Advice Request Best windows software firewall free or paid?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
If you're running Windows 10 or 11, the built-in firewall is very good. Many antivirus also have firewalls, and good ones like Kaspersky. So, what is your antivirus? Do you run W10 or 11? I use Windows firewall with Andy Ful Firewall Hardening and SimpleWindowsHardening. I's a good way to go.

Check this thread

Last edited:

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
To me "best" in this case is software that requires little or no input from me to set it up and use. Others may have a different definition about the "best" firewall.

Currently I use Windows Defender with DefenderUI 1.02, Interactive Profile.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Glasswire without a doubt. SpyShelter Firewall is also very good. I used them both, SpyShelter is a kind of advanced security software.

Reactions: [correlate]

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Hardware Firewalls are good if your on a home network though most routers have a basic one of these. I used to run a separate hardware firewall years ago.
- Comodo Firewall is good though IPv6 needs to be enabled and ICMP rules added. It also has Containment/sandboxing which you'd normally see in a full AV suite.
- Microsoft's firewall is a lot better these days but add FirewallHardening to add block rules for LOLbins etc.
- I echo the GlassWire Pro
- Not tried Binsoft/MBytes Firewall Control yet

Reactions: Shadowra

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Tinywall for me.
Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control (only used it when it was still Binisoft but really liked it).

I never had a firewall that couldn't recognize the second exe a game uses for the ingame shop till I used glasswire. Last time I check glasswire still wasn't able to keep the A>Z sorting of apps after a reboot. I had to contact them for quite a few things (most of them fixed now) but I never had to do that for the other firewalls I used over the years (in that amount).

kdestrukt

Jun 18, 2022
simplewall by henry++ . written in C, size less than a megabyte

simplewall is not a control UI over Windows Firewall, and does not interact in any level with Windows Firewall. It works over Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) which is a set of API and system services that provide a platform for creating network filtering applications. Windows Filtering Platform is a development technology and not a firewall itself, but simplewall is the tool that uses this technology.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.