Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Ok Catched after 23 minutes not so good. :/

I dont have the sample so all I can do is speculate but this "long" time to detect isnt a problem with BD's behavior blocker, maybe the sample was dormant (delayed execution) and only reached malicious threshold after 23 minutes (tried to download/run something, called home and so on).

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
How is BD’s PUP detection these days? With ESET malwarebytes and the rest basically sit and spit out zeros.
As others have said, it's terrible. Dr.Web has by far the best PUP detection. It detects well over 4,000 PUPs, as you can see in the screenshot.
DrWeb Unwanted 3.png

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Something not being detect by a particular product in Virus Total does not mean that product does not detect it on the consumer/business version. Virus Total uses the Linux version of the scanner, does not have all the modules of the desktop version and does not necessarily have the latest signatures loaded.

We have seem examples of this many times in this forum. Virus Total is good to check if a file is suspicious but not to check if a particular engine would detect it in a real infection situation.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Something not being detect by a particular product in Virus Total does not mean that product does not detect it on the consumer/business version. Virus Total uses the Linux version of the scanner, does not have all the modules of the desktop version and does not necessarily have the latest signatures loaded.

We have seem examples of this many times in this forum. Virus Total is good to check if a file is suspicious but not to check if a particular engine would detect it in a real infection situation.
True...I have seen that many times !

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016

I know, i only put the link to the sample, for the test I used BD ;)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
In my experience, the best way to submit malwares to Bitdefender is to send to Emsisoft via email. I submitted a particular malware to BD multiple times in the past but they never added that to their signatures. It was an old sample. Then I submitted to Emsisoft via email and they replied they'll forward that to Bitdefender team. Then within 18 hours Bitdefender added the signature of that malware to their database.
As my sample was forwarded to them via Emsisoft, they gave that sample a higher priority hence created the signature as fast as they could.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.