Serious Discussion Best Stand Alone AV's

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I discuss that with all due respect, Mr. Administrator. Apple people don't use antivirus because their system is less used than Android. Android has much more users than IOS, therefore all malware focuses on attacking it, not because IOS has better security than Android.
What Mr. administrator stated about IOS vs Windoze boils down to one certain aspect and that's default file permissions. By default it's much more secure because of this and also habits play a key role here, without those, all the security you could squeeze into a system would be pointless.

So to sum up my stance on OPs original question, yes you can run just an AV with nothing else and be fine. You have to add healthy habits to this. Without the later no amount of layering products will protect you from yourself indefinitely.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 9.14.53 AM.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I experimented with the most recent ESET release. I wanted to test the "Essential" version, but they only offer the Premium one. ESET defaults, in my experience, are adequate but not strong. The usability of HIPS, or firewall, still lacks improvements or safe lists. Setting Firewall and HIPS to "interactive" mode is the simplest configuration to enhance ESET's protection. Dealing with interactive mode is a nightmare! Effectively using HIPS requires effort and work to configure it. If you're comfortable with HIPS configuration and know how to use it, ESET standalone can provide powerful protection.
I'm currently running NOD32 in HIPS learning mode for another +10 days then will try interactive to see what effect if any on my normal usage. I'm guessing that I'm not going to see much interactivity ... :unsure:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
You can upgrade to Windows 11 if you use Microsoft's workaround. But there's no real need to, as Windows 10 gets security updates for two more years.
Is there an official MS workaround to install win11 on non-compliant hardware? Please provide link. I had read a few non-MS hacks, but decided I'd most likely break my computer, which otherwise is nicely stable with win10.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Is there an official MS workaround to install win11 on non-compliant hardware? Please provide link. I had read a few non-MS hacks, but decided I'd most likely break my computer, which otherwise is nicely stable with win10.
I think this is what your looking for, it more or less shows that MS doesn't really care if people install windows 11 on unsupported hardware.

I helped a buddy upgrade a 6 year old laptop Sunday and used this method, we had no issues, he fully updated it the next day and it activated correctly.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I'm currently running NOD32 in HIPS learning mode for another +10 days then will try interactive to see what effect if any on my normal usage. I'm guessing that I'm not going to see much interactivity ... :unsure:
I find the safe list preferable to the learning mode, which ESET lacks. When in learning mode, ESET will record all manually or automatically run apps or activities. Once that's done, interactive mode will notify you of new apps or apps on the system that you didn't access in learning mode.
@BryanB's suggestion to use Rufus for installing Windows 11 on an unsupported system is excellent. Windows Update won't provide major builds for unsupported systems, but you can manually upgrade.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I think this is what your looking for, it more or less shows that MS doesn't really care if people install windows 11 on unsupported hardware.
seems not worth the effort... "not recommended" etc etc but thanks for the link.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
seems not worth the effort... "not recommended" etc etc but thanks for the link.
If you want to upgrade, all you have to do is download the ISO file, which you can easily do with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. You can open the download file in Explorer, which will mount it as a new drive. Then open a Command window, enter the drive letter e.g. E:, followed by setup/product server. So if the new drive is E:, you would enter
Code:
e:setup/product server
. While Microsoft don't recommend upgrading on unsupported hardware, Windows 11 usually will run just fine as it doesn't actually need a TPM 2.0 chip or an 8th gen CPU to run and typically it will be faster than Windows 10.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
In my experience Windows 11 is just as stable as Windows 10. Microsoft claim that it is more stable than Windows 10, if you run it on supported hardware. But I'm running it on ten year old hardware.
I saw Brians (Britec09) video on You Tube about the coming Windows 12. It doesn't sound good at all with AI etc. Brian was very worried too. If Windows start with that I will use Linux or Apple. Let's see. There is time enough.

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Kaspersky will give you the option to not install the VPN or PM when installing the main AV. The option to enable them will still be in the panels, though. I do get what you're saying about all of the options and panels, but the Kaspersky search box can be very helpful. IMO and from personal use, Kaspersky is more stable, less glitches, and uses less processes and memory. BD will have its occasional glitches, uses more processes and memory but if you have enough onboard memory, that may not matter. They both use their own Root certificates for website verification and online protection features.

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
@Digmor Crusher just a couple of other nice usability features (not trying to sell you) is that with Kaspersky you can open the app in full-screen mode. It helps to see more of the modules on the corresponding Security, Performance, Privacy tabs. You can also drag the pop-up windows by the corners, to expand them. With BD, you don't have those options. Kaspersky Standard has a couple less modules, like the HD monitor and Smart Home Monitor. I also find the Timline on the Home screen to be helpful.

Last edited:

Smoke

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2014
I've always preferred ESET and Kaspersky though I also liked the simplicity of Emsisoft when I used it. Right now I just want one that will give me a firewall that functions similar to simplewall (default block until user confirms whether or not to allow). Any suggestions?

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I've always preferred ESET and Kaspersky though I also liked the simplicity of Emsisoft when I used it. Right now I just want one that will give me a firewall that functions similar to simplewall (default block until user confirms whether or not to allow). Any suggestions?

I'm using the free version of Glasswire with F-Secure for that reason, to confirm the first outbound connection. I think you need to buy the Premium verion to allow more options.

With Bitdefender, you can enable it to Alert you, but some members complained that after an app update, you'll get the prompt again, which can be annoying.
firewall alert mode.jpg

edit:sp

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Nice response to this thread, thanks everyone. So after pondering and ruminitions I've come to the conclusion that the best AV to be used as a singular protection entity ( with safe browsing habits) is Kaspersky.
With your updated post edit, some of my follow-up replies may not make continuity sense, but I like your chioce :)

partha_roy

Level 3
Well-known
Oct 16, 2022
You should consider giving Vipre Advanced Security a try. Its firewall performs exceptionally well, providing top-notch protection.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I used Emsisoft for several years and really liked it, however when they went to the management console and got rid of their forum I ditched them. Even used Online Armour for awhile.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.