Guide | How To Bitdefender, how install without removing incompatible softwares

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
as some of you might know im an unsatisfied bitdefender user and even the software have many failures and disfunctions still i cant ignore the fact that it has one of the best engines in the industry.
that being said the version 2013 beta came out few days ago and i thought give it test drive in Virtualbox now anyone here who have tried to install bitdefender products before you know how painful it is to install it when having even none security softwares installed as it requires uninstalling them before proceeding.

here's the workaround that i found to install bitdefender without uninstalling incompatible softwares and re-installing:

1.right click on your bitdefender installer > 7-zip > open archive (you need 7zip)
2.open folder "extern", heres the list of incompatible software az XML file
3.drag the file related to the incompatible software (lets say malwarebytes) to the desktop
4.right click and click edit
5.you'll see the list of registry keys that bitdefender will check to see if the software exists on the machine or not
6.MAKE SURE NO FILE RELATED TO INCOMPATIBLE SOFTWARE IS RUNNING IN MEMORY (task manager > end process's)
7.find the key in registry (folder) and rename it
8.start bitdefender installer, as soon as it asks if you want to check for updates during installation it means it has passed the compatibility check and therefore its safe to rename the folder back to its original
9.continue the installation and run back your software

voila, you just started installing bitdefender without uninstalling malwarebytes

Notes:
1.back the registry folder before you making any changes.
2.change the name back to its original asap to avoid errors and malfunctions to your softwares
3.installing more than 1 AV can cause serious problems / bsod / slowdowns so do this only if you are sure there wont be any issues afterward

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Good guide Woomera. For nwbies it would be easier to remvoe MBAM and reinstall later. I personally have stopped using and recommending bdis as it has become a bit unstable and resoruce hog.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
If I'm right you had to uninstalling Malwarebytes before you installed Bitdefender, am I right?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well for bitdefender the installation would not ran when detected an incompatibility software thus it will gave a button for uninstall or manual it for the said product.

woomera

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
McLovin said:
If I'm right you had to uninstalling Malwarebytes before you installed Bitdefender, am I right?
yes it does require MBAM to be uninstalled before allowing you to continue with installation and dozen of other softwares.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.