Not open for further replies.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
The New Bit Defender 2012 comes out very soon. Count down on there website

http://www.bitdefender.com.au/

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
Pretty good protection, a bit too much money for how it is out of other venders tho.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Quite a dramatic change in interface, though I must admit I like the look and feel of the 2011 range. Not quite convinced by the new GUI, maybe a bit too dark, but looking at the feedback on it, a lot of people are commenting that this seems to be a release they're actually intent on delivering top-notch features in sleeker interface. This is actually good intention, given how a number of other security providers use their AV core technology and beat them on style.

I have their mobile security BETA on Android [almost identical look] and the interface definitely works for mobile devices.

If anyone is interested in the product and considers purchase, there is a summer promo running until the end of July 2011 in which you can get any of their products for $19.99 [discounts up to 75%], pretty good price for an outstanding security application.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So expect probably like July 27, 2011 to release Bitdefender 2012 since the countdown (still counting) was 10 days.

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
i tried total 2012 as there was no Internet Security Suite available and i must admit i really liked it. The dark color is a bit too much darkness for my taste but i can handle it . The product itself is quite good and i might say much better than the previos one. Feels a lot lighter on my laptop.
good job BitDefender

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
I really liked Bit Defender 2011 when i had it. I may try the new one later on, i want to keep my avast at least a month lol.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
BitDefender 2011 Total Security is running very smooth and very fast:p I hope they continue well in 2012 version

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
many are facing the problem of BitDefender deleting important files from the system without notifying . Be careful with what you do with BitDefender

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
gery79 said:
many are facing the problem of BitDefender deleting important files from the system without notifying . Be careful with what you do with BitDefender
:eek:fftopic:
Thank you, I now believe that this is the cause to the issues I am having with my computer. Since I have had Windows 7 64-bit installed since September 2009, it wouldn't bother me if I did a reinstall of Windows. The only problem would making sure I have the correct drivers since this originally ran Vista 32-bit.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
gery79 said:

It definitely pays to change the default behavior for scans, which is something of an oversight of BD.
After I had some deployment files of a click-to-run application deleted during a scan, I changed the settings to prevent any accidental deletion.

There are couple of usability issues associated with this:
1. There is no global setting for this, you would have to edit the default behavior for each scan task.
2. The settings aren't easily accessible, so you have to go through a few steps to do this.

For BitDefender 2011:

1. Select Antivirus on the left-hand side.
2. Click on Virus Scan tab.
3. Click on Schedule button for the scan task you want to edit.
4. Select Overview tab in BitDefender - <your selected scan task name here> dialog.
5. Click on Custom button.
6. Scroll down to Action options node in BitDefender Custom Settings dialog.
7. Specify actions for infected, suspect and hidden file(s) found.
8. Click OK to save changes.

I quickly scanned the BD forums and as of June 24 2011 there was a recommendation to suggest implementing global action settings as a new feature for 2012 version. I couldn't find anything in 2012 BETA feedback and given that the release is a bit over 8 days away, chances are it might not be implemented.

Other than these settings, you may be prompted for system files as performing potentially unsafe operations based on your settings in Active Virus Control and IDS, which are available through Advanced Settings in Protection level panel of Antivirus/Shield tab. I get prompts for rundll32.exe and dllhost.exe, for example :s...

Edit: replaced "incidental deletion" with "accidental deletion".

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
gery79 said:

I have had that exact problem with bitdefender. Back in the vista days i was running Bitdefender, one time i was installing Service Pack 2 from Windows Update. Suddenly bitdefender detects a trojan and starts deleting files resulting in a very bricked system. A BitDefender product has never touched my system since.

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
All default settings are set to disinfect and if that does not work to qurantine so even if they were quaranteed I do not know how they would be deleted

G

Guest28

BitDefender is crap-ware in my opinion the traffic light it self bogs down my system. I have no idea why every other software works fine but my system hates Bitdifender.

G

Guest28

My experience, with it was not that great. I'm not saying it's crap-ware on all computers but on mine it is when all other software works on my main PC. I think if i installed BitDefender without traffic light it would work just fine. But for avast works better than BitDefender by along shot.

D

Deleted member 178

darkelixa said:
Whats so crap-ware about it? Runs better than avast on my pc

your system is abnormal, unable to use correctly EAM + OA hahaha (teasing, teasing ^^)

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
hopefully it is lighter as i am waiting for them on my 3 years license laying dead as per usability issues .

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
You can definitely say that BitDefender is an acquired taste for most. They have a long history of top-notch AV engine and usability issues, and it's not uncommon other providers using their AV core to have easier to use and more compatible package overall [BullGuard, F-Secure, G-Data].

I had issues with installing it on a Vista laptop, which had Outpost Firewall [well, Outpost Security Suite Free - for the sake of the firewall, since they discontinued the stand-alone free firewall] and Avira Free. I had to uninstall other applications which BitDefender flagged as incompatible, nevertheless the system ended up unbootable [not a big issue, just the slight disappointment and the inconvenience to restore an image]. So I ended up using NIS 2011 and kudos to Symantec for turning their products [and fortune] around and making them some of the lightest security solutions available.

On my current Win7 x64 PC, though, BD was the first thing I installed after OA Free, and I have to say I'm extremely impressed. So generally, it seems using BD is not as straightforward as some of the other comparable industry heavyweights, and it's a case of hit and miss, which is a shame :(, because it deserves better. Roll on 2012!

darkelixa

Thread author
Jul 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
darkelixa said:
Whats so crap-ware about it? Runs better than avast on my pc

your system is abnormal, unable to use correctly EAM + OA hahaha (teasing, teasing ^^)

I dont believe I am the only one who has experienced this bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.