Advice Request Bitdefender vs Avira Database

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which engine should I enable in Qihoo 360

• Bitdefender

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Avira

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Both

Votes: 43 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
Today Avira was finally updated, although to a few days old database:

Virus Database File
Version: 7.14.11.0
FUP: 1
License date: 8.6.2017
VDF date: 8.6.2017
Minimum engine: 7.9.4.32
Signatures: 13148293
Required linked VDF: 7.14.10.223
Source: 7.14.11.0
Compiler: 1.5.0.4

Now I'm curious to see if we have to wait for another month to get the new update :rolleyes:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Avira has to have rapid delivery else their AV would be useless since it 99% relies on signatures.

Reactions: AtlBo

minhgi

Level 2
Verified
Mar 10, 2017
First post but I have been following this site and other security forum for quite sometime. Normally, you supposed to only have one signature based antivirus and a malware supplemental, but I found out that Quihoo TSE and Avast play nice together without any issue except for the additional memory increase with having two antivirus brand. I have play around with layered protection for years and always changing my security setup depending on changing risks. This is my current setup and free.

Firewall: ZoneAlarm firewall free with default setting
Primary AV: Avast Free with PUP/Harden Mode Aggressive
Secondary AV: Quihoo TSE with all AVs enabled / Registry and scanned file on open disable
Ondemand: all popular antimalwares apps

Anyway, I found both Avast and Quihoo barely use any CPU cycle once they settle in (done with the initial scanning of critical / startup system files). Only when I am installing or updating a program that when I start to see some activities from them; otherwise, only Avast behavioral blocking service seem to be the only process seem running in task manager. Also Quihoo take up about 30-40MB of memory when it does quick scan of a file during idle.

I would have to say this setup didn't have much impact on performance beside a small increase in memory usage. I run this setup on all my laptops and desktops at home, about 7 machines all.

Reactions: Garzaman and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Dear Sir, sorry for the inconvenience caused, could you please provide your email address to us to check?

Dear Sunshine-boy, sorry for the inconvenience.
Where did you feedback your problem to us? Could you please provide your email address to us to check? sorry for the late reply.

I doubt seriously either one of these is Qihoo support. They wouldn't ask for an email address in a forum. If they would, they shouldn't. Maybe a mod should look at this especially from a new member.

Nice job @Sunshine-boy to give the ticket number. Let's see if there is another response now. If this is Qihoo they should be able to find the ticket and contact you, and they should stop asking for e-mail addresses.(n)

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
How Quihoo has fallen down these days! It used to be a clean product with great detection rate, now it is full of advertising and literally the worst in protection as the latest Av-Test.org review proves.

Reactions: AtlBo and Garzaman

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
I have used Qihoo for a long time, they were a real alternative to Avast, Avira ...
Sophos and Kaspersky have filled the hole left by Qihoo and Adaware. two antivirus programs that were very good years ago and have now reduced their quota a lot (I'm talking about my country, I know that in China Qihoo is very used), Adaware I think it is not used even in Lavasoft :eek: :LOL:

Reactions: davetenay and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
How Quihoo has fallen down these days! It used to be a clean product with great detection rate, now it is full of advertising and literally the worst in protection as the latest Av-Test.org review proves.

I took a closer look at the numbers at Av-Test.org. First, glad to see Qihoo back there now. If it were reasonable that they weren't there before, I think it is at this point fair and a good idea for them to be there. On the numbers, they actually aren't really bad numbers all things considered. Yes, zero day detection was a little bit low at 96.8% compared to others. However, that's not really all that bad, considering the lack of testing the program has been getting internationally. If Qihoo is back in the tests for the long term, maybe there will be improvement. Also, the detection of malware found over the last 4 weeks was high at 99.7%. Not bad, but obviously not good enough to get 360 near the top. However, under the surface of things Qihoo is still a good program imo. Looking at the bright side I guess...

Equally as bad as the lowish detection rate, the ads problem seems actually to me possibly the worse issue. It's distracting for a security program to be asking about products. Also, the installation should be straightforward and easy to understand. Shouldn't have all that bundleware...

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.