App Review Bitdefender Total Security 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Bitdefender Total Security 2022
Installation (rating)
3.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
I personally do no not like this kind of interfaces, for me looks like Jenga with all the boxes and switches.
Dark mode for me is badly written, the notifications are hard to read.
Performance (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Protection is good, BD uses HTTPS injection, so no Browser Extention for this, except Anti Tracker Extention.
Phising and Malware pages are detected fine. Most Malware samples i tested were detected.
But.....
Installing VPN from the interface will take forever, better install it seperately with the installer.
The updates to download and install take a while, the updates are all small files that need to be loaded and installed ( this really makes no sense for me )

Safepay simply dont work when you use the bookmark in your browser. It only works when you type the URL.

And now the biggest frustating error of this program :

After a couple of days, Services not responding and Bitdefender will never start.
Talked to support and they know about this ( same like many years ago ) and still not fixed.
Some people have this, others do not have this issue.

For me this is the last time i installed this Bugdefender I sorry for the name )

I will not recommend this BD anymore, if you really want the Bitdefender Signaturs, go for GDATA/VIPRE or other programs that use the BD engine and Signatures.
Browser protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Easy to use
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Effective malware removal
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Short on configuration options
    • Clumsy or awkward interface (UI)
    • Not as many features as some competitors
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
Intel i3 processor
Tower PC
10GB RAM
240GB SSD
Recommended for
  1. Inexperienced users
  2. Financial banking or trading
  3. Low spec PCs
Overall rating
3.00 star(s)

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Hello :)

Bitdefender I also had difficulties.
Indeed, I use a vpn during my surfing, which allows me to have a little anonymity but also to see geoblocked contents.
I use a 1Gbps fiber connection.

After installing Bitdefender, my speed drops sharply to... 40mbps... (measured on Speedtest)
Tested with many vpn, same problem.
I test with Bitdefender VPN, 250mbps.....

I uninstall Bitdefender, I find my 1gbps...
That's why I don't use it.
I tested the VPN now with Bitdefender Total Security. My line is 500mbps down and 300mbps up. Without VPN I get this speed fine, and with VPN I get 485mbps down, and 300 up.:)

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
This is the test sites:

speedtest.net/

bredbandskollen.se/

nettfart.no/nb/test

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
If I know what I am doing ( being careful of what applications I download, or sites I go. ) is it ok to turn off this:
Scan for PUP:
1658536144615.png

ken1943

Aug 24, 2022
I have it on 2 devices and I don't have that problem that the services don't start. Your pc could be the problem. Why do they say that it is bugged if it is one of the best av on the market and if not the best. The technologies used by BD are not found in any other av engine, an example of this is the BitDefenderTheta ai. Greetings.
The only bug I've had is a problem with web scan, especially encrypted scan, which has problems with twitch certificates. Solution disable that feature. Y another thing Bitdefender doesn't need to be configured like other av's because it works entirely with artificial intelligence, install it and forget it.
I think the only thing that bothers me is the mandatory installation of the vpn, since if you uninstall it, it will install itself and it does not allow you to not install it in its installer. I feel that this happens because the banking protection works mixed with the vpn.
I just disabled the vpn service

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Bitdefender total security is good,but for me Kaspersky plus is better ( comes with unlimited VPN , password manager) Bitdefender you have to pay extra for them, and Kaspersky less false positives,this is based on me just trying and leaving Bitdefender for..... ,I just can't find better.. Kaspersky plus

Jonny Quest

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Bitdefender total security is good,but for me Kaspersky plus is better ( comes with unlimited VPN , password manager) Bitdefender you have to pay extra for them, and Kaspersky less false positives,this is based on me just trying and leaving Bitdefender for..... ,I just can't find better.. Kaspersky plus
Yet with Bitdefender Premium Security, it does include unlimited (Premium) VPN, as well as Password Manager.
Having both a BD Total Security and Kaspersky Plus subscription, I know what you're saying, and IMO, Kaspersky is also more stable, with fewer glitches and less need of running an occasional repair etc.

Last edited:

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Kaspersky is not better than Bitdefender, the protection is similar, there are even many tests on the internet where Bitdefender protects the system better, and without having so much configuration

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.