App Review Bitdefender Total Security 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Bitdefender Total Security 2022
Installation (rating)
3.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
I personally do no not like this kind of interfaces, for me looks like Jenga with all the boxes and switches.
Dark mode for me is badly written, the notifications are hard to read.
Performance (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Protection is good, BD uses HTTPS injection, so no Browser Extention for this, except Anti Tracker Extention.
Phising and Malware pages are detected fine. Most Malware samples i tested were detected.
But.....
Installing VPN from the interface will take forever, better install it seperately with the installer.
The updates to download and install take a while, the updates are all small files that need to be loaded and installed ( this really makes no sense for me )

Safepay simply dont work when you use the bookmark in your browser. It only works when you type the URL.

And now the biggest frustating error of this program :

After a couple of days, Services not responding and Bitdefender will never start.
Talked to support and they know about this ( same like many years ago ) and still not fixed.
Some people have this, others do not have this issue.

For me this is the last time i installed this Bugdefender I sorry for the name )

I will not recommend this BD anymore, if you really want the Bitdefender Signaturs, go for GDATA/VIPRE or other programs that use the BD engine and Signatures.
Browser protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Easy to use
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Effective malware removal
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Short on configuration options
    • Clumsy or awkward interface (UI)
    • Not as many features as some competitors
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
Intel i3 processor
Tower PC
10GB RAM
240GB SSD
Recommended for
  1. Inexperienced users
  2. Financial banking or trading
  3. Low spec PCs
Overall rating
3.00 star(s)

safetrend

Level 1
Apr 15, 2022
I have 2 years license for BIS and I didn't even used half of it. Whenever I configure BIS antivirus sector, it cancels my configuration without my approval. (specifically it turns off scan for archive and script.) I don't know whether it's just UI Bug and those scans are actually working fine, but it's quite old problem and bitdefender doesn't fix it.

Last edited:

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello :)

Bitdefender I also had difficulties.
Indeed, I use a vpn during my surfing, which allows me to have a little anonymity but also to see geoblocked contents.
I use a 1Gbps fiber connection.

After installing Bitdefender, my speed drops sharply to... 40mbps... (measured on Speedtest)
Tested with many vpn, same problem.
I test with Bitdefender VPN, 250mbps.....

I uninstall Bitdefender, I find my 1gbps...
That's why I don't use it.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Hello :)

Indeed, I use a vpn during my surfing, which allows me to have a little anonymity but also to see geoblocked contents.

After installing Bitdefender, my speed drops sharply to... 40mbps... (measured on Speedtest)

They force you to use the BD VPN but when you want to install it from the main program, it keeps loading forever.
For me the BD time is over and done.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
After a couple of days, Services not responding and Bitdefender will never start.
Talked to support and they know about this ( same like many years ago ) and still not fixed.
Some people have this

I have this problem also & their support is too worst ( they just said reinstall it :| )
As I remeber BD still remain BugDefender no more....

Hello

BD VPN is based on hotspot shield vpn , I remember that company install PUP in its users systems....

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Some people have this

I have this problem also & their support is too worst ( they just said reinstall it :| )

BD VPN is based on hotspot shield vpn , I remember that company install PUP in its users systems....
Know exactly what you mean

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Some people have this

I have it on 2 devices and I don't have that problem that the services don't start. Your pc could be the problem. Why do they say that it is bugged if it is one of the best av on the market and if not the best. The technologies used by BD are not found in any other av engine, an example of this is the BitDefenderTheta ai. Greetings.
The only bug I've had is a problem with web scan, especially encrypted scan, which has problems with twitch certificates. Solution disable that feature. Y another thing Bitdefender doesn't need to be configured like other av's because it works entirely with artificial intelligence, install it and forget it.
I think the only thing that bothers me is the mandatory installation of the vpn, since if you uninstall it, it will install itself and it does not allow you to not install it in its installer. I feel that this happens because the banking protection works mixed with the vpn.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I have it on 2 devices and I don't have that problem that the services don't start. Your pc could be the problem. Why do they say that it is bugged if it is one of the best av on the market and if not the best. The technologies used by BD are not found in any other av engine, an example of this is the BitDefenderTheta ai. Greetings.
The only bug I've had is a problem with web scan, especially encrypted scan, which has problems with twitch certificates. Solution disable that feature. Y another thing Bitdefender doesn't need to be configured like other av's because it works entirely with artificial intelligence, install it and forget it.
I think the only thing that bothers me is the mandatory installation of the vpn, since if you uninstall it, it will install itself and it does not allow you to not install it in its installer. I feel that this happens because the banking protection works mixed with the vpn.
It’s not my pc, since this service issue happend on all 3 of my computers here at exactly the same time. Like @omidomi said , he has the same issue and support knows about this for more than 3 years and they don’t fix it. Just ask to reinstall. So be happy it has not happens to you yet. For me absolutely not one of the best AV.

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
It’s not my pc, since this service issue happend on all 3 of my computers here at exactly the same time. Like @omidomi said , he has the same issue and support knows about this for more than 3 years and they don’t fix it. Just ask to reinstall. So be happy it has not happens to you yet. For me absolutely not one of the best AV.
format and see if the same problem continues, it has never happened to me at least, and bitdefender is considered one of the best engines on the market. That's why it's heavy, although I don't know if it's that heavy, since in the last analysis of av-comparative, it was even lighter than Kaspersky. Greetings.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
format and see if the same problem continues, it has never happened to me at least, and bitdefender is considered one of the best engines on the market. That's why it's heavy, although I don't know if it's that heavy, since in the last analysis of av-comparative, it was even lighter than Kaspersky. Greetings.
Format 3 good working computers ? For Bugdefender ? Not gonna happen. Im using Norton360 Premium on 5 devices without any issues. Never Bitdefender again in this house.

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

Hotspot Shield comes with my Dashlane subscription, and the installer does not come bundled with any extra programmes. Maybe because it is a premium license?

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
I have been using be for a bit, but when I tried out kaspersky again I could feel that Bd is very heavy. The browsing speed is much faster with kaspersky and same with the overall system responsiveness

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Kaspersky's engine is one of the best and it is not heavy. The same can be said about Eset's. I believe BD should work on optimising their engine. Many products that were using BD's engine changed to Avira.
kaspersky is overrated, and outperformed in many tests by antiviruses like Avast, so I don't know if it's that good. The antivirus that changed to Avira is because it is "lighter" but not because it is better. Bullguard changed to Avira because it was acquired by Norton. And f-secure switched to Avira to lighten it up a bit. Greetings. What happens is that those who use only the bitdefender engine do not use their technologies like photon, that's why they become heavy. The strange thing is that even though bitdefenfer is "heavy" gets very good results in av-performance. Greetings again

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

kaspersky is overrated, and outperformed in many tests by antiviruses like Avast, so I don't know if it's that good. The antivirus that changed to Avira is because it is "lighter" but not because it is better. Bullguard changed to Avira because it was acquired by Norton. And f-secure switched to Avira to lighten it up a bit. Greetings. What happens is that those who use only the bitdefender engine do not use their technologies like photon, that's why they become heavy. The strange thing is that even though bitdefenfer is "heavy" gets very good results in av-performance. Greetings again
Kaspersky is overrated? So you say. Just have a look at tests performed here and anywhere. I believe Bullguard started using Avira engine long before it was acquired. Avira signatures are very good and accompanied with a good BB, you are good to go. Regarding BD Photon technology, I have never seen it in action and when I contacted support, they informed me that it takes a few days for BD to adapt to my PC's resources, but that never happened. BD is lighter than it was before, but it is still heavy.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
I do not want to discuss this topic, but we're living in a crazy world. American software is no better than Russian. Personally I would use Russian software over US ones.
It depends, I'll discuss it with you. Norton has proven to be an excellent antivirus, sonar is very effective, and now with the Avira + Avast acquisitions it can become a very powerful av. On the other hand Kaspersky, despite being a widely used AV, is being banned from several countries and that can make your product lose strength. Greetings.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.