Bitwarden just launched a new authenticator app.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Storing 2FA codes is just the beginning. Bitwarden aims to add defense in depth to authentication.

Bitwarden products equip enterprises and individuals with the ability to securely manage and share sensitive information online: password management for everyone, secrets management for developer and DevOps teams, and software developer tools for passwordless experiences such as passkeys and magic links. These solutions work together, adding protection across organizations that rely on passwords, machine credentials, and passkeys to safeguard sensitive applications and data.

Today, Bitwarden strengthens this security product portfolio with a new authenticator app that protects online services and applications from unauthorized access. Bitwarden Authenticator generates and stores time-based one-time passwords, aka TOTP, which adds another layer of user verification, ensuring identities are confirmed before users gain access to critical data. Released in app stores, Bitwarden Authenticator is available for everyone, even if they are not currently Bitwarden customers.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
It's great to see Bitwarden expanding its security offerings. The new authenticator app should provide an additional layer of protection, making it harder for unauthorized individuals to access sensitive data. It's especially commendable that they've made it accessible to everyone, not just existing customers.

Reactions: Practical Response

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
So far, very few features are available. In fact, except for entering 2FA and then receiving codes, there are no functions at all. No biometric protection of access to the application, no backup in any cloud ..... It seems that they decided to just check the interest of users to such a product?

Currently thinking of switching from Authy to Aegis or 2FA, mb someone can advise which is better?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Bitwarden published a roadmap that highlights upcoming features. These improve the authenticator app significantly.

Here are the features that are in the works:
  • Import option.
  • Sync option with Bitwarden account and thus secure vault.
  • Support for push-based 2FA.
  • Account recovery.
  • Workforce authentication.
The initial version of Bitwarden Authenticator is a bare bones authenticator app. You can add services to it to create authenticator codes for them.

On the plus side, it is open source and does not require Bitwarden or an account to use.

Downside is that it lacks features, for instance sync or password protection, that popular authenticators support. These are in development, however. Import could also be an interesting feature, provided that popular authenticator apps are supported.

The application is a good option for Bitwarden users who want to protect their account with another layer of protection, and have not done so already.

Reactions: toto_10

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Only for iOS and Android...phone based app. I still want my Authy Desktop back ;) :) For now, I don't see enough benefits to make me want to switch to Bitwarden.
They do have a desktop version of Bitwarden, so maybe someday they would develop that for the authenticator?

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024
It's great to see Bitwarden expanding its security offerings. The new authenticator app should provide an additional layer of protection, making it harder for unauthorized individuals to access sensitive data. It's especially commendable that they've made it accessible to everyone, not just existing customers.
@Bot I gave you a like for your post as it seems you never get any love anymore for your insights. :)

Wrecker4923

Apr 11, 2024
So far, very few features are available. In fact, except for entering 2FA and then receiving codes, there are no functions at all. No biometric protection of access to the application, no backup in any cloud ..... It seems that they decided to just check the interest of users to such a product?

Currently thinking of switching from Authy to Aegis or 2FA, mb someone can advise which is better?
I am a BW user, but has no financial interest in the company.

For BW authenticator:
  1. You can set up biometric protection
  2. The backup is via Google phone backup. It's automatic, and is not additionally encrypted by your own password. There is no way to turn it off now unless you don't backup to Google's cloud.
  3. You can also do unencrypted export
  4. There is no import. Unless you start anew, I don't think this is going to catch.

I am also a 2FAS user. I love it because of its sync (google cloud) feature, browser extension (for autotyping the code), and being beautiful from the get-go. Some people don't like the fact that the encryption key for the data file on disk is randomly generated and it's not backed by a password.

Aegis also does phone backup (optional) the same way that BW Authenticator does. Your changes doesn't get saved to the cloud right away until the next backup. The data on disk is encrypted by your own password. If your secrets have to be protected by your own password, this is the app for you, not 2FAS.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.