Battle Bitdefender Free or Avast Free

Which one will you pick for overall usage?

• Total voters
Compare list
Avast Free
Bitdefender Free
Platform(s)
  1. Any platform

Lymphocyte

Level 2
Verified
Jul 22, 2014
I wouldn't use any of them.
Bitdefender Free is highly restricted as you can see here.
Captura de pantalla 2023-09-04 225959.png

Meanwhile Avast Free is really invasive with notifications in which they ask you to buy the premium version, although if you are fine with it, it may be a better option than Bitdefender Free.

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Avast free includes a firewall, which can and may be more useful than Windows firewall which you would have to use with BD.
Also, I think Avast would be more even and consistent as far as memory use than BD.

As you may know, there was also a thread regarding a comparison between the two.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Both are excellent, and I'm not saying otherwise, but Avast's lab response is faster than Bitdefender's, even though AVC is very efficient.
But in your opinion, which one would you install? I ask you how you are always testing with real malware, you already have an idea of how each product reacts to certain threats, Regards. By the way, I'm waiting for some new test from you :3

Reactions: cryogent
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

About Avast upgrade nags

1. Optout of messages and personalization advises
2. When you get an upgrade message, answer GOT IT and choose DON'T SHOW THIS MESSAGE AGAIN (best) or IGNORE (fall back option)
3. Keep M$ security center and hide Avast icon, this will silence status messages using windows messages

After 2 weeks AVAST only nags you after engine upgrades (not updates, but major releases)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Bitdefender Free or Avast Free when it comes to overall usage?
Neither. IIRC both require a registered account?
mmmmm , What if it was Avast Premium vs Bitdefender Total Protection? Which one would you choose ? Greetings.
Neither. Paid versions are scams. They offer identical levels of protection against malware as their free version, which most average consumers rely on anyway. Expert users may know how to use utilize other features, but still rely on the AV for prevention/detection/removal.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014

Neither. Paid versions are scams. They offer identical levels of protection against malware as their free version, which most average consumers rely on anyway. Expert users may know how to use utilize other features, but still rely on the AV for prevention/detection/removal.
I would say that paid versions of Bitdefender offer better protection than the free version, as the free version only receives very occasional product updates. But for Avast, the paid versions are the same as the free, just with extra features.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
AVG Free. Less ad popups and it too has a firewall.
And it even still supports XP. I uninstalled Avast free on one of my Windows 7 PC's, and will give it a try.
avg free.jpg

Nice links oldschool, thanks :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would say that paid versions of Bitdefender offer better protection than the free version, as the free version only receives very occasional product updates. But for Avast, the paid versions are the same as the free, just with extra features.
Product updates are generally for bug UI fixes and other vulnerabilities. But both receive the same definition files updates for offline scanning and cloud? Or do you mean to say Bitdefender uses different definitions databases for Free vs Paid version?

Lymphocyte

Level 2
Verified
Jul 22, 2014

Avast is pretty much the same in both free and paid edition but Bitdefender Free won't scan half of your computer as it's shown here.

Captura de pantalla 2023-09-04 225959.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.