biozfear's alternative config (updated 10/4/12)

P

Plexx

Thread author
Other tools installed:
*CCleaner (with auto update check);
*Unlocker 1.9.1;
*Lastpass (optional);
*Puran Defrag;
*Windows 7 Backup utility;
*Libreoffice;
*ImgBurn;
*Winamp (free);
*VLC Player.

Settings modified:
*UAC turned on to max;
*Automatic Download of Windows updates;
*Windows 7 Firewall turned on;
*System Restore Enabled;
*Easy Privacy and Malware added to ABP.

A bit to know about this configuration:
This configuration is the one I have used on friend's system suited for beginner level more than intermediate. I usually help friends fixing their system via Teamviewer, unless I can have physical access to their system.

I have taught them the basics on this config.

No Paid Internet suite or paid software has been added as I am not sure if they have the budget for it.

Any input is welcomed as well as I would like to thank all the users who posted their opinions on my 2 other configurations since it helped me finding a beginner friendly configuration.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
RE: biozfear's alternative config

Revo Uninstaller Free does not work on 64 bit OS's. You must pay for the Pro version. Ghostery is not needed. Just add these 2 URL's to AdBlock Plus:

Easy Privacy: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easyprivacy.txt

Malware: http://malwaredomains.lanik.us/malwaredomains_full.txt

Also she should obtain an external HDD and use Windows 7 Backup and Recovery one a week. You can add Emet to harden the system and your all set.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Completely forgot about Revo on 64 bits.

Any good alternative?

She bought also an External HDD today since I told her to buy it.

I'll try to add those 2 url's on to ABP and remove Ghostery later via Teamviewer.

Backup will be set accordingly as well.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

You don't need an uninstaller honestly. Unless you have a hard problem and cannot remove a certain program. Uninstall via Add/Remove programs then use CCleaner registry cleaner to find the left overs.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Ok cool, I will advise them to just uninstall Revo Uninstaller.

URLs will be added later on to ABP when I can access the system.

Config has been updated.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Revo Uninstaller Free/Portable does work on Windows 64-bit, but it won't detect or uninstall programs in the Program Files folder.
But if you (you friend) won't be installing/uninstalling a lot of applications, then it's questionable whether you want it or not.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011

There is no purpose in using a program that does not fully support Windows 7 64 unless you pay for it. Using the built in uninstaller is just fine for a beginner.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Done: Ghostery removed, links added, Revo removed. All via Teamviewer.
Backup schedule: 1 week.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Maximus said:
There is no purpose in using a program that does not fully support Windows 7 64 unless you pay for it. Using the built in uninstaller is just fine for a beginner.

I was just correcting what you said, and I did say it's up to biozfear whether it's needed, because Revo Uninstaller Free works perfectly fine for non-64-bit installations.

Biozfear, as always you can use the portable version for 32-bit installed programs.

Hopefully there won't be any more problems.

I'll have to have a look at TeamViewer, as few members here use it, including you.

P

Plexx

Thread author

In case I have to adapt this config to another user who uses a 32bit architecture I will install Revo Uninstaller Free.

Eventually I will need an Intermediate config but with free versions as well. Panda so far is fine for the systems I have installed it.

Teamviewer is handy for remote assistance and I like it mainly because it is portable since you can opt to install or simply run.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011

correct me if I am wrong but comodo program manager can delete all the reg and files when a program gets uninstalled by CPM. You will need to install it with CPM of course. I haven't tried the latest version.

I have recommend this software since it's 64bit compatible and quite feature-rich.

OFFTOPIC

I am not promoter for COMODO but I suggest products that I think are worth mentioning.

P

Plexx

Thread author

Since the users of this config are beginners, using the default programs removal should be fine.

Config updated: Added EMET ( I knew I forgot something and Maximus pointed out).

P

Plexx

Thread author

Update on Alternative Config:

Added:
*Avast Free Antivirus;
*Puran Defrag;
*Paragon Backup and Recovery.

Removed:
*Panda Cloud AV Free;

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.