Advice Request Bitdefender vs Avira Database

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which engine should I enable in Qihoo 360

• Bitdefender

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Avira

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Both

Votes: 43 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

greyowl

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 4, 2017
I am considering using 360 TS or 360 TSE.
I just want a basic antivirus program with good detection that doesn't bog down my old laptop.
I see there is an option of using BitDefender or Avira data base.
Which would be best to use?
Are they kept updated?
The other alternative I am considering is Avast. Which would be better?

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
from this 3 i would go with avast. Be aware that u need to make a costum installation when u only want realtimeprotection/behavourblodker and webshield. The next one would be to put hardernd mode to aggressive and pup detection on. If u want a realy light av, than u need to change one settings in the fielsysstemshield. The setting that scans all files when u access them after you restart the pc or the signatures got updated. U can untick this and only use the whole cash, that when a file is safe, it will not be scaned again after restart or virus defenition update. Im sorry, i dont know how to call the function and where it is located. But it is there, somewhere. :)

Have a nice day. :)

greyowl

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 4, 2017
Are both Avira and BD databases kept updated? It seems like I heard there was some trouble with this.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Sometimes avira , BD are 1 week behind with signatures ! So not good.
Avast / AVG is way much better for protection, also BD free edition

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
  • Avira and BD signatures are more or less equally powerful. It's not correct to say that only BD and Kaspersky have the best ones always.
  • Signature protection is a small part of protection, an AV with a usually effective Behavior Blocker (etc) is needed. 360 TS/TSE have an awesome Qihoo Cloud Engine (that also generates a good no. of False Positive alerts)
  • 360 TS is more updated/maintained and 360 TS > 360 TSE in terms of protection (compromise with program size for protection)
  • BD and Avira signatures are sometimes a day old (BD may be two days old) and update only 2ce a day. Sometimes checking for updates repeatedly allows the latest updates to be downloaded (weird right?)
  • You can activate both engines with a slight overhead than having only one enabled
  • If you use 360 TS, also use a complementary Firewall (like Zonealarm free FW) or a Windows Firewall Controller like Binisoft WFC
  • Avast free is another nice AV that has a special provision of 'Hardened Mode'. That allows blocking (by default) of files not known as safe, by the huge Avast database. Protection wise, it's great if configured well.
  • You can refer this thread to configure Avast. See how the 2 Hardened Mode options work here and select the better one for you.

Last edited:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I'd fine Avast free to be the best in basic protection. Quihoo Total Security is another good one. The protection on both Avira and Bitdefender is amazing, but the programs seem really resource intensive. I think SecureAPlus uses both BD and Avira so maybe look at that too. :)

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Both engines preferably.
If you must only have one then I'd say Bitdefender if your main objective is performance (Avira's engine has been known to cause some performance issues in the past) and Avira if you main objective is protection (Bitdefender's engine suffers from frequent update delays; usually by an entire day).

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Avira has a Much, Much better signature database than BD in my opinion. BD signatures are extremely over rated.

They are over rated because they used to be the best some years ago.
Now I think their signatures are just average.

Reactions: ZeroDay

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I would choose Avira definitions because they seemed lighter(less ram & cpu while idling and scanning) on my system (laptop). You could just try them both one by one and see which one suits you (because detection wise both seems great).
PS tried them few months ago, situation maybe different now.

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
if someone wants to use BD or Avira both are providing free version. I am not much educated to see the benefits of using BD or Avira through 360.if 360 is not providing enough security without BD or Avira why to use it if it can then why to use BD or Avira.
I mean why to install 3 antivirus instead of 3 different security layers.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.