Advanced Plus Security blackice's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
May 2, 2022
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
macOS 15 Sequoia
On-device encryption
Not applicable
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
Router and network details
RT-AX86U
Real-time protection
Microsoft Defender
OSArmor
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Custom security settings
RunBySmartscreen added to context menu
Periodic malware scanners
ESET, EEK, Malwarebytes, NPE
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
none
Browsers and extensions
Chrome -
uBlock Origin
1Password
Bitdefender Trafficlight

Edge Chromium -
uBlock Origin
1Password
Smartscreen - On

Firefox -
uBlock Origin
1Password
Malwarebytes Browser Guard
Secure DNS
Quad9
Desktop VPN
none
Password and passkey manager
1Password
Maintenance tools
HWiNFO
Process Explorer
Everything
Bandizip
File and photo backups
OneDrive
Macrium Reflect
Subscriptions
    • Microsoft 365 Family (up to 1 TB per person)
System recovery
Macrium Reflect
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming from untrusted sites
Computer specs
Ryzen 7 5800X
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi
32GB G.Skill Trident Neo 3600 cl16
RX 7900XT Merc
500GB WD SN550 NVME
2TB SN850X
500GB WD Blue SSD
1TB WD Blue HDD
Feedback preference

Suggestions on the main improvements

I see. That could be useful for non-experienced users. I'm not worried about MD getting disabled so I guess I'll stay with Andy's tools.
I like the look of the interface better, but don't need it constantly running either. Really you could turn it off when you're done since it just makes adjustment through powershell. I was more curious than anything. I think the pro version is going to include a light version of VoodooShield.
 
Dropped Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chromium browsers. Edge -> smartscreen on, Chrome -> Bitdefender TrafficLight.

In Edge and Chrome you get one or two of these every time you close the browser:
1656452764837.png


I noticed I had about 25 of them running. Disappeared with reboot or with running Malwarebytes.

Smartscreen is fine for Edge as my main driver, and Trafficlight covers Chrome just fine as I rarely use it. I've not seen this issue with Firefox, which is my #2.
 
Also moved from Quad9 to using ISP DNS. I have seen tremendously better performance with their DNS (Comcast may have poor customer service, but their engineers are kind of the opposite). Probably due to edge caches and the fact that I'm a fair bit far away from any large cities where the public data centers are that I get pushed to with public resolvers.
 
Trying out 1.1.1.2 DoT for the home router. I was using the ISP DNS, but then Trend Micro's filtering (ASUS router) kept flagging false positives and I got tired of them making my wife unhappy. I have never seen a legit hit on AiProtection from my ASUS router. Plus turning it off gave me consistent Gig+ down. So hopefully 1.1.1.2 works as a middle ground as I have too many issues from my location with Quad9 with DoT.
 
Last edited:

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top