Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
One of the lightest AV's around, works on Windows 10 now.

Issues I have with the free BD: the GZSERV.exe is still not ASLR enabled and it is not easy to find the quarantined files (click log). Best remedy against false positives is to wait until it is fixed and cross fingers it is not a crucial file. Because of a fan-boy in my family and the fact that free version is now also available in Netherlands (free was not Available for France and Netherlands in the past) I have come across two FP''s.

To the benefit of BD those FP's were solved when I had the time to go the family members having a FP. My nephew had converted all family members from Avast free and Panda free (he graduated in IT this summer). I used the occasion to confess "I am getting old" and told my family members they should call my nephew next time "because those youngsters are more up to date with latest technology". :) thank you BD-free (y)

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Did you take a look at their forum ? there are many problems right now with BD free, like audio streaming and some websites not loading (false positives)
they have to switch off protection shield to load websites.... not recommended right now.

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition

Reactions: Kuttz

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Did you take a look at their forum ? there are many problems right now with BD free, like audio streaming and some websites not loading (false positives)
they have to switch off protection shield to load websites.... not recommended right now.

Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition

I agree that FP's can be a problem with BD free, but it is not my concern anymore. Now my nephew is the one who get's called. ;)

In the early days of PC's I imported parts of PC's (the small and expensive bits like processor and memory and VGA and sound cards) from the US (because I occasionally had to work in the US). First i did it for myself and asked a friend of mine (who is a computer technician) to put it together. Because it is so simple to assemble a PC, I did it myself and offered relatives to assemble a less expensive PC for them also. At that time PC's were really expensive and a assembled PC with cheaper parts from the US, saved them over a 1000-1500 guilders (compared to buying one in a shop). The down side was that I was called for software problems after wards.

In 2017 interface I can't find option to exclude anymore (like in 2016 version), so you just have to wait until BD fixes FP and hope your system does not get screwed

upload_2017-12-25_9-37-10.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Pat MacKnife

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I'm not a great fan of Bitdefender, but I must admit I do really like BD free.It's a nice, simple, clean looking and effective free AV. I would still team it up with something else, but I do like how simple and straightforward this nice little AV is.

Reactions: Barakah

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Sorry I have already uninstalled it, I just looked whether ASLR issue was solved, because I noticed the update posted by Mops21

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.