Battle Better Combo Security Softwares

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
The best combo for a Windows computer is: Hard_Configurator with Windows Defender. Best compatibility and great teamwork.

avast IS+Voodooshield Free: Overkill
Emsisoft AM+Voodooshield Free+Sandboxie Free: Overkill AF
COMODO FW+Sandboxie Free: What? This combo isn't making sense.
Voodooshield Free/Pro+Sandboxie Free: Good.
NVT EXE PRO+ESET IS: Good.

D

Deleted member 178

I will give you my secret uber-secured combo recipe for paranoids:

1- one real-time scanner with some preventive feature : in my case Emsisoft AM and its BB.
2- one anti-exploit: in my case HMPA, another choice is MBAE.
3- one anti-exe or SRP: in my case Appguard, another choice is NVT ExeRadarPro.
4- one sandbox: in my case ReHIPS , another choice is Sandboxie.

About the poll, Comodo FW and Sandboxie is redundant.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Overkill has a very different meaning for many people and even for one man when using two computers.:)
Personally, on Windows 10, I would not recommend any combo enumerated in the poll, for possible compatibility problems (broken updates, BSOD, hidden software incompatibility, etc.). You can use a third-party combo without issues for months, but there is always a matter of time when it fails. Why?
Windows 10 is evolving too quickly for third-party developers. (n)
It affects especially the free versions of paid software, because the free is always adapted after paid.
But anyway, on my father's old XP computer, I installed:
Comodo Firewall (CS settings), Sandboxie (paid), Shadow Defender (on boot).
In the above setup Shadow Defender + Comodo Firewall protect the system disk. Sandboxie high customized sandboxes allow using and updating software installed inside sandboxes on the secondary disk. Furthermore, I do not consider that config as overkill, on that computer, with my father in front of it.(y)

Last edited:

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
In my machine ESET antivirus + Voodooshield works great. No start up delays, no conflicts. Very light combo.
I used avast free + voodooshield before but Avast didn't like to play well with voodooshield. Which means slow system (even with intel i7 and 8GB Ram) and conflict.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I am using Comodo FW + Avast and Comodo FW + Qihoo 360 on different PCs. Fits my style of computing well. I don't install much so I can use Comodo HIPS and get to know more about applications to be more aware of what's happening on a PC etc. I like that about Comodo. Its auto-sandbox is an ever present reminder that something is either improperly signed/unsigned/maliciious by Comodo's rating. Great. Still Comodo is not without its run-time issues. It can break or start and stop or request a reinstall of itself. This is o/c maddening since its not possible to know if malware could be causing the issue or whatever but it only happens rarely or I would definitely get rid of CFW.

You have some good choices, but I agree sandboxie with CFW may be a touch overkill. Then again if you like to sandbox the browser, you may like Sandboxie better than the Comodo sandboxing. I used the Qihoo sandbox because I like it better...seems smoother. Avast is good combined with anything almost, because of the possibility to harden avast. It can be paired with many other apps. Of all the choices you listed, the second one does seem most interesting. NVT ERP is great because it tells you things a-vs sometimes won't explicitly say (like unsigned etc.) and because of its easily tweakable vulnerables list. Really good kind of real time second opinion that doesn't require alot of work to use.

I also have AppCheck A/R, EMET (carefully configured), and Zemana A/M (real time on) for scans on my main PC. These are just for the case where I may allow something to run via Comodo that would turn out to be malware. No issues yet. One other app I almost forgot is Easy File Locker. I recommend everyone take a look at this app for protecting files from malware damage. Using Easy File Locker it is possible to set protection zones and then say what is allowed to write to the area for each zone separately...:)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It's a matter of taste, and more than that, it depends which security softs work best for you. They all have their quirks...
Any combo that includes an anti-exe is good.

IMHO Sandboxie is an awesome app, but it is a little passe, because it is so rare nowadays for your apps to get exploited -- assuming that you are running good, updated software and OS. Sandboxie is just an elegant icing on the cake.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
My choice in the poll is "Others": Comodo FW + any good detection AV (Avast, Zemana, AVG, Panda, Avira ... up to your taste).

Exactly what he said.

I just tossed a vote to this = COMODO FW+Sandboxie Free because its light and should work great. However... Comodo FW HAS a sandbox.. so two sandboxes arent good at once. I think?

The Sandboxie isnt needed, if Comodo Firewall settings are tweaked up.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Exactly what he said.

I just tossed a vote to this = COMODO FW+Sandboxie Free because its light and should work great. However... Comodo FW HAS a sandbox.. so two sandboxes arent good at once. I think?

The Sandboxie isnt needed, if Comodo Firewall settings are tweaked up.
Depends what you want to do with the sandbox.
For instance, if you want to run MS Office apps sandboxed, on a regular basis, then you need Sandboxie (beta version), because of Microsoft licensing.
If you try to run these apps in Comodo sandbox, or even in Sandboxie stable version, after five minutes you will get an error message, and the app will close. Sandboxie gives you much better control over sandboxed apps, if you want to get into it.
I tried CFW+SBIE and it did not conflict.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.