN
Hmm, I don't use VPN.
Yippy has date with results.
Thanks for links!

I've added in one of my precedent posts here - post #9 - some links:
Gibberfish Search,
Infinity Search,
Mojeek
- and "Firefox: Privacy Related "about:config" Tweaks" link
- and suche.org full page of Firefox tweaks.

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Found another very privacy aware search engine:
search.privacytools.io: search.privacytools.io - powered by searx - 0.15.0 - a privacy-respecting metasearch engine ...
Another full confidence searx powered search engine:
search.disroot.org: searx

Look on Disroot.org https://disroot.org/en - Disroot is a platform providing online services based on principles of freedom, privacy, federation and decentralization. No tracking, no ads, no profiling, no data mining! - provide free email, cloud, upload, polls etc and: search, an anonymous multi search engine platform - so look on the link above ...

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I used Startpage til it started censoring results, so I switched to DDG, but it started to censor as well, so I am again looking for something new. :cautious:
This URL offers uncensored DDG results:
Code:
https://start.duckduckgo.com/?kp=-2

I find searx.info the best general search engine for an English speaker. I use Startpage only for its image search feature, although uncensored DDG is improving in that area. I like DDG for its calculator and converter features, which fully replace Google for my use. I haven't used Google search for about 5 years and I don't miss it at all :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.