mlnevese

Level 21
Verified
Something not being detect by a particular product in Virus Total does not mean that product does not detect it on the consumer/business version. Virus Total uses the Linux version of the scanner, does not have all the modules of the desktop version and does not necessarily have the latest signatures loaded.

We have seem examples of this many times in this forum. Virus Total is good to check if a file is suspicious but not to check if a particular engine would detect it in a real infection situation.

venustus

Level 50
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Something not being detect by a particular product in Virus Total does not mean that product does not detect it on the consumer/business version. Virus Total uses the Linux version of the scanner, does not have all the modules of the desktop version and does not necessarily have the latest signatures loaded.

We have seem examples of this many times in this forum. Virus Total is good to check if a file is suspicious but not to check if a particular engine would detect it in a real infection situation.
True...I have seen that many times !

Andrew3000

Level 7
Verified
Malware Tester

I know, i only put the link to the sample, for the test I used BD ;)

SeriousHoax

Level 29
Verified
Malware Tester
In my experience, the best way to submit malwares to Bitdefender is to send to Emsisoft via email. I submitted a particular malware to BD multiple times in the past but they never added that to their signatures. It was an old sample. Then I submitted to Emsisoft via email and they replied they'll forward that to Bitdefender team. Then within 18 hours Bitdefender added the signature of that malware to their database.
As my sample was forwarded to them via Emsisoft, they gave that sample a higher priority hence created the signature as fast as they could.