Advice Request Best web browser for speed and security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Slimjet is really worth trying. Though not based on latest chromium but very light, uses only 80-100 MB RAM on my system and 120 MB on live streaming. You also have access to all chrome extensions.

(y) It's underrated in terms of speed and lightness. Really Sj my second favorite behind Avast Secure Browser over Vivaldi, but the development of Vivaldi interests me, so I use it on occasion at this time. Slimjet is beautifully simple and light, but not 100% sure about the privacy. Probably it's good, but I just don't know. Avast, well they will get some information, but my feeling is the information won't be used against anyone. Also ASB gathering tools seem to be much quieter than Chrome. Not noticing the tools parading around the system as with Google. Slimjet may be even quieter though as it seems so to me. Both have been very well behaved in use here.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
If you want stable security and fast patching, you're thinking about Chrome.

If you don't want a browser that consumes resources, then you're not thinking about security.

Flashy updates, decent protection and stability comes with a price. You won't find a perfect, light, stable, secure, private browser.

You're better off installing Chrome latest version.
I hope the new Chromium based Edge will change that. As secure as Google Chrome but with less Google :unsure:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Chrome and Edge are winners for security.
If you want pages to load fast in Chrome, disable images and javascript by default, and enable them only for the sites that you need them.

Most other Chromium-based browsers are not getting patched as quick as Chrome, so you are sacrificing security.
This is surely so if you use a Firefox fork. There is no way the little guys can patch their software like the big companies do.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
One of the issues with Chromium-based browsers is that they tend to be behind on updates. For example Slimjet seems to be behind (at least based on the changelog in their website)

However I have noticed Brave has been very fast implementing updates. That in addition to built-in adblocker, script-blocker and fingerprint protection makes it good in terms of privacy and security. I recommend trying it.

I have been trying Brave for desktop for a while I have been liking it so far.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
One of the issues with Chromium-based browsers is that they tend to be behind on updates. For example Slimjet seems to be behind (at least based on the changelog in their website)

However I have noticed Brave has been very fast implementing updates. That in addition to built-in adblocker, script-blocker and fingerprint protection makes it good in terms of privacy and security. I recommend trying it.

I have been trying Brave for desktop for a while I have been liking it so far.

Yes, the released version is keeping pace with latest Chrome builds.

@Spawn - I don't see this in my Brave global shields settings:

1554062924808.png

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I hope the new Chromium based Edge will change that. As secure as Google Chrome but with less Google :unsure:
I don't know. Google is a privacy concern because they tend to deep investigate your habits in order to make Google searches better. Microsoft has Bing searches too. They both have SO in mobile and PC, they both offer lots of services, they both need your data. I can't find differences between MS and Google in terms of privacy. Just pick somebody to use your data and stick with it :p

L

Local Host

You won't find faster and more secure than Chrome, you shouldn't make a fuss about RAM unless you have a memory leak.

Software is supposed to use as much RAM as it can (and needs) without affecting your performance, Chrome being a fine example that will accomodate to the RAM you have (while a build with 16GB Chrome can use up to 8GB, in a 8GB build Chrome won't use more than 4GB).
Deus Ex takes over 12GB, Windows takes another 2GB and once you launch steam browser, expect a crash (game or browser), from an experience.
Deus Ex would only take such amounts of RAM if you lack VRAM or have a memory leak, turn down the settings to match your VRAM. At 1440p (High~Ultra settings) it barely uses 4GB of RAM.
I don't know. Google is a privacy concern because they tend to deep investigate your habits in order to make Google searches better. Microsoft has Bing searches too. They both have SO in mobile and PC, they both offer lots of services, they both need your data. I can't find differences between MS and Google in terms of privacy. Just pick somebody to use your data and stick with it :p
Except Microsoft doesn't need your data, they get their money from the Enterprise and have been selling both Software and Hardware for years, while Google offers most of their services for "free" (you pay Google with your data).

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
This is surely so if you use a Firefox fork. There is no way the little guys can patch their software like the big companies do.
palemoon/basilisk are going their own way, only adopting some of mozzillas security patches
Moonchild said that they are fine without any updates from mozilla, but if they can benefit from the security updates..theres no reason to not profit from them

In many ways palemoon can be more secure than firefox is, no1 is targetting palemoon either, why would they?

Waterfox etc. are different story

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
palemoon/basilisk are going their own way, only adopting some of mozzillas security patches
Moonchild said that they are fine without any updates from mozilla, but if they can benefit from the security updates..theres no reason to not profit from them

In many ways palemoon can be more secure than firefox is, no1 is targetting palemoon either, why would they?

Waterfox etc. are different story
Some exploits work on a wide variety of browsers. It's really hard to know about all the possible vulnerabilities, you need to be Travis Ormandy, and also to work as hard as he does.

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Memory Savings in Brave: 33% to 66% memory reduction over Chrome

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I'm currently very impressed with the dev version on the new Chromium based Edge browser. One big upside I see straight away is there's no need to install Google Chrome anymore if we don't want to, meaning 1 less third party piece of software and a web browser at that. I will still use Chrome but mainly on other OS's.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.