Bitdefender 2020 Released

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Eset and Emsisoft are the best in terms of PUPs detection and the same goes for MB. Kaspersky and Bitdefender while they offer decent protection they suffer in the field of PUPs. Even with TAM enabled in Kaspersky some PUPs will slip and get installed as some PUPs are digitally signed.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Eset and Emsisoft are the best in terms of PUPs detection and the same goes for MB. Kaspersky and Bitdefender while they offer decent protection they suffer in the field of PUPs. Even with TAM enabled in Kaspersky some PUPs will slip and get installed as some PUPs are digitally signed.
I think their philosophy was, that by detecting a "pup" or "pua" they could risk a lawsuit from the developer. :ROFLMAO:
I read that in a blog but can't remember the source...

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I think their philosophy was, that by detecting a "pup" or "pua" they could risk a lawsuit from the developer. :ROFLMAO:
I read that in a blog but can't remember the source...
It would be great to read that blog. Anyway, PUPs are annoying and they impact performance miserably, so, in my opinion, they should always be treated as malware.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Almost two weeks using BitDefender Total Security 2020. Two days ago I clean installed Windows just because I found a really nice Gaming-Optimized Windows 10 1903 version. The very first thing I installed was BitDefender. Since the very first day of installation of this version I have been amazed. And I'm an ex ESET user, and ex Kaspersky. I really cannot feel this version of the antivirus, it's just like if it was not there. Unlike other AV, you click the icon and it immediately pops up, no waiting times or lags, plus the interface is clean and easy to use. I'd like to detail the pro's and con's I found for myself:

PRO'S:
  • Automatic update is smooth now (used to have issues)
  • Best signatures in the market
  • Amazing resource use (cannot be felt, personally lighter than ESET if configured to scan only on access)
  • Quick and smart disinfection (it didn't lag my PC for it)
  • Fast quick scan
  • Can schedule AppData scans
The following are personal facts I find like PRO's:
  • Safe files vault
  • Secure Eraser
  • Rescue Enviroment
  • Wi-Fi Security and Vulnerability Scan
  • Ransomware Remediation
  • Webcam and Mic protection (can either block or warn it's being used)
  • Anti-Tracker (like Kaspersky)
  • Notification Center (divided in ALL, CRITICAL, WARNING, INFORMATION)
  • Option for a security widget
CON'S:
  • System scan takes kind-of long (gets better with each scan)
  • Encrypted Web Scan still blocks safe sites (can manually allow)
  • Useless Utilities (I personally find them useless, like One-Click Optimizer, Disk Cleanup, although Startup Optimizer seems good)
  • Lack of tweaking options (it's really solid but I wish I had more tweaking options, it's just ON or OFF)
What I would really like: they used Kaspersky-like style when tweaking. I wish BitDefender had the option to change the security level within each module, just like KIS allows you to do, for example choosing WEB SECURITY low, medium, or high, please infinite tweaking options to make your own security version out of the product.

Overall, I'm amazed with it. BitDefender has overcame theirselves this year and are offering the very first version of 2020 with a whole new horizon. I'm pretty sure that a couple of more patches will make them back to the top. For those having trouble, I strongly suggest installing BitDefender on a clean install and you will see the difference.
Has the free version also been updated to 2020 ?

elquenunca

Level 3
Verified
Dec 23, 2017
Can you export settings? Alternatively, can you uninstall and tell it to save settings?
technical support response to the same question from a user
Bitdefender technical support:

Regarding your second question. If you reinstall Bitdefender from the Control Panel, the following settings will be saved: Firewall settings and rules, Exceptions in Antivirus, Advance Threat Defense, Secure files.

If you decide to reinstall with the Bitdefender uninstall tool, the Bitdefender configuration will not be saved.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Personally I wont bother too much with Bitdefender settings, it is configured for optimal protection, just disable the modules that you dont need.

For me BD simplicity and automated style of protection is a huge bonus, there is no configuration and tweak anxienty there.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Personally I wont bother too much with Bitdefender settings, it is configured for optimal protection, just disable the modules that you dont need.

For me BD simplicity and automated style of protection is a huge bonus, there is no configuration and tweak anxienty there.
Agreed. But you still have to make your exclusions.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I wish Bitdefender offers on-demand cloud check like Norton's File Insight, Kaspersky KSN, and Eset LiveGrid
I came here to write this exact thing. On-demand cloud checking of these three is a nice, useful feature. Norton's File Insight even shows the details of Quarantined malware. I really love it and wish Bitdefender had something similar too. Maybe someone should ask for this as a feature request on their forum or something?

marcopaone

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 15, 2016
I came here to write this exact thing. On-demand cloud checking of these three is a nice, useful feature. Norton's File Insight even shows the details of Quarantined malware. I really love it and wish Bitdefender had something similar too. Maybe someone should ask for this as a feature request on their forum or something?
Yes you can ask it in BD forum

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019

It would be nice if make a feature suggestion at their forums. I will be glad to vote for it.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.