Bitdefender 2020 Released

rych999

Jul 22, 2019
I'm really sad, another Bitdefender's try and another fail. This is what I see when just try activate :cry:
btdfndr.JPG

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I usually say that the only way to know how a software behaves is actually installing and testing it. What is fast in my machine may slow yours or even cause it to crash, it will depend on what kind of hardware and software you're running sometimes even with the same hardware certain driver versions may be enough to cause a crash.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Okay after several days of testing BIS and comparing it to my experience with ESET IS I'd say it's a toss up for me. I already have my HIPS rules set for ESET so most of it is set and forget for either. I'm leaning toward putting BIS on my wife's laptop and maybe replacing ESET on my main/gaming machine. Fast, efficient, simple.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
One more thing. With the automatic profiles it does seem to be doing something. I disabled it from changing my power plan settings (which wouldn’t make a difference in my desktop) because I don’t want it messing with that. But, the gaming profile does seem to bump performance about 1-1.5% consistently (at least in one benchmark). I’ve compared benchmarks Multiple time to rule it out as being a margin of error. I am just curious what it is doing that is giving the bump. Very interesting. Not that 1% truly matters.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
From what a learn, better use Emsisoft then Bitdefender, you have BD engine with good support, privacy, no bloatware and no HDD smash.

I will add Bitdefender to sh...t category of AV.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by hdd smash. I know bitdefender has a bad reputation, but this current iteration is greatly improved in the performance department. I do agree it could do without the vpn and such. But, I can get licenses for much less than emsisoft.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
i use bitdefender for a while now. i can say that it is very light on my system. never had any issue with it. for me bitdefender 2020 is the best. after using it, i really liked it alot.
Bitdefender is like CR7, it's a fiery beast but has some flaws while Messi is like Kaspersky, even though some people don't prefer him, deep inside everybody knows he's the best.
Sorry for the pun 😂 Couldn't resist because of your DP :p

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Bitdefender is like CR7, it's a fiery beast but has some flaws while Messi is like Kaspersky, even though some people don't prefer him, deep inside everybody knows he's the best.
Sorry for the pun 😂 Couldn't resist because of your DP :p
for me i like the one who doesn`t have an impressive talent but work very hard to get that level. so i am a big fan of CR7 and Bitdefender 😂😂😂

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The big test is going to be how it uninstalls. I can live with leftover folders and such when it's been installed for a while, but if it leaves behind drivers or registry entries that bork things then I'm out.
Just download and run the appropriate uninstall tool, after uninstalling, so that any remaining leftovers are removed.

You should use the vendor's uninstall tool after uninstalling any antivirus, unless they don't provide one.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Just download and run the appropriate uninstall tool, after uninstalling, so that any remaining leftovers are removed.

You should use the vendor's uninstall tool after uninstalling any antivirus, unless they don't provide one.
The other AV I’ve uninstalled lately was ESET, which uninstalls pretty cleanly and has a great uninstall tool for leftovers. It’s the only AV I’ve uninstalled and not felt it necessary to do a fresh Win 10 install after. 👍🏼 I will definitely follow these steps for BD as well to finish my trial. So far it feels like a keeper, surprisingly.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Tried an uninstall this morning to see how cleanly it uninstalled. I ran the uninstalled tool after to make sure it had a chance to catch whatever it found. I couldn’t find any leftover folders sitting in program files or appdata afterwards. Then I ran wisedisk cleaner to see what it would find (I never actually use cleaners, but it’s a good way to get quick info). It didn’t find anything. Seems the uninstall process works pretty well, at least when it’s been on the system a short while. This may be a keeper.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Bitdefender did well enough in comparison to ESET I’m going to ride out the full trial and see how I feel. Definitely think it will improve Ladyice’s laptop security and performance. Plus having some web based management makes my life easier. Despite the ram usage difference I can’t really tell a difference in performance.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.