App Review Bitdefender Total Security 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Bitdefender Total Security 2022
Installation (rating)
3.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
I personally do no not like this kind of interfaces, for me looks like Jenga with all the boxes and switches.
Dark mode for me is badly written, the notifications are hard to read.
Performance (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Protection is good, BD uses HTTPS injection, so no Browser Extention for this, except Anti Tracker Extention.
Phising and Malware pages are detected fine. Most Malware samples i tested were detected.
But.....
Installing VPN from the interface will take forever, better install it seperately with the installer.
The updates to download and install take a while, the updates are all small files that need to be loaded and installed ( this really makes no sense for me )

Safepay simply dont work when you use the bookmark in your browser. It only works when you type the URL.

And now the biggest frustating error of this program :

After a couple of days, Services not responding and Bitdefender will never start.
Talked to support and they know about this ( same like many years ago ) and still not fixed.
Some people have this, others do not have this issue.

For me this is the last time i installed this Bugdefender I sorry for the name )

I will not recommend this BD anymore, if you really want the Bitdefender Signaturs, go for GDATA/VIPRE or other programs that use the BD engine and Signatures.
Browser protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Easy to use
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Effective malware removal
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Short on configuration options
    • Clumsy or awkward interface (UI)
    • Not as many features as some competitors
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
Intel i3 processor
Tower PC
10GB RAM
240GB SSD
Recommended for
  1. Inexperienced users
  2. Financial banking or trading
  3. Low spec PCs
Overall rating
3.00 star(s)

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
a

Buggy ? I don’t think you are right. It runs perfect and with my and @Shadowra testing it detects and removes any malware without any issue.
Get your facts straight 😀
My facts are based on my own experience with norton(1+years)
I am here to share my experience If you want to get facts straight I think you should do that first.
Also do forget the last big Norton update ( the first version number) is in 2012 ( one of the norton community helper said that) . So would a software that is released in 2012 and haven't recived any huge update be working bugless in 2022?
Btw the file that Norton struggles to remove is a browser download file of a fp.
Cheers :)

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Time for someone to test. :)

I have tested it enough I think :p
Indeed it is excellent.
The only problem I can point out is on Powershell malware. Norton tends to skip them (I managed to install a Bihrat yesterday... But I can excuse it, only Bitdefender (Emsisoft, Gdata, Alyac, EScan too) , Eset and Kaspersky detected it).
Norton started screaming with its anti-intrusion module and suggested to use NPE.
The threat was removed.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I have tested it enough I think :p
Indeed it is excellent.
The only problem I can point out is on Powershell malware. Norton tends to skip them (I managed to install a Bihrat yesterday... But I can excuse it, only Bitdefender (Emsisoft, Gdata, Alyac, EScan too) , Eset and Kaspersky detected it).
Norton started screaming with its anti-intrusion module and suggested to use NPE.
The threat was removed.
if NPE pops up it means it’s detected 😀

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I have it on 2 devices and I don't have that problem that the services don't start. Your pc could be the problem. Why do they say that it is bugged if it is one of the best av on the market and if not the best. The technologies used by BD are not found in any other av engine, an example of this is the BitDefenderTheta ai. Greetings.
The only bug I've had is a problem with web scan, especially encrypted scan, which has problems with twitch certificates. Solution disable that feature. Y another thing Bitdefender doesn't need to be configured like other av's because it works entirely with artificial intelligence, install it and forget it.
I think the only thing that bothers me is the mandatory installation of the vpn, since if you uninstall it, it will install itself and it does not allow you to not install it in its installer. I feel that this happens because the banking protection works mixed with the vpn.
Hm...
Right may be my PC is Problem btw Idk why another Avs work well :unsure:
Who said BD Company is 'one of the best?!'
Any Evidence about it?
Bitdefender is just a Private Company & no one know whats happen there!
It’s not my pc, since this service issue happend on all 3 of my computers here at exactly the same time. Like @omidomi said , he has the same issue and support knows about this for more than 3 years and they don’t fix it. Just ask to reinstall. So be happy it has not happens to you yet. For me absolutely not one of the best AV.
My problem happens in 2014....a day I start my pc & BD logo go gray & not work :(

Hotspot Shield comes with my Dashlane subscription, and the installer does not come bundled with any extra programmes. Maybe because it is a premium license?
you may read this:

Wontkins

Level 1
May 9, 2022
I'm using BTS trial. I like it pretty well but some things about the interface I don't care for. I don't notice any heaviness on this machine (Win 8.1 i7-3770, 8GB) but tried it on an old slower Win 7 laptop and it was unusable. Newegg has a deal, BTS, 2 years, 5 devices for 30 dollars. I might stay with it.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
I'm using BTS trial. I like it pretty well but some things about the interface I don't care for. I don't notice any heaviness on this machine (Win 8.1 i7-3770, 8GB) but tried it on an old slower Win 7 laptop and it was unusable. Newegg has a deal, BTS, 2 years, 5 devices for 30 dollars. I might stay with it.

Use whatever works for you. For me it is too heavy.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Bitdefender has always been heavy/buggy on my system however protection wise it's pretty good (specially the anti-ransomware module). Some weeks ago I tried the new BD Free but had to restore a system image since it slowed down my laptop to a crawl (Postman and other programs I use on a daily basis took ages to open even WD performs better).

EDIT: I forgot to add that running a full system scan while working inside WSL2 made the OS freeze (only the cursor worked), subsequent scans ran fine tho.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I don't want to add fuel to the fire with Sunday. But I got the BD TS the other day. I was a little apprehensive about installing it (reading reviews about the heaviness of the program). I got the laptop after a full first scan. Intensive work on the laptop (browsing with multiple tabs open in Opera). I don't notice any drastic slowdown.
I have been changing security quite often lately. But BD TS is really - I emphasize - on my laptop light to use.
Arcabit which I used for a long time was harder to use (windows took longer to boot, launching other functions took longer).
I don't use BD VPN - but I guess it doesn't matter that much.
For me a better choice is BD IS.
BD TS has tools e.g. for system optimization which is unnecessary for me.

To sum up, I think that on each device the program behaves differently and should not be put into one bag - because someone says so
I am an example of that.
Have a nice Sunday
✌️

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
From this place I can praise Polish BD support. Very quickly respond to problems asked them. Yesterday they helped me to remove from my BD Central account my BD Total Security 180 day Trial subscription because I had a problem with installing BD IS. They handled the issue very quickly and professionally.

The worst support has Avira unfortunately.
That's where paid version customers count.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I did buy BTS. It runs fine. The weird thing is their VPN that's added on. You get 200mb a day and by the time I go to check the IP address and another like site it tells me my 200mb is used up. Wow, that was fast. So for me it's a useless add on to BTS.

I look forward to your BD purchase. I have BD IS and I don't use BD VPN either

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.