Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
bitdefender_online_1.png
bitdefender_online_2.png
bitdefender_online_3.png

System Requirements

- Operating system: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10
- Hard disk space: 2 GB available free hard disk space (at least 800 MB on the system drive)
- Intel CORE Duo (2 GHz) or equivalent processor
- Software requirements: Internet Explorer 10 or higher

Homepage: Free Antivirus Software - Download Bitdefender Antivirus Free
Download: http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/bp/agent/en-us/bitdefender_online.exe
User guide: http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/bp/Bitdefender_AntivirusFree_2016_en.pdf

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
why not win 10 don't understand Bitdefender:confused:
Bitdefender Free Antivirus has never officially supported Windows 10, but it does work prior to this beta version. Any takers to test new version's compatibility on Windows 10? :p

I wonder what's new beside the fancy UI.

From the PDF file, not much.

Bitdefender Antivirus Free is an antimalware program designed to offer advanced real-time protection to Windows operating systems against the latest threats. It is delivered free of charge and requires activation with a Bitdefender account.

Due to the in-the-cloud scanning technology embedded in the product, the impact on the system is reduced to zero while you can enjoy different activities on your system.

The protection settings are configured and enabled by default after the installation, with no need of intervention from your side. Bitdefender Antivirus Free takes security-related decisions in the background, notifying you on important events.

The following features are packed in the program:
  • Active Threat Control for checking and detecting programs with suspicious
  • activities.
  • On-access scanning for real-time scanning of all accessed files.
  • On-demand scanning for scanning files or folders at your request.
  • Web Protection for detecting and blocking malicious web pages.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Bitdefender Free Antivirus has never officially supported Windows 10, but it does work prior to this beta version. Any takers to test new version's compatibility on Windows 10? :p

[/SPOILER]
I am running windows 10 x64, presently with windows defender. I would be interested in giving it a whirl.
Any particular guidelines for testing compatibility?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I like the new UI (apart from contradictory color scheme)
I think that's all this Beta update was for, refresh the GUI - requested by the community?
Any particular guidelines for testing compatibility?
Not really, except do all features fully function as the supported OSes and does it install correctly.

H

hjlbx

Official W10 support will not be coming any time soon. Look for it sometime within the next 2 years or more.

W10 support announced. See @Petrovic's post below.

GUI is much better and more convenient for user.

Resource usage is going to be the same as prior versions: high RAM usage immediately after reboot (200 MB) and then calms down to about 70 MB or so.

Bunch of Bitdefender services created per usual.

It is an improvement on BDAV Free -- but nothing extraordinary. I guess compared to the old BDAV Free it is a welcome improvement.

BDAV Free functions the same as default AV module of BD IS in Auto-Pilot - so you have to understand how Auto-Pilot works and what it will do in case of infection.

Quite frankly, BDAV Free is one of the better replacements for Windows Defender.

The problem is learning how Auto-Pilot works - and to do that - you have practice with actual malware. BDAV will do things that are unexpected; they are not bugs but intended behavior -- like removing home page URL in IE when dealing with certain infection types.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

NullByte

After installing it I've notice an epic 4 minutes boot-time. Each time I stat I get this Capture.PNG

I can't see any scan button it looks like everything is done automatically, memory usage it's about 100MB. When I right clicks scan it takes ages.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Bitdefender is a very good program.I used it 3 months ago and i was happy with it's performance.
Very good detection and web filter.
RAM usage on my system was low about 30-40 MB.
2 things i didn't like in BD Free.
1st: on access scanning sometimes makes my browsing slow and system feels a little heavy.
2nd: BD Free when is moving a file to quarantine it renames it and it's changing the name of the extension for example from .exe to dat.
So when you try to restore the file you can't because BD Free has change it.
If the file is malicious no problem but when is a false positive it's a problem.
Anyway i believe BD Free is a good program and i will try the new version.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
tech support on BD forum says like this:

The BETA stage is not full blown open beta, some kinks need to be ironed out before we go full open.

As such please ignore the Windows support page as it needs to be adapted to the latest beta release that supports Windows 10.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.