Advice Request Bitdefender & HPA or Sophos Intercept X

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Dell 5380

Thread author
Mar 11, 2019
Hello People

This is my first post I am looking for some advice & opinions from anyone who has any technical experience with what I am asking.

I am currently using Windows 7/10 OS on a dual boot PC with Bitdefender total security 2019 1 year License, also Hitman Pro alert HPA 3 year license which has 850 days license until expiry, Bitdefender has 4 days until expiry, I also use Nord VPN when connected to a network.

I use the PC’s mainly for internet browsing & obviously receiving & sending emails using a paid G mail domain for work related stuff where i mainly receive emails with attachments, pdf, url.

My question is i have received a quote from Paddock IT solutions based in the UK for Sophos Intercept X x3 licenses for £300,00 GBP for 1 year.

What would be the better setup to have I mean I really like the simplicity of Bitdefender total security 2019 UI & HMP UI & considering I have 850 days license of HPA until expiry it would surely be a waste as Sophos Intercept X cannot run together. Bitdefender total security 2019 renewal for 5 license & 2 year is £25,00.

Also really like the webcam & keystroke protection of HPA i believe Sophos Intercept X will not have this feature.

If anyone could please provide some input of what they think would be the most beneficial of the software applications to install I would really appreciate the time if anyone can respond to my question.

Thank you all

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
sophos was infected 3 out of 3 times in the hub.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mekelek
Level 28
Mar 23, 2018
Containment: VMWare Workstation 14 Pro (14.1.1)
Guest/OS: Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB 1607 (Build 14393.0)
AV: Sophos Endpoint Protection + Sophos Intercept X (Default settings)
VPN: Avira Phantom VPN Pro
Static (On-demand scan): 9 / 20
Dynamic (On execution): 6 / 11
Total: 15/20
SUD: No.
2nd opinion scanner: Infected(ZAM: 2, NPE: 1, Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK): 0, HMP: 0)
Final status: Infected (malware in memory, in autorun)
Files encrypted: No
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parsh
Level 24
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Verified
May 26, 2017
Containment: VMware Workstation 12.5.6 Build 5234757
Guest/OS: Windows 10 v1703
Product: Sophos Home Premium 1.2.0 Beta
Static: 5/15
Dynamic: 7/10 (3 wsf files were identical malware, 1 sample fails to run)
Total: 12/15
Files encrypted: Yes
All RW blocked, still some files encrypted, like in #25-05-2017. Refer the report details.
2nd Opinion Scanners: Infected
System Final Status: Infected
SUD: Yes (10)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parsh
Level 24
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Verified
May 19, 2017
Containment: VMware Workstation 12.5.5 build-5234757
Product: Sophos Home Premium 1.1.9 Beta
Static: 6/20
Dynamic: 3/14
Total: 9/20
Files encrypted: YES (Only a few files in the sample folder encrypted. All other folders safe)
2nd Opinion:
NPE 5 dropped files + 5 autostart items + 2 modified system settings,
HMP infected
Final System Status: INFECTED
SUD: Yes(14)

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

sophos was infected 3 out of 3 times in the hub.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mekelek
Level 28
Mar 23, 2018
Containment: VMWare Workstation 14 Pro (14.1.1)
Guest/OS: Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB 1607 (Build 14393.0)
AV: Sophos Endpoint Protection + Sophos Intercept X (Default settings)
VPN: Avira Phantom VPN Pro
Static (On-demand scan): 9 / 20
Dynamic (On execution): 6 / 11
Total: 15/20
SUD: No.
2nd opinion scanner: Infected(ZAM: 2, NPE: 1, Emsisoft Emergency Kit (Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK)): 0, HMP: 0)
Final status: Infected (malware in memory, in autorun)
Files encrypted: No
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parsh
Level 24
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Verified
May 26, 2017
Containment: VMware Workstation 12.5.6 Build 5234757
Product: Sophos Home Premium 1.2.0 Beta
Static: 5/15
Dynamic: 7/10 (3 wsf files were identical malware, 1 sample fails to run)
Total: 12/15
Files encrypted: Yes
All RW blocked, still some files encrypted, like in #25-05-2017. Refer the report details.
2nd Opinion Scanners: Infected
System Final Status: Infected
SUD: Yes (10)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parsh
Level 24
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Verified
May 19, 2017
Containment: VMware Workstation 12.5.5 build-5234757
Product: Sophos Home Premium 1.1.9 Beta
Static: 6/20
Dynamic: 3/14
Total: 9/20
Files encrypted: YES (Only a few files in the sample folder encrypted. All other folders safe)
2nd Opinion:
NPE 5 dropped files + 5 autostart items + 2 modified system settings,
HMP infected
Final System Status: INFECTED
SUD: Yes(14)

That was the previous version of SHP, which didn't fair too well, but the newer 2.0 has improved quite a bit. That being said, nothing is perfect and any product can miss things. From my understanding the Hub was never designed/ment to put products against each other, nor was it meant for people to base their decisions on. I beilieve it was meant to simply test and report findings/issues to the various vendors, but maybe someone who has been here for a while can elaborate on this. :)

That being said, intercept X is a very different product from SHP. While they share similar tech, intercept x is their enterprise offering and can be ran along an AV if I'm not mistaken, but I may be wrong. It has HMPA tech along with other in-house tech that they have come up with.

I think they are 2 different products, Bitdefender and Intercept x. I haven't used Bitdefender in a while, everytime I did I always has significant performance issues and random bug that I'm not sure if they fixed, but I would still try it out for yourself and see. Personally if your happy with Bitdefender and HMPA, I would just stick with that. Bitdefender alone is very good protection wise also. However, if you have access to intercept x,, it may worth giving it a try also. :)(y)

Reactions: harlan4096

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Personally I think, Bitdefender is a better choice than Sophos. If you want to move away from Bitdefender then it's probably better to check Kaspersky and Eset. Both have webcam protection module that you're looking for. Otherwise, stay with Bitdefender.

• Thanks
Reactions: Brie and harlan4096

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
It probably depends on the machine, but I have seen several places that Intercept X should be even very tough on the resources. But also that it should be very good protection. If you wanna use it in tandem with Bitdefender, its probably wise to test the combo first. I think Bitdefender and Intercept X together would be overkill and probably exhaust the machine too molasses.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.