Bit Defender AV Free (now in english )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Does anyone know what are the limitations in the free version?

I just installed it and I'm still checking it out. So far it is really light running beside Avast Free. I can find an option to run a on-demand scan, it only has Auto scan in idle. The real-time protection doesn't appear to be complete.

Thanks.:D

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Littlebits said:

I just installed it and I'm still checking it out. So far it is really light running beside Avast Free. I can find an option to run a on-demand scan, it only has Auto scan in idle. The real-time protection doesn't appear to be complete.

It seems that this is a on-demand scanner only, see the last paragraph in the image.

Bitdefender said:
Features and Benefits
  • Virus Scanning & Removal
    On-demand scanning - powerful scan engines ensure detection and removal of all viruses in the wild every time you need it.
  • Scheduled Scanning
    The Scheduler lets you plan ahead, and schedule full system/drive scans in the off hours, when you won't be using your computer.
  • Immediate Scanning
    With just a simple right-click, you can check your files and folders.
  • Quarantine
    By isolating the infected files in quarantine, the risk of getting infected diminishes. You also have the possibility to send these files for further analysis to Bitdefender Labs.
  • Reports
    When launching a scan you may choose to create a report file where you can see statistics about the scan process.

bdavfree.png

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
NathanF1 said:
Littlebits said:

It seems that this is a on-demand scanner only, see the last paragraph in the image.

Bitdefender said:
Features and Benefits
  • Virus Scanning & Removal
    On-demand scanning - powerful scan engines ensure detection and removal of all viruses in the wild every time you need it.
  • Scheduled Scanning
    The Scheduler lets you plan ahead, and schedule full system/drive scans in the off hours, when you won't be using your computer.
  • Immediate Scanning
    With just a simple right-click, you can check your files and folders.
  • Quarantine
    By isolating the infected files in quarantine, the risk of getting infected diminishes. You also have the possibility to send these files for further analysis to Bitdefender Labs.
  • Reports
    When launching a scan you may choose to create a report file where you can see statistics about the scan process.

bdavfree.png

That info applies to the 2009 free version not the new 2013 version which does have real-time protection. It has already blocked some malicious test sites.

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Apologies for this.

Might as well delete my post - I checked a few different local sites and this was all they had... I noticed the old logo, but didn't think much of it :s

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
In my OP , you have the page of the latest version

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
I will test it if it is good on my system. In wilder's thread, one member said that it has behaviour analysis included. There's still problem with quarantine and disinfecting files.

After testing it briefly, it seems to delete most of the stuff but here and there it quarantines certain stuff without any specifically logical reason. I've tossed over 50 old samples at it just to see how it behaves and it deleted all but 2. EICAR and one trojan. Not sure why were these two quarantined. Makes you wonder what kind of logic they use to decide what gets deleted and what quarantined...

Also Quarantine menu becomes visible once it quarantines at least 1 file. Otherwise it's not even listed in the GUI.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=338408

In case of False Positive, goodbye to your files. You need to redownload it again. It doesn't even go to quarantine.

TIP: after installation reboot your system. If you updated Bitdefender free, it will not be finished. It's a bug.

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
Littlebits said:
I know it will ask the removal of MBAM but it is an AV by itself (cloud AV, yes, but independent like Panda Cloud). Why run it beside another AV?

The "Virus Shield" is the realtime protection and the auto scan is the on-demand scanning module. Manual scan (e.g. from the GUI, not the context menu) is not possible so it basically runs a "never-ending" on-demand scan. quick scan once a day, and full scan once a week.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
done already, read the earlier posts , i gave a link

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:

sir i had already watched the test but it is different language i am not able to nderstand it clearly

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
Unknown said:
Umbra Corp. said:

sir i had already watched the test but it is different language i am not able to nderstand it clearly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p_uJtayFr0

i read through this thread i saw people are asking the same questions which IMO means that no one is reading through a thread..
for people who cannot download the free version (because bitdefender is redirecting automatically to their home site - not the.com one)use a proxy to access the .com site..
http://www.azproxies.com/proxy-lists/index.html
another thing: on demand scanner is not on demand protection!
the link provided by umbra leads to a good av software, with realtime protection, with active virus control tech, B-have tech, heuristic etc.

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
Installed it. BAV free didn't slow down my system even though my processor is only Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2500 @ 2.00 GHz and has only 1 GB ram. Internet speed is normal. Boot-time is slower by 2 seconds.

Manual scan is so slow. That's the only problem I encountered.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
woomera said:
does anyone knows the exact difference between free ver and bitdefender av?

BDAV = BDIS without FW, mainly the real AV from BD
BD AV Free = cloud simplistic automated RT AV

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
woomera said:

I have not used the paid 2013 version but from looking at some screenshots, they look like completely different products altogether.

AV_Main_UI.png

More screenshots are on their homepage- http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/antivirus.html

image003tp.png

Free version lacks many settings, most are automatically configured with no way to change them.

Here are a few differences that I noticed:

1. To run a on-demand scan of your system you must open Windows Explorer and right click on your hard drive(s) and select "Scan with BitDefender".

2. Can not configure Auto Scan, it runs in idle only.

3. Can not configure Product Behavior, it is set to Autopilot.

4. Can not manually add exclusions, after Active Virus Control blocks a process, you can choose to unblock it then it will be added to your exclusions.

5. Can not configure Auto Updates or run a manual update, BitDefender will check every 3 hours for updates and apply them.

6. MyBitDefender Dashboard loads in your default browser on the free version, loads in the GUI on the paid version.

7. AntiPhishing and Online Malware Blocking has no configuration, if a site is blocked because of a false positive, you will have to disable Virus Shield to load it.

8. Safebox is not included in the free version but you can get 2GB of free storage by signing up.

9. Free version includes Social Network Protection and USB Immunizer.

10. Free version lacks Safepay with virtual keyboard and compact GUI.

Enjoy!!:D

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
Now I know why the scan is slow. Here's the quote from a Bitdefender representative.

Iulika0069 said:
It's slow because is performing a memory scan before the scan-itself
Will try to change this behaviour to be less intrusive..

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
Littlebits said:
woomera said:

I have not used the paid 2013 version but from looking at some screenshots, they look like completely different products altogether.

AV_Main_UI.png

More screenshots are on their homepage- http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/antivirus.html

image003tp.png

Free version lacks many settings, most are automatically configured with no way to change them.

Here are a few differences that I noticed:

1. To run a on-demand scan of your system you must open Windows Explorer and right click on your hard drive(s) and select "Scan with BitDefender".

2. Can not configure Auto Scan, it runs in idle only.

3. Can not configure Product Behavior, it is set to Autopilot.

4. Can not manually add exclusions, after Active Virus Control blocks a process, you can choose to unblock it then it will be added to your exclusions.

5. Can not configure Auto Updates or run a manual update, BitDefender will check every 3 hours for updates and apply them.

6. MyBitDefender Dashboard loads in your default browser on the free version, loads in the GUI on the paid version.

7. AntiPhishing and Online Malware Blocking has no configuration, if a site is blocked because of a false positive, you will have to disable Virus Shield to load it.

8. Safebox is not included in the free version but you can get 2GB of free storage by signing up.

9. Free version includes Social Network Protection and USB Immunizer.

10. Free version lacks Safepay with virtual keyboard and compact GUI.

Enjoy!!:D

The auto-update interval is 1 hour.

edwardmax2010 said:
@Iulika0069, May I ask if Bitdefender AV free auto-updates itself to the newest version or we need to download the new version on the bitdefender website?

Iulika0069 said:
BD AV Free auto-updates itself hourly; of course, the product update is not that often, but the check is made hourly too.

There no Social Network Protection and USB Immunizer on my Bitdefender AV free.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Both mentioned are free services & products, and can be found below:
FB/Tw Safego : Direct Link
USB Immuniser : Direct Link

Syntax said:
There no Social Network Protection and USB Immunizer on my Bitdefender AV free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.