NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
tipo said:
Unknown said:
Umbra Corp. said:
done already, read the earlier posts , i gave a link

sir i had already watched the test but it is different language i am not able to nderstand it clearly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p_uJtayFr0

i read through this thread i saw people are asking the same questions which IMO means that no one is reading through a thread..
for people who cannot download the free version (because bitdefender is redirecting automatically to their home site - not the.com one)use a proxy to access the .com site..
http://www.azproxies.com/proxy-lists/index.html
another thing: on demand scanner is not on demand protection!
the link provided by umbra leads to a good av software, with realtime protection, with active virus control tech, B-have tech, heuristic etc.

Mate, no offence, but when a vendor makes it so hard to obtain something, i.e. I'd have to go through proxy service to be able to get some sort of free AV, you intuitively know their heart's no so much into it. I've been defending Bitdefender a lot [tautology sounds funny, eh?] around here, however this is just wrong.

If something as momentous as releasing a free edition AV, after the last one was only localised in its native language, I would be making sure I have all communication channels proper, before launch date.

Just to be clear, I'm respecting BD for what stand for, and what they've achieved, it's just that sometimes they unintentionally drive you up the wall. And word-of-mouth-online in this day an age is powerful ...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Syntax said:
Littlebits said:
woomera said:
does anyone knows the exact difference between free ver and bitdefender av?

I have not used the paid 2013 version but from looking at some screenshots, they look like completely different products altogether.

AV_Main_UI.png

More screenshots are on their homepage- http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/antivirus.html

image003tp.png

Free version lacks many settings, most are automatically configured with no way to change them.

Here are a few differences that I noticed:

1. To run a on-demand scan of your system you must open Windows Explorer and right click on your hard drive(s) and select "Scan with BitDefender".

2. Can not configure Auto Scan, it runs in idle only.

3. Can not configure Product Behavior, it is set to Autopilot.

4. Can not manually add exclusions, after Active Virus Control blocks a process, you can choose to unblock it then it will be added to your exclusions.

5. Can not configure Auto Updates or run a manual update, BitDefender will check every 3 hours for updates and apply them.

6. MyBitDefender Dashboard loads in your default browser on the free version, loads in the GUI on the paid version.

7. AntiPhishing and Online Malware Blocking has no configuration, if a site is blocked because of a false positive, you will have to disable Virus Shield to load it.

8. Safebox is not included in the free version but you can get 2GB of free storage by signing up.

9. Free version includes Social Network Protection and USB Immunizer.

10. Free version lacks Safepay with virtual keyboard and compact GUI.

Enjoy!!:D

The auto-update interval is 1 hour.

edwardmax2010 said:
@Iulika0069, May I ask if Bitdefender AV free auto-updates itself to the newest version or we need to download the new version on the bitdefender website?

Iulika0069 said:
BD AV Free auto-updates itself hourly; of course, the product update is not that often, but the check is made hourly too.

There no Social Network Protection and USB Immunizer on my Bitdefender AV free.

My ZoneAlarm Firewall reports in its logs that BitDefender only auto-updates every 3 hours.

The Social Network Protection is located on your Dashboard within your browser, you have to active it. USB Immunizer is not listed on the program but it automatically immunizes all USB devices by default, you can not configure it. Just try connecting USB device with autorun.ini and BitDefender should pop up with a notification.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Another difference, Auto Scan does not allow exclusions at all in the free version. After BitDefender free completed an idle scan of all of my hard drives, it automatically permanently deleted detected files instead of quarantining them. All of my NirSoft Utilities with their settings are gone.
Until BitDefender can do something about this problem, I recommend to turn off Auto scan.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
blu66blu66 said:
Yeah... very good product and free
Bitdefender tehnology is the best on the market

I wouldn't say the best on the market, but it's surely up there with some of it's competitors.

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
Littlebits said:
Another difference, Auto Scan does not allow exclusions at all in the free version. After BitDefender free completed an idle scan of all of my hard drives, it automatically permanently deleted detected files instead of quarantining them. All of my NirSoft Utilities with their settings are gone.
Until BitDefender can do something about this problem, I recommend to turn off Auto scan.

Thanks for that! Still thinking here...hmmmmmmm...maybe...hmmmmm...:)

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012
Maybe you can wait till the next version. They are incorporating some technologies for you guys to make it less of a annoyance.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
truoc said:
How does it compare to avast! free in terms of system performance and detection rates?

Performance was about the same, BitDefender free maybe a little bit lighter than Avast. Detection rates are questionable since Avast didn't detect any false positives on my system and BitDefender free automatically permanently deleted false positives instead of quarantine them. BitDefender has a much higher false positive rate than Avast, the files were even digitally signed by trusted vendors and should have not been detected.

Avast is more trustworthy since it will move detected files to the virus chest and allow you to add exclusions in case of false positives. With BitDefender free, your detected false positives are permanently deleted with no options to restore them.

Until BitDefender free gets this false positive deletion bug fixed and allow you to add exclusions, I would not recommend using it.

Thanks.:D

P

Plexx

Thread author
I doubt very much they will fix that bug anytime soon Littlebits. Took them quite a while to launch EN version.

Perhaps end of next year if we are lucky.

Reason being: BD to fix bugs and optimize stuff even for their commercial products takes quite some time and moment they do something, something else gets broken (which reminds me of 2 other vendors).

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Biozfear said:
I doubt very much they will fix that bug anytime soon Littlebits. Took them quite a while to launch EN version.

Perhaps end of next year if we are lucky.

Reason being: BD to fix bugs and optimize stuff even for their commercial products takes quite some time and moment they do something, something else gets broken (which reminds me of 2 other vendors).

You are probably right, I have also read reports that their paid products also have this false positive deletion bug. This is enough to make me want to stay clear of their products.

Thanks.:D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Antivirus companies cause a big headache to small developers.
This article was posted in 2009 by NirSoft developer, since then the problem has got worse. In spite of all of the false positives reports to AV vendors, most of NirSoft Utilities are still detected as malicious by many AV vendors.

http://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/05/17/antivirus-companies-cause-a-big-headache-to-small-developers/

Last commit on the blog, I couldn't agree more with it.

Yes I am a small business that has poor ability to function because of false positives. I believe that what virus companies are doing is really illegal. They have permission to put a sign in front of your business that says do not go in this store as it is infected without any knowledge of the store content. If your file is a .exe it is immediately blocked. They make it difficult and often impossible for you to report your case to them. There should be a law that they all must provide any small business a way to get their compiled .exe software easily approved.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition 2013 Version: 1.0.13.862 released:

Nothing listed on their forums or website about this update but it just appeared on Softpedia with no changelogs.

I wonder if they actually fixed the false positive deletion bug?

amvlad

Level 1
Aug 3, 2011
Hi there,

In our attempt to design Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition as a minimalistic, set-and-forget solution, we went all the way, and automized the product 100%. But following your feedback, we are now introducing some basic functionalities so you can also tweak security to your needs:

• - The new Threat Control now allows you to add exceptions to items which Bitdefender considers suspect, but which you would still like to use. Simply right-click the file in listed in the Threat Control tab and the option will appear in a menu.

gonzalesquaren.png

• - If you want to access a webpage that Bitdefender considers dangerous, you can now continue at your own risk to that page. The option will also be remembered by the product for the current session, to ease your access.
  • - Other important updates include additional security levels added, compatibility with Comodo Firewall, and more frequent updates.

For more details, check this blog post: http://www.hotforsecurity.com/blog/bitdefender-antivirus-free-adds-quarantine-ability-6213.html

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
I know Bdav free is mainly cloud based but does anyone know how often it updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.