Bitdefender Antivirus Free Final released for Windows

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
A setting that i would like to have in BD Free is Idle Scan.
I don't want BD to scan my system when i leave it idle for a few minutes.
When i hear the CPU working for no reason i just don't like it.
I would like to have the option to disable it.
Also i liked that the older version had just 2 processes.
Another thing i want to mention is that after a while BD drops it's RAM usage from 100 mb to 50 mb, that is good

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The announcement was there till few hours ago. The BD admin could have moved the announcement o_O
Solved.

Windscribe VPN is blocked from accessing Bitdefender Forums. Disabled and can view site. I'm actually questioning the purpose of a VPN for desktop, I may stick VPN on Android only. :)

Reactions: AtlBo and Kuttz

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
I have never seen notifications or a pop-up window when it blocks a virus in beta stage, maybe now in the final version ?!
There are notifications but they show up with the huge delay.
I received a response from BD:

Bitdefender Antivirus Free shows a notification in the lower right hand of the screen when a malware is blocked (see the attached image). If you don't receive such notifications, you may want to check your system settings. On Windows 10, we use the Windows action center notification system. Make sure you have app notifications enabled in Start > Settings (cogwheel) > System > Notifications and actions. Make sure notifications are enabled globally, and for Bitdefender in particular. After making these changes, Bitdefender will pop-up on your screen each time it blocks something.

And yes my Notifications and actions were switched off, thats why i didn't have notifications :)

giulia

Level 5
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
great news
i used it on a laptop ,the prev version
and i liked it a lot , fast and light
i will try on the same laptop the new version
thanks

Reactions: AtlBo

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I received a response from BD:

Bitdefender Antivirus Free shows a notification in the lower right hand of the screen when a malware is blocked (see the attached image). If you don't receive such notifications, you may want to check your system settings. On Windows 10, we use the Windows action center notification system. Make sure you have app notifications enabled in Start > Settings (cogwheel) > System > Notifications and actions. Make sure notifications are enabled globally, and for Bitdefender in particular. After making these changes, Bitdefender will pop-up on your screen each time it blocks something.

And yes my Notifications and actions were switched off, thats why i didn't have notifications :)

Thinking about it now, this is probably why I didn't receive any notifications.

Has the popup for detections changed at all or are they still the same from previous versions?

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Hi,

I didn't use previous version for a long time, but this is how it looks like now

BD_free_2017_notification.jpg

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Solved.

Windscribe VPN is blocked from accessing Bitdefender Forums. Disabled and can view site. I'm actually questioning the purpose of a VPN for desktop, I may stick VPN on Android only. :)
No problem for me accessing BD forums using Windscribe VPN....I mean just opening the forum pages

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
alright, I uninstalled avast last night and installed BD free to give it another shot (what a pain the installation was. alot of errors)
and so far I like it alot better then the first run. it is VERY light on the system despite having quite a few processes.
The only problem I have so far is that bootup (time from login to computer usable) is quite slow. Voodooshield lags behind a bit in loading. thats really the only issue i have.

R

Ray Redbad

Active Threat Control (formerly Active Virus Control) explained:

http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/files/Main/file/active_virus_control_wp.pdf

This tech is, and always was, available as well in Bit Defender Free using the same processes, libraries and drivers as the Premium products.

BD Free is the ONLY free "Bitdefender engine" program using ATC, all others having just various implementations of the BD Core and B-HAVE SDKs.

Free also utilizes all the Nimbus cloud services.

That said, there is additional protection in the Premium products, especially Internet and Total Security.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Active Threat Control (formerly Active Virus Control) explained:

http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/files/Main/file/active_virus_control_wp.pdf

This tech is, and always was, available as well in Bit Defender Free using the same processes, libraries and drivers as the Premium products.

BD Free is the ONLY free "Bitdefender engine" program using ATC, all others having just various implementations of the BD Core and B-HAVE SDKs.

Free also utilizes all the Nimbus cloud services.

That said, there is additional protection in the Premium products, especially Internet and Total Security.

To put it simply, That's a very good read right there. Very interesting and technologically insightful.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

giulia

Level 5
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
may i know if there is an explusion folder or file option?
and about the update ,can i schedule every x hours?
thanks

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
You can also read a more recent document from 2015 for Active Threat Control:
http://download.bitdefender.com/res...s-2015-SolutionPaper-ATC-812397-en-EN-web.pdf

If ATC in Free version is really the same version as in paid version, it's certainly very effective. I've tested ATC by itself and it blocked pretty much everything I've thrown at it. Adding traditionally excellent Bitdefender signatures and you have a very good free package.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I think I'll actually settle with Bitdefender Free until avast! 2017 is released. I have to say it's kinda cool. It's very basic, but still super comfy to use, is fast and if it's anything like their paid version, also very powerful.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.