Battle Better Combo Security Softwares

D

Deleted member 65228

If I had to use products mentioned in the poll then here are some ideas from me.

1. Avast Internet Security (+ Hardened Mode to make it stronger if necessary)
2. Windows Firewall
3. HitmanPro (on-demand)

1. Emsisoft Anti-Malware
2. Windows Firewall
3. HitmanPro (on-demand)

Add Sandboxie to either #1 or #2 for sandboxing the web browser if necessary. In both configuration cases, User Account Control (default as minimum - max) and SmartScreen enabled, and Windows 10 for the internal security improvements (newer versions of Windows are more stable and secure internally). Clean backup image say on case, important documents backed up regularly if possible.

Pretty basic and should keep you safe, assuming you make good decisions as well.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If I had to use products mentioned in the poll then here are some ideas from me.

1. Avast Internet Security (+ Hardened Mode to make it stronger if necessary)
2. Windows Firewall
3. HitmanPro (on-demand)

1. Emsisoft Anti-Malware
2. Windows Firewall
3. HitmanPro (on-demand)

Add Sandboxie to either #1 or #2 for sandboxing the web browser if necessary. In both configuration cases, User Account Control (default as minimum - max) and SmartScreen enabled, and Windows 10 for the internal security improvements (newer versions of Windows are more stable and secure internally). Clean backup image say on case, important documents backed up regularly if possible.

Pretty basic and should keep you safe, assuming you make good decisions as well.
Those were exactly the setups I used some time ago on my Windows 8.1 computers (including Sandboxie).:)
Sandboxie is one of my favorite software, ever. But, in Windows 10, Sandboxie had hard times because it uses aggressive hooks. If this not works on the concrete computer, then one can consider using the combo with ReHips instead. ReHips utilizes Windows built-in mechanisms only, so it has much less problems with Windows 10, but it is not as useful as Sandboxie.

L

Local Host

Overkill has a very different meaning for many people and even for one man when using two computers.:)
Personally, on Windows 10, I would not recommend any combo enumerated in the poll, for possible compatibility problems (broken updates, BSOD, hidden software incompatibility, etc.). You can use a third-party combo without issues for months, but there is always a matter of time when it fails. Why?
Windows 10 is evolving too quickly for third-party developers. (n)
It affects especially the free versions of paid software, because the free is always adapted after paid.
But anyway, on my father's old XP computer, I installed:
Comodo Firewall (CS settings), Sandboxie (paid), Shadow Defender (on boot).
In the above setup Shadow Defender + Comodo Firewall protect the system disk. Sandboxie high customized sandboxes allow using and updating software installed inside sandboxes on the secondary disk. Furthermore, I do not consider that config as overkill, on that computer, with my father in front of it.(y)
I find overkill all this combos, any experienced user can go years without any third-party security software (did it for 10y).

Currently I'm using Panda Free Anti-Virus only cause it uses 0 resources on my desktop, while Windows Defender that comes with W10 slows my system down.

Node

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2017
I wouldn't call some an "overkill". Generally it just depends on your knowledge with computers and how well your system performs. Some software will work flawlessly on a specific system and act like a brick on another. As for your level of knowledge with computers, you may not need specific forms of software as you use common sense. Personally I suggest testing things out on your own and see what works best for you.

(In before someone blasts me for promoting common sense.)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
1: Immunet

2: NVT.EXE Radar

3: OS Armor

Regards Eck:giggle:

Is Immunet an actively developed product? Just looking at their website..
Immunet AntiVirus

And some tough opinions on Immunet..
Q&A - Opinions on Immunet?

What attracts you to Immunet Eck?

And.... Eck, glad to see you hanging out 'over here' more often.

We used to interact sometimes back in the day... 'over there.'

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Immunet AntiVirus

It`s funny that you ask if Immunet is still in development Burritto as I`ve just got an alert from them to update to the latest version. So that`ll be a yes.

What I like about it is that it has a decent detection rate while being incredibly light(providing you don`t enable Clam AV) Also it has never caused any problems with any other of my security softs so I like to add it to my other security combos.

It has to be said that Immunet is not the prettiest and has no real zero day component but I just find it the perfect compliment if you do have a good HIPS etc set up.

I`m off work for a while so I`m able to float around here at MT a bit more than usual which is a boon.:cool:

Yes our back in the day discussions `over there ` good of you to remember.(I actually nominated Immunet `over there` once but it was ignored in the final results such is disdain that it`s held in LOL. I think I`ll include a large screen shot next time. ?)

No doubt we will bump into each other here again soon.

Take care

Regards Eck:giggle:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
best combo for me.
Avast + syshardener
KFA + OSArmor.
webroot secureanywhere + VS
360TS+ VS
360 TS esential + CFW
IMMUNET + CFW
And for last i tried now and i thing is the best
Hard_Configurator with Windows Defender.
I have tried all this combo for quite some time and I say it with confidence is very safe and without delays and problems

Immunet AntiVirus

Immunet have good detection rate. But only this. Is good and very light combo with CFW

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Chromium edge + ublock origin + smartscreen enabled. Chrome://flags > block downloads over insecure connections

Windows defender + configure defender (max)

And as filler one of below products:
- Comodo firewall Free( cs+ training mode hips)
- Zonealarm firewall free
- OSArmor
- Syshardener ( basic settings)
- RE:HIPS
- APPcheck anti-ransomware free
- Voodooshield

im using :
- documentsantiexploit ( andys)
- Runbysmartscreen ( andys)

I think basic idea for my optimal config is avoiding 3rd party antivirus and using as much protection as windows offers

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I see hard configurator in this list ,is it hard to use and is it recommended for experts only?Thks
H_C is recommended for advanced users (not experts), and for them, it is as easy to configure and use as any advanced AV. It can be used by casual users if initially configured by an advanced user and with the occasional help from the advanced user.
It is not for the average users who cannot get occasional help from the advanced user (friend, family member, etc.). (y)
More information: Hard_Configurator

Edit.
Hard_Configurator can be used alongside any AV, especially with Windows Defender or Avast.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I see hard configurator in this list ,is it hard to use and is it recommended for experts only?Thks

H_C is recommended for advanced users (not experts), and for them, it is as easy to configure and use as any advanced AV. It can be used by casual users if initially configured by an advanced user and with the occasional help from the advanced user.

And you have the H_C thread for questions or issues. It is "custom" customer support! (y)

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Immunet need to clean up that GUI they said they would do 5 years ago, and the site says nothing up-to date and the FAQ goes on about compatibality with 2007 products... Immunet uses two cloud engines, what are they? How do they work? Not only that, the Immunet privacy policy is now the Cisco one which is far from great let's put it that way. It looks abandoned, and it's embarrassing.

Reactions: AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.