tipo said:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p_uJtayFr0Unknown said:
i read through this thread i saw people are asking the same questions which IMO means that no one is reading through a thread..
for people who cannot download the free version (because bitdefender is redirecting automatically to their home site - not the.com one)use a proxy to access the .com site..
another thing: on demand scanner is not on demand protection!
the link provided by umbra leads to a good av software, with realtime protection, with active virus control tech, B-have tech, heuristic etc.
Syntax said:Littlebits said:woomera said:does anyone knows the exact difference between free ver and bitdefender av?
I have not used the paid 2013 version but from looking at some screenshots, they look like completely different products altogether.
More screenshots are on their homepage- http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/antivirus.html
Free version lacks many settings, most are automatically configured with no way to change them.
Here are a few differences that I noticed:
1. To run a on-demand scan of your system you must open Windows Explorer and right click on your hard drive(s) and select "Scan with BitDefender".
2. Can not configure Auto Scan, it runs in idle only.
3. Can not configure Product Behavior, it is set to Autopilot.
4. Can not manually add exclusions, after Active Virus Control blocks a process, you can choose to unblock it then it will be added to your exclusions.
5. Can not configure Auto Updates or run a manual update, BitDefender will check every 3 hours for updates and apply them.
6. MyBitDefender Dashboard loads in your default browser on the free version, loads in the GUI on the paid version.
7. AntiPhishing and Online Malware Blocking has no configuration, if a site is blocked because of a false positive, you will have to disable Virus Shield to load it.
8. Safebox is not included in the free version but you can get 2GB of free storage by signing up.
9. Free version includes Social Network Protection and USB Immunizer.
10. Free version lacks Safepay with virtual keyboard and compact GUI.
The auto-update interval is 1 hour.
edwardmax2010 said:@Iulika0069, May I ask if Bitdefender AV free auto-updates itself to the newest version or we need to download the new version on the bitdefender website?
Iulika0069 said:BD AV Free auto-updates itself hourly; of course, the product update is not that often, but the check is made hourly too.
There no Social Network Protection and USB Immunizer on my Bitdefender AV free.
Littlebits said:Another difference, Auto Scan does not allow exclusions at all in the free version. After BitDefender free completed an idle scan of all of my hard drives, it automatically permanently deleted detected files instead of quarantining them. All of my NirSoft Utilities with their settings are gone.
Until BitDefender can do something about this problem, I recommend to turn off Auto scan.
truoc said:How does it compare to avast! free in terms of system performance and detection rates?
Biozfear said:I doubt very much they will fix that bug anytime soon Littlebits. Took them quite a while to launch EN version.
Perhaps end of next year if we are lucky.
Reason being: BD to fix bugs and optimize stuff even for their commercial products takes quite some time and moment they do something, something else gets broken (which reminds me of 2 other vendors).
Yes I am a small business that has poor ability to function because of false positives. I believe that what virus companies are doing is really illegal. They have permission to put a sign in front of your business that says do not go in this store as it is infected without any knowledge of the store content. If your file is a .exe it is immediately blocked. They make it difficult and often impossible for you to report your case to them. There should be a law that they all must provide any small business a way to get their compiled .exe software easily approved.