App Review Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 Prevention Test (MrITReviews)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Feedback is always appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Another good review, it appears that BD is very light now.
Great detection as always.
Was looking at this myself a few months ago but decided to continue with Emsi.
Especially now Emsi will use BD's sigs as well :)
Keep up the great work!

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
NSG001 said:

Didn't feel any slow down when doing the test, but mind you it was on a virtual machine.

Tom172 said:
One thing we ca gather from that review is that it's webguard is pretty stellar.

It's web guard is great. Took a while for some of the links to actually get blocked though. :s

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
With Auto-Pilot switched On, you'll see no pop-ups. BD has turned out to be quite a different beast to what I expected. Definitely not your average AV like Avast or AVG, that we're all used to.

I'm quite happy with BDAV at the moment, it's lasted more than a day which is Good news.

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
I recently tried BD Internet Security but I had to uninstall it because all video converters stopped working After starting conversion they stopped at around 20% . I used 6 different software but only one finished his work - Freemake video converter -. I guess there are some BD drivers or services running in background that stops video converter engine to work, No any alert or pop-up showed. Anyone knows what the problem could be? I felt quite bad because BD IS 2013 looks great, very good protecction and not so heavy on resources..oh well I mean lighter than previous versions

However now I'm trying ESET smart Security 6 and it looks very good till now. For sure it has been significantly improved from version 5, though I'm still not so sure about firewall..At the moment I'm running HIPS in Interactive mode, Any suggestions ?

D

Deleted member 178

havok said:
However now I'm trying ESET smart Security 6 and it looks very good till now. For sure it has been significantly improved from version 5, though I'm still not so sure about firewall..At the moment I'm running HIPS in Interactive mode, Any suggestions ?

The FW is quite good to me; i suggest you to run the HIPS in learning mode for few hours (and launch all your apps but be sure to have a clean system) then move back to interactive.

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
BAV and BIS is ok and not that heavy, well actually most AV/IS solution will do good on a Virtual system with 1-2 Gigs of RAM and 2 cores to assigned to it.

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
NSG001 said:
Great detection as always.
Was looking at this myself a few months ago but decided to continue with Emsi.
Especially now Emsi will use BD's sigs as well :)
Keep up the great work!

It's not that light, but it's light enough that you won't notice it for the most part if you are not using any memory hungry apps. Though most new pc should be able to handle it quite easily. I tried all Bitdefender products in realtime and they took approx 6-10% more memory then other AV solution like Avast, Eset, Avira, etc. But just like i said it depends on what you do with what you have. Though in most modern system you will hardly notice the bugger running behind the scene,but in my case i ran it on a 2 Gig win 7 system and boy that extra 8-9% made my memory clock to 100% for most game :p.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Web Shield is obviously a good first line of defense, but I would like to see how it does against some malicious executables after a novice clicks "run".
Web shields are obviously important for prevention, but I wonder how many false positives will result over time? I hate restrictive programs (features), even if they are allegedly looking out for me. I know, as Earth said, that you can make the web shield quiet, but quiet is not good enough if I am refused time and time again while surfing randomly. That is why I prefer Sandboxie over a traditional web shield or AV--NO BS.

I have heard mixed reviews about BIS, but I have a feeling that it is a top 5 solution as far as suites go.

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
The FW is quite good to me; i suggest you to run the HIPS in learning mode for few hours (and launch all your apps but be sure to have a clean system) then move back to interactive.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I used Kaspersky Internet Security in the last 3 years, and I still think that is the best, But now license expired and I wanted to try something new. I tried BIS but it looks perhaps I need more RAM ???!? to make everything works fine with that - I'm running a w7 2Gb ram x32 right now - I think that should be fine but perhaps BIS is really "resources hungry"..
What do you suggest to replace KIS ?
I'm trying ESS 6 and it works fine but after some years of KIS I feel like something is missing...Perhaps I need some time to get "familiar" with ESS 6...
If you know some good\great securitiy suite I could give a try every suggestion is welcome...or do you think ESS 6 is good enough ?
BTW do you know if is possible to use an addional real-time protection - for example Malwarebites PRO - at the same time with ESS 6 or get conflict ?

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Gnosis said:
Sanboxie + Shadow Defender while surfing = OMG Awesome protection.

Kind of like a virtual environment wrapped in a virtual environment (less the OS). Right?

Yup. Free from havoc, if anything does go bad all you have to do is restart and presto clean system. :heart:

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
havok said:
Umbra Corp. said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I used Kaspersky Internet Security in the last 3 years, and I still think that is the best, But now license expired and I wanted to try something new. I tried BIS but it looks perhaps I need more RAM ???!? to make everything works fine with that - I'm running a w7 2Gb ram x32 right now - I think that should be fine but perhaps BIS is really "resources hungry"..
What do you suggest to replace KIS ?
I'm trying ESS 6 and it works fine but after some years of KIS I feel like something is missing...Perhaps I need some time to get "familiar" with ESS 6...
If you know some good\great securitiy suite I could give a try every suggestion is welcome...or do you think ESS 6 is good enough ?
BTW do you know if is possible to use an addional real-time protection - for example Malwarebites PRO - at the same time with ESS 6 or get conflict ?

I think i know the perfect package for you. Zonealarm AV + FW. Zonealarm is a well renowned Firewall (w/o HIPS) which uses kaspersky AV engine. So that likes having Kaspersky AV + one of the best Firewall out there free of cost. That will be like having KIS with a makeover and without the Virtual keyboard :p.

Oh and do update your system configuration here >>>> Configuration Wizard so we can assist you better

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013
mercurial said:
I think i know the perfect package for you. Zonealarm AV + FW. Zonealarm is a well renowned Firewall (w/o HIPS) which uses kaspersky AV engine. So that likes having Kaspersky AV + one of the best Firewall out there free of cost. That will be like having KIS with a makeover and without the Virtual keyboard :p.

Oh and do update your system configuration here >>>> Configuration Wizard so we can assist you better

Thanks for suggestion.

Ya I know Zonealarm firewall but no news about AV...
Have you ever tried that ? I mean do you really know how it perform in detection rate, malware removal... ?
At the moment I'm running ESS 6 because I already tried ages ago NOD 32 and I know it works fine. Problem is I'm not so sure about firewall..
However just for "checking" I think I could give a try to ZIS or ZES .
Sadly Virtual Keyboard is not the only one missing compared to KIS, but a lot of features (Stop & Resume scanning, SafeMoney, re-scanning quarantined items at every update, vulnerability scan, rescue CD..)
BTW I have no problem in spending money for security if I can get an effective high level protection, so even if you have to suggest some shareware software no problem - though I know that is possible to get low\medium level protection with shareware software as well...-

I'll post my config as soon as possible thanks

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
havok said:
mercurial said:

Thanks for suggestion.

Ya I know Zonealarm firewall but no news about AV...
Have you ever tried that ? I mean do you really know how it perform in detection rate, malware removal... ?
At the moment I'm running ESS 6 because I already tried ages ago NOD 32 and I know it works fine. Problem is I'm not so sure about firewall..
However just for "checking" I think I could give a try to ZIS or ZES .
Sadly Virtual Keyboard is not the only one missing compared to KIS, but a lot of features (Stop & Resume scanning, SafeMoney, re-scanning quarantined items at every update, vulnerability scan, rescue CD..)
BTW I have no problem in spending money for security if I can get an effective high level protection, so even if you have to suggest some shareware software no problem - though I know that is possible to get low\medium level protection with shareware software as well...-

I'll post my config as soon as possible thanks
Zonealarm uses "Kaspersky" Antivirus Engine so detection rate malware removal,etc will be on par with Kaspersky Antivirus(KAV) or Kasperky Internet Security (KIS). Yes i have tried it and it is pretty good with all the goodies like Application Control, Two Way Firewall, OS protection,etc. As for te virtual keyboard it's not really an issue you can a virtual keyboard here Virtual Keyboard."SafeMoney" i think is from Bitdefender so i don't think it availaible in Kaspersky as well. Rescue Disc you can make a image snapshot of your system using a lot of other programs which are both free and paid, though McLovin will give you hints on those it's his department :p. With Zonealarm itself your system will be safe w/o any issue i can tell you that much, the only thing Zonealarm is bad is it's heavy like kaspersky so i believe if you ran Kaspersky w.o much of an issue ZA will work just fine.

Cheers

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.