Serious Discussion Best Stand Alone AV's

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Subjective meaning of others opinions not facts. If we place fact, there is no best, they all have good and bad days and can be bypassed, although, and it comes down to this, that's negated with habits not with piling on more.

Everytime one of these threads are created it turns into "this is my favorite." Which is as I stated "subjective"

Personally I find being attentive in our surroundings on the net with good habits is better any day then waiting until the product screams, you were infected, I cleaned it up, but broke the files it was associated with, now your system is unstable, oh and they took a bunch of your info before I shut it down, and the C&C server nows has your address.

More focus is placed in products than what needs to be, almost like a PR department. See my point.
That's fine and dandy but probably 75 % of computer users don't know or care. Maybe, just maybe, if some of them come to this forum, accidently or on purpose, they might learn something.:p And as per usual, if someone does not like a thread then just don't post in it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Reality is that Antivirus (Internet Security) software are ineffective.

A layered approach is superior.
  1. Latest versions of (OS) Windows with security updates, and built-in Microsoft Defender Antivirus. There are third-party tools for MDA that allow users to access previously non-configurable settings from the GUI. If you are not fond of MDA, choose another reliable Antivirus that is compatible with your software and hardware.
  2. Modern browser with built-in passive protection (ie. Google SafeBrowsing) with an extension for content blocker (block ads, trackers, harmful domains).
  3. Network-based protection either DNS-based filtering, or a VPN.
  4. Multiple data backups
    • Encrypted, cloud storage
    • Local storage

Avoid:
  • Unsupported builds of Windows 11
  • Windows 10 or older
  • Multiple Antivirus software
  • Combining 2 Internet Security Suites
  • Beta versions of real-time security software
  • Outdated browsers
  • Warez
  • Malware testing

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
Malwarebytes premium with browser guard the web protection catches things avast and avg has missed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Russo
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

That's fine and dandy but probably 75 % of computer users don't know or care. Maybe, just maybe, if some of them come to this forum, accidently or on purpose, they might learn something.:p And as per usual, if someone does not like a thread then just don't post in it.
Cool then maybe the "i like norton or kasperky" response can put why or how its the "best: standalone so users can learn from this. Its all i see is users stating i like a product. Thats not teaching, its confusing at best for someone looking to learn about security.

You are quite right though, a user can just turn a blind eye to this and say ok i wont post there and help others understand that this forum is full of that exact same thing repeatedly.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Reality is that Antivirus (Internet Security) software are ineffective.

A layered approach is superior.
False! Blanket statements are pointless. Solutions and layers vary based on factors like features, efficacy, false positives, performance, compatibility, usability, user type, and usage. The user affects the efficiency, advantages, and disadvantages of both approaches.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
False! Blanket statements are pointless. Solutions and layers vary based on factors like features, efficacy, false positives, performance, compatibility, usability, user type, and usage. The user affects the efficiency, advantages, and disadvantages of both approaches.
A standalone Antivirus cannot provide OS updates, block ads and trackers, prevent phishing attempts, or restore data.

Millions of iOS users don’t have the "safety of an Antivirus", yet are better off than most Windows infected users who spend hundreds of dollars on an Antivirus with nothing to show for it.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
how do I (& others with functioning but older hardware) avoid win10, run Linux? (I can & sometimes do run Linux -- is it impossible for MS to make win11 more compatible with older but solid hardware?? :unsure:
My desktop is 11 years old, I have no choice but to run W10 until I get a new one. And in no way do I feel unsafe, now if we're talking W7 or 8.....;)

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

how do I (& others with functioning but older hardware) avoid win10, run Linux? (I can & sometimes do run Linux -- is it impossible for MS to make win11 more compatible with older but solid hardware?? :unsure:
Im not sure why that was posted as well, windows 10 will still receive new features and bug fixes, security updates until 2025. Windows 10 being older will be more stable as they continue to iron out bugs of windows 11.

It was hard for me not to say, just do it already, linux, yes please lol

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Im not sure why that was posted as well, windows 10 will still receive new features and bug fixes, security updates until 2025. Windows 10 being older will be more stable as they continue to iron out bugs of windows 11.

It was hard for me not to say, just do it already, linux, yes please lol

For your Spoiler, if you haven't seen this one yet :)

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

A standalone Antivirus cannot provide OS updates, block ads and trackers, prevent phishing attempts, or restore data.

Millions of iOS users don’t have the "safety of an Antivirus", yet are better off than most Windows infected users who spend hundreds of dollars on an Antivirus with nothing to show for it.
OS updates and restoration features from an antivirus? Seriously? How about including PDF, Office, as well as an OS? This comment of yours is just an excessive attempt to rationalize your previous comment.

Windows and iOS are like two different planets. Each one has its own strengths, weaknesses, and experiences. According to your perception, everyone should use Linux. Once again, the comment is not relevant to the topic—that layered security is superior to a security suite. (Avoid confusing the topic with unrelated features like OS updates, data restoration, and OS.)

I'm quite surprised by your comments, my friend!

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 100397

Windows 10 is an actively supported OS with critical and security updates, ensuring its security is on par with or better than Windows 11, as Windows 10 is more stable.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I guess maybe not seeing that you are using it now along with Cyberlock. But would you use it without CL?
I experimented with the most recent ESET release. I wanted to test the "Essential" version, but they only offer the Premium one. ESET defaults, in my experience, are adequate but not strong. The usability of HIPS, or firewall, still lacks improvements or safe lists. Setting Firewall and HIPS to "interactive" mode is the simplest configuration to enhance ESET's protection. Dealing with interactive mode is a nightmare! Effectively using HIPS requires effort and work to configure it. If you're comfortable with HIPS configuration and know how to use it, ESET standalone can provide powerful protection.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Windows 10 is an actively supported OS with critical and security updates, ensuring its security is on par with or better than Windows 11, as Windows 10 is more stable.
In my experience Windows 11 is just as stable as Windows 10. Microsoft claim that it is more stable than Windows 10, if you run it on supported hardware. But I'm running it on ten year old hardware.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020

I discuss that with all due respect, Mr. Administrator. Apple people don't use antivirus because their system is less used than Android. Android has much more users than IOS, therefore all malware focuses on attacking it, not because IOS has better security than Android.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.