Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Capture d’écran 2023-01-24 223545.png

I was at 100 000, I went to 2 000 000 to be safe :cool:

Wladimir Palant

Level 1
Oct 29, 2020
Is it safe to just stay with Bitwarden or should i switch to Dashlane/1Password?
Yes, I’d say so. In my blog post I recommend setting a strong master password however. Note that the “strong” indicator on Bitwarden’s account creation page doesn’t necessarily indicate a strong password. I recommend using a randomly generated passphrase (using diceware for example).
And increasing iteration count won’t hurt, e.g. to the current default (600,000). There is only so much you can achieve here however as long as Bitwarden doesn’t switch to a better KDF.

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
Is it safe to just stay with Bitwarden or should i switch to Dashlane/1Password?
BTW i set my KDF Iteration from 100.000 to 700.000, but is that enough at all?
If you have financial availability to pay, need a simple service with nothing management and need integration with various devices, yes, 1P is probably the most appropriate choice.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Updated old default 100k -> new 350k. Already have strong password & 2FA. I don't keep financial institutions logins on Bitwarden and rarely save card details on retailer sites so not going over the top on this. Still use KeePassXC on main PC as primary (local) password manager.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Some take backs about this as I can sense some are a little scared. (Makes sense)

1. Make a stronger master password
2. Enable 2FA
3. Increase iterations from the base you have to 600k as recommended via this forum & OWASP.

Edit: Bitwarden intends of making the default 600k, no words yet (to my knowledge) on whether this will be the default for all users or only new ones joining.

~LDogg

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Some take backs about this as I can sense some are a little scared. (Makes sense)

1. Make a stronger master password
2. Enable 2FA
3. Increase iterations from the base you have to 350k as recommended via this forum & OWASP.

~LDogg
Done the same, but increased the iterations to 600k as the new, new default:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Done the same, but increased the iterations to 600k as the new, new default:
There's no word on whether this is for new users only or on their back end for all users. Even so, I'll edit my original comment as the consensus is surely at 600k. Thanks again for your words of wisdom, sometimes we all learn from each other and that's what I love about this forum.

~LDogg

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Bitwarden Password Manager will add support for Argon2 KDF soon
The LastPass data breach caused uproar amongst its users and the tech community, but there are several good things that happened in the aftermath of the incident. It actually taught users a lesson in security, don't take things for granted.

It was a wake-up call for many, a rude one, yes, but it has made people think twice about their password storage methods, alternatives they can migrate to, and also to learn more about the settings that they can tweak to improve their password manager's security.

One component which gained a lot of attention was the password iterations count. Amongst other weak points in the attack, LastPass was found to have set the iterations to a low count, which is considered an insecure practice. More recently, Bitwarden users raised their voices asking the company to not make the same mistake as its rival. Bitwarden responded to their requests and has decided to increase the iterations to 600,000, as recommended by OWASP. You can set the value manually by referring to this article.

Let's dig a little deeper about password iterations. There are many types of Key Derivation Functions (KDFs), the most commonly used cryptographic algorithm is PBKDF2, which is the one that's recommended by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). Bcrypt is used by many websites. PBKDF2 uses SHA256 (and SHA512) for hashing and salting the passwords. The higher the number of iterations, the slower it is to run password guesses and breach a vault.

While it can be a good layer of safety, it is actually the weakest version of the KDF versions. It's not necessarily bad, but there are better ones such as Scrypt, Bcrypt, and Argon2. Argon2 is resistant to ASIC and GPU based attacks, and is considered the best of the lot.

PBKDF2 AES iterations relies on a high number of iterations to hash the passwords in an effort to deliberately slow the attacks. With 600,000 it will take a long time to brute-force a vault, and can be taxing on the CPU. Argon2 not only slows down this threat, but also consumes memory for running passes, and it also has a degree of parallelism that is determined by the number of CPU cores/threads. Let's just say it's a lot more expensive for a hacker both in terms of time and resources to attack an Argon2 encrypted database.

You may read more about it at its GitHub page, and on OWASP. This isn't a new request, Bitwarden users have been asking for Argon2 support since 2017 (and 2018), but the idea has only come to fruition now. Quexten, the developer who contributed the code for Argon2 support, agreed to another user's suggestion that Bitwarden would not have expedited the process now if it had not been for the recent LastPass data breach. Here is the pull request for the feature.

There are three types/versions of Argon2: Argon2d, Argon2i and Argon2id. The first one, Argon2d, is resistant to GPU based cracking attacks, but is vulnerable to side-channel attacks. Argon2i is the opposite, its strong against side-channel threats, but is prone to GPU attacks. Argon2id is a hybrid of the two, and as a result offers the best of both worlds.

Bitwarden's implementation will use Argon2id. With PBKDF users have just one parameter that they can control, to set the number of iterations. Argon2 will offer more options, you will be able to set the number of iterations, the amount of memory to use, for example 64MB, and Parallelism lets you define the number of parallel threads to be used.

According to comments posted by Quexten at Bitwarden's community forums, the company has a 5-week release cycle, so we could expect Argon2 support to be added next month on all platforms if the tests are successful. The feature will be opt-in, and should be available on the same page as the password iteration settings in Bitwarden's web vault.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Reactions: R2D2

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
In that case do I have to increase the KDF interactions to 600000? Mine is already 100000.
It would be more safe if you.
From the original article I get that the client side is more important:
So what happens if some malicious actor happens to get a copy of the data, like it happened with LastPass? They will need to decrypt it. And for that, they will have to guess the master password. PBKDF2 is meant to slow down verifying whether a guess is correct.

Testing the guesses against the master password hash would be fairly slow: 200,001 PBKDF2 iterations here. But the attackers wouldn’t waste time doing that of course. Instead, for each guess they would derive an encryption key (100,000 PBKDF2 iterations) and check whether this one can decrypt the data.

This simple tweak removes all the protection granted by the server-side iterations and speeds up master password guessing considerably. Only the client-side iterations really matter as protection.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
In that case do I have to increase the KDF interactions to 600000? Mine is already 100000.
While I have set it to 600K I think it's better if you depended on a strong(er) password than just KDF iteration values. Argon2d (Dashlane uses it) will be an excellent change over..I dare say even an upgrade. I was experimenting with Keepass and its Argon2d KDF settings. I just can't help but be curious. :)

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
While I have set it to 600K I think it's better if you depended on a strong(er) password than just KDF iteration values. Argon2d (Dashlane uses it) will be an excellent change over..I dare say even an upgrade. I was experimenting with Keepass and its Argon2d KDF settings. I just can't help but be curious. :)
Yes, the master password used in all my PMs, are strong enough, even exaggerated enough, that it is boring when I type them, so I won't worry about KDF iteration values changing in Bitwarden. Waiting for the upgrade to Argon2d in Bitwarden. Yes, I also tested Argon2d in keepass, and it worked perfectly. Let's wait.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.