Advice Request Bitdefender vs Avira Database

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which engine should I enable in Qihoo 360

• Bitdefender

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Avira

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Both

Votes: 43 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
You may try 360 total security + vodoooshield free. 360 TS is more efficient and more updated than 360 TSE (from some cruelsister videos). VoodooShield connects to VirusTotal, so you can use both Avira and BD engines. Both programs are really light

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
Avira database is way outdated. Although the interface says that Avira is updated, if you open the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\360\Total Security\deepscan\SDEng\savapi, and open with notepad the vbase031.vdf (which is the latest database file) you will see this interesting thing (I'm writing at 10.35 GMT so it is possible they're going to update database later)

Virus Database File
Version: 7.14.3.174
FUP: 1
License date: 3.5.2017
VDF date: 3.5.2017
Minimum engine: 7.9.4.32
Signatures: 12491653
Required linked VDF: 7.14.3.89
Source: 7.14.3.174
Compiler: 1.5.0.4

Same thing is you unzip the stand alone Avira database file that you can download from Quihoo site.

So Avira is totally useless in Quihoo.

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Avira database is way outdated. Although the interface says that Avira is updated, if you open the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\360\Total Security\deepscan\SDEng\savapi, and open with notepad the vbase031.vdf (which is the latest database file) you will see this interesting thing (I'm writing at 10.35 GMT so it is possible they're going to update database later)

Virus Database File
Version: 7.14.3.174
FUP: 1
License date: 3.5.2017
VDF date: 3.5.2017
Minimum engine: 7.9.4.32
Signatures: 12491653
Required linked VDF: 7.14.3.89
Source: 7.14.3.174
Compiler: 1.5.0.4

Same thing is you unzip the stand alone Avira database file that you can download from Quihoo site.

This ain't a good thing. I'd checked the definitions in that file about a year back when I used it, and it had shown DB about 3 days old.
There is a little chance that the database update component is corrupt. Can you check for updates again? Sometimes the GUI shows "updated" but it actually does not install updates in a single go.
If you're sure that your system isn't infected (that may affect 360), better report this issue to Qihoo.

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
This ain't a good thing. I'd checked the definitions in that file about a year back when I used it, and it had shown DB about 3 days old.
There is a little chance that the database update component is corrupt. Can you check for updates again? Sometimes the GUI shows "updated" but it actually does not install updates in a single go.
If you're sure that your system isn't infected (that may affect 360), better report this issue to Qihoo.

I've two systems (totally virus clean) with Qihoo installed and both report the same. I reported this issue to Qihoo some time ago but got no useful feedback. I just guess they have a very limited license by Avira.
If someone has qihoo installed can check please?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@davetenay definition updates:

360 updates.jpg

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014

It's the same way on PCs here too. Are you sure the updated sigs aren't stored someplace else? Looks bad for sure. This wouldn't contain definitions for any of the latest ransomware.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Looks at least like Bitdefender defs are being updated:

Bitdefender.png

Opening file no header to read, but maybe there is one with a header. Searched the contents of the BD plugin folder where I found what I think are the BD defs but it didn't find anything using the word date. Nonetheless this database looks far more extensive than the Avira one.

Not a deal breaker for me right now. The cloud defs are probably getting better fairly quickly. So far, I don't think they're very good, but the focus may be on filling in where BD and Avira leave off mostly. I've seen tests of the cloud only setup, and it wasn't very impressive.

Still believe 360 is here to stay. Tough times getting to the next level for the company I think right now. There's alot of talk about greed and so on, but companies have to generate revenues to pay employees and then profits to pay investors. Ultimately, it's all about the product or nobody gets paid, so I feel like Qihoo higher ups are aware of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy and roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.