Bitdefender vs Norton

KonradPL

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
Hello :)

I want to know which IS is better to buy for Windows/Android for whole familly.

Most Important to me is best protection and usability
Both run smooth on my devices.

Recently I read that apparently the best is Kaspersky and Bitdefender but I do not trust Kaspersky

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello :)

To have tested the 2 in videos...

Norton : excellent Machine Learning AI (one of the best), excellent malware detection rate, excellent BB (SONAR) .
On the other hand, the AI tends to make many false positives...and the web detection is bad

Bitdefender : excellent Web filtering, excellent detection rate, Ransomware remediation, excellent Machine Learning AI, anti-attack, knows how to roll back in case of infection (ATP) etc...

Even if Norton is an excellent antivirus, my choice is for Bitdefender. On the other hand Bitdefender tends to be heavy

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Couldn't agree more with @Shadowra

As a user of Norton in one of my laptops, and an ex user of BitDefender (and fanboy) I must say that both of them are powerful, solid suites!

I personally like Norton the most, mainly because of SONAR and the Insight module, also because its approach to unknown files is much cleaner and faster. But aforementioned, web detection is rather poor but I cover that with BD TrafficLight.

BitDefender is also great, light and amazing! Big fan of the ransomware protection and signatures.

You can't go wrong with neither of them.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I would choose Norton if you exclude the crap crypto malware marketing effort
Although My recommendation is trying free ksc
Rather then spending cash on an av
Better buy a book or idk good some burger to eat then waste your money on a somewhat similar product in terms of default security
And don’t use an av on android waste of performance battery and time
I run pixel plus ui (rom for Better , security performance, battery) on old redmi phone never got adware or malware
Using adaway for ads and some other module that removes the smali dex classes that include ads automatically
And scan yearly for ads
Btw install Roma only on phones that don’t get updated with security patches anymore
or bloated ui ones and make sure development is sufficient as some Roms are gae

MegenM

Level 3
Well-known
Jun 8, 2020
I would go with Bitdefender taking into consideration the protection, advanced features, and better pricing plans.

I do not know if this is the case now but I was not allowed to turn off auto-renewal while purchasing. Also, Norton requires you to enter the payment details if you wish to use their trial version and they will charge you after the trial period ends.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I do not know if this is the case now but I was not allowed to turn off auto-renewal while purchasing. Also, Norton requires you to enter the payment details if you wish to use their trial version and they will charge you after the trial period ends.
You can avoid auto-renewal if you purchase from eBay or another third party reseller.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Simple :

Norton always, i tested BD and all those annoying " warnings " that really make no sense, except for them to get you to buy more " protection " from BD.
BD, in the beginning its good, after a while : Services are not responding and the helpdesks great advice : reinstall.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
It's hard for me to comment. I haven't installed Norton in a long time.
I can say a few words about BD. I've been using it for a few days. It is in my opinion, on my laptop - a recommendable program. The detection rate is excellent.
Compared to other programs I have installed - it is really fast (system startup, browsing the web). The full scanning does not cause any problems either - I can use my browser normally.
Currently, I'm using the 180-day version (I'll definitely be renewing the license).
I can safely say that it works like Avira

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
It's hard for me to comment. I haven't installed Norton in a long time.
I can say a few words about BD. I've been using it for a few days. It is in my opinion, on my laptop - a recommendable program. The detection rate is excellent.
Compared to other programs I have installed - it is really fast (system startup, browsing the web). The full scanning does not cause any problems either - I can use my browser normally.
Currently, I'm using the 180-day version (I'll definitely be renewing the license).
I can safely say that it works like Avira
I really hope for you, you dont get the services bug, they refuse to fix this.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Simple :

Norton always, i tested BD and all those annoying " warnings " that really make no sense, except for them to get you to buy more " protection " from BD.
BD, in the beginning its good, after a while : Services are not responding and the helpdesks great advice : reinstall.

BD behaves differently on each device. It is perfectly OK with me. :coffee:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.