App Review Bitdefender Total Security

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Bitdefender test!
Bitdefender is a Romanian company, well known in the world of cyber security.

Very appreciated for its family side, Bitdefender has been strengthened over the years to improve itself due to the growing number of threats.
In this version... I didn't see a change, apart from an effort on web blocking which is at the source.

In protection, Bitdefender keeps its reputation as an excellent antivirus!
However, I note 2 concerns that lower its rating.

The first one is the antivirus engine, which is for me less efficient than before.
Even if its AI and behavioral protection intercept threats, it's a shame to have a drop.

The second point is on the malware script. Bitdefender has blocked them, but it doesn't know how to remedy them. A JS is always present with its startup key, and the Java malware is completely installed, and without reaction.
The machine will need a cleanup.

RAM Usage : Light
Malware URL test : 10/10 (All blocked)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected)
Malware Pack : Remaining 21 files out of 231.
A decrease on the engine by signature is noted.
Nevertheless, Bitdefender knows how to defend itself against threats.
But it does not know how to remedy a threat.
A JS script is present and has written a key at startup despite Bitdefender's removal and the machine is infected by a Java malware.

Resistance to script attacks: Yes

Result :
Bitdefender: 0
NPE : 4 (2 files detected is a false positive from VyprVPN)
KVRT : 4

Recommand : Yes
System Clean : System infected

@DDE_Server request

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Fantastic video, as always @Shadowra. Off topic question…. I was wondering if GDATA’s Deep Ray or Beast would have “caught and disinfected” these types of files. Bitdefender under their hood, just different approaches. Thanks again, and Happy Holidays y’all ✌️

likeastar20

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
Fantastic video, as always @Shadowra. Off topic question…. I was wondering if GDATA’s Deep Ray or Beast would have “caught and disinfected” these types of files. Bitdefender under their hood, just different approaches. Thanks again, and Happy Holidays y’all ✌️
In a previous test by @Shadowra , it didn't do a good job cleaning the leftovers, so it's not always consistent.

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
In a previous test by @Shadowra , it didn't do a good job cleaning the leftovers, so it's not always consistent.

What software are you talking about? Gdata? Bitdefender?

Reactions: Nevi and Sorrento

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Bitdefender test!
Bitdefender is a Romanian company, well known in the world of cyber security.

Very appreciated for its family side, Bitdefender has been strengthened over the years to improve itself due to the growing number of threats.
In this version... I didn't see a change, apart from an effort on web blocking which is at the source.

In protection, Bitdefender keeps its reputation as an excellent antivirus!
However, I note 2 concerns that lower its rating.

The first one is the antivirus engine, which is for me less efficient than before.
Even if its AI and behavioral protection intercept threats, it's a shame to have a drop.

The second point is on the malware script. Bitdefender has blocked them, but it doesn't know how to remedy them. A JS is always present with its startup key, and the Java malware is completely installed, and without reaction.
The machine will need a cleanup.

RAM Usage : Light
Malware URL test : 10/10 (All blocked)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected)
Malware Pack : Remaining 21 files out of 231.
A decrease on the engine by signature is noted.
Nevertheless, Bitdefender knows how to defend itself against threats.
But it does not know how to remedy a threat.
A JS script is present and has written a key at startup despite Bitdefender's removal and the machine is infected by a Java malware.

Resistance to script attacks: Yes

Result :
Bitdefender: 0
NPE : 4 (2 files detected is a false positive from VyprVPN)
KVRT : 4

Recommand : Yes
System Clean : System infected

@DDE_Server request

Thank you so much my friend (y)

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
I must say, this is concerning. As someone who refuses to use Kaspersky or anything Norton/Lifelock owns (be it for political or privacy trust issues), it seems like the only companies left are Bitdefender, F-Secure, Windows Defender, or ESET, and ESET is pricing their stuff higher than ever, with a global recession hitting everyone hard.

I'm currently using that 4 year free F-Secure giveaway license and have a 2 year BD license in my pocket. Just seems like we're leaving the age of "anything reputable will be fine" behind, and fewer and fewer AVs can catch up.

Andrezj

Level 6
Nov 21, 2022
1 infection out of 231
99.6% effective

in the case of actively running infection, the system can no longer be trusted even after antivirus says it has removed active infection
the infection could have made many undesirable changes within the file system or registry, no antivirus will detect and reverse all of the changes either through removal or rollback
expecting or relying upon av to perform complete remediation is unrealistic and unsafe
secure practice is to clean install operating system

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
1 infection out of 231
99.6% effective

in the case of actively running infection, the system can no longer be trusted even after antivirus says it has removed active infection
the infection could have made many undesirable changes within the file system or registry, no antivirus will detect and reverse all of the changes either through removal or rollback
expecting or relying upon av to perform complete remediation is unrealistic and unsafe
I second this. I don’t care about remediation. Just detection so I can reimage or clean install.

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
1 infection out of 231
99.6% effective

I think we misunderstood each other.
Indeed a threat is well passed.
Except in my summary, I include everything. Whether it is Java malware, the remains of the JS script etc.. So you may have misunderstood it.
Then I also pointed out that Bitdefender is regressing on signature-based detection. Even if it is outdated (because we don't protect users like that), it is still worth mentioning. :)

Andrezj

Level 6
Nov 21, 2022
I think we misunderstood each other.
Indeed a threat is well passed.
Except in my summary, I include everything. Whether it is Java malware, the remains of the JS script etc.. So you may have misunderstood it.
Then I also pointed out that Bitdefender is regressing on signature-based detection. Even if it is outdated (because we don't protect users like that), it is still worth mentioning. :)
i understood your report
my reply was to address others who think bitdefender is not good based upon your test results
although it is understandable that users want these av products to perform perfectly in everything, that is not a realistic expectation

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
i understood your report
my reply was to address others who think bitdefender is not good based upon your test results
although it is understandable that users want these av products to perform perfectly in everything, that is not a realistic expectation

I don't think so because I did say this : " In protection, Bitdefender keeps its reputation as an excellent antivirus! " :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.