Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Facebook Bans All Cryptocurrency Ads to Thwart Scams
scienceofstocks.com: http://scienceofstocks.com/facebook-bans-all-cryptocurrency-ads-to-thwart-scams/
Menlo Park, CA, United States (4E) – Facebook has banned all ads on its social media platform that promote cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin (Ƀ), Ethereum (ETH), Zcash (ZEC) and Dash, as well as initial coin offerings (ICOs). There are an estimated 1,450 cryptocurrencies (collectively called “altcoins”) in circulation online.
In defending this move, Facebook said it wants to keep altcoin ads off the site that “promote financial products and services that are frequently associated with misleading or deceptive promotional practices.”
It said ads that violate its new standards will be banned across company’s platforms, including Facebook itself, Instagram and Audience Network, which place ads on many third-party sites... read MORE at the website...

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
If you have Adguard desktop just make sure the "English" filter is enabled in the ad blocker settings it blocks a lot of the coin miners according to the developer.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
My browser is Maxthon, which incorporates Adblock Plus. I have tried repeatedly to add the NoCoin adblock list to i.
YoYk2g.png

I keep on getting "download failure". Over and over and over again.
MGgIsU.png

I went to HostsMan and used Hosts < Open with Text Editor to open up the HOSTS.txt file. I added to it the code at adblock-nocoin-list/hosts.txt at master · hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list · GitHub. But this updating of the HOSTS.txt file did not succeed in updating the HOSTS file proper. So I went to Hosts < Open and opened the HOSTS file itself in HostsMan Editor. I clicked on the '+' sign. I pasted in the code at the top.
Tt1YZI.png

I believe the IP box at the upper right was showing '127.0.0.1'. But this still did not expand my HOSTS file. I must be doing something wrong.

So I have struck out using both Adblock Plus and HostsMan. Help with both things will be appreciated and useful no doubt for others as well as me.

At this time I'm pretty sure there is no uBlock Origin or NoScript for Maxthon.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Your CPU load is too big: 91%, and Memory 73%... why?

What Adblock you have: d'origin this one, or another (there are many Adblock extensions, many shady).

On your github link, I have 0% CPU.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Your CPU load is too big: 91%, and Memory 73%... why?...

On your github link, I have 0% CPU.

Actually for me those are good numbers. My system works pretty well with memory in the 70s or 80s, sometimes even the low 90s. On CPU usage what I dread is seeing it at 60% or below for more than a few moments. That is when I get a "System Idle Process massacre". In other words, the system decides that rather than finishing loading a tab or going to the item on the taskbar I clicked on or allowing me to type onto the screen., it would rather be idle. 91% CPU usage is good for me because the system is not being idle. Now sometimes a process gets greedy gobbling up processing and keeps a steady 100% CPU usage for quite a while, and that's bad for performance. The only person I have talked to on Malware Tips about the System Idle Process massacre says there is no fix for it now. I imagine it's worse on XP that later OSs. Any helpful comments are welcome.

What Adblock you have: d'origin this one, or another (there are many Adblock extensions, many shady).

As the screenshot shows, the Maxthon Adblock is the real Adblock Plus.

I sure hope someday who knows his way around HostsMan or Adblock Plus will give me some help.

Reactions: frogboy

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Actually for me those are good numbers. My system works pretty well with memory in the 70s or 80s, sometimes even the low 90s. On CPU usage what I dread is seeing it at 60% or below for more than a few moments. That is when I get a "System Idle Process massacre". In other words, the system decides that rather than finishing loading a tab or going to the item on the taskbar I clicked on or allowing me to type onto the screen., it would rather be idle. 91% CPU usage is good for me because the system is not being idle. Now sometimes a process gets greedy gobbling up processing and keeps a steady 100% CPU usage for quite a while, and that's bad for performance. The only person I have talked to on Malware Tips about the System Idle Process massacre says there is no fix for it now. I imagine it's worse on XP that later OSs. Any helpful comments are welcome.

As the screenshot shows, the Maxthon Adblock is the real Adblock Plus.

I sure hope someday who knows his way around HostsMan or Adblock Plus will give me some help.
Has this high CPU problem come suddenly or over time?
Do you use CCleaner or similar software? With what frequency (once a day, once a week...?)
Have you scanned your Windows with MBAM, HitmanPro, AdwCleaner, UltraAdwareKiller, JRT, or other similar software?
Have you defragmented your Windows?
Have you asked TwinHeadedEagle here on MT for advice?

So use these two links:
Malware Removal Assistance For Windows
TwinHeadedEagle

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Has this high CPU problem come suddenly or over time?

Actually, the CPU situation has been pretty stable for several years. I have real problems when a particular process goes crazy on CPU usage. The main culprits are a couple of svchost.exes (svchost.exe -k NetworkService, which Process Explorer associates with DNS Client, and, I think, svchost.exe -k netsvcs, associated with a whole bunch of services) and PSANHost.exe, a Panda service. I have had it with Panda and I am about to switch to Bitdefender. The Adguard service can get CPU-greedy at times, but not as badly as those. The much more common problem for me is protracted low CPU usage, that I described above as the System Idle Process massacre. Unfortunately for now I'm on an old computer:
Computer: DELL Dimension 2400
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2658 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Security Programs: Panda Antivirus Pro (incl. firewall), IObit Malware Fighter Pro (sometimes run realtime), SpyShelter, CryptoPrevent, Adguard, WinPatrol Plus, XVirus Web Guard, Yandex DNS, Spy the Spy, ExeWatch, LastPass, numerous on-demand programs

Do you use CCleaner or similar software? With what frequency (once a day, once a week...?)

CCleaner, about once every couple of months. I'm overdue.

Have you scanned your Windows with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, HitmanPro, AdwCleaner, UltraAdwareKiller, JRT, or other similar software?

I have been doing a lot of scanning. Recently I did Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool. It flagged Panda and Crawler toolbars as vulnerabilities. I didn't use them, so I uninstalled them. I have also run recently ESET Online Scanner, Hitman Pro, RogueKiller, Kaspersky System Checker, Belarc Advisor, Kaspersky Security Scan, herdProtect, SUPERAntispyware, and Spybot. Some of those have given me a bunch of blatant false positives but none have given interesting detections.

Have you defragmented your Windows?

Months overdue on that.

So nobody can help me on HostsMan or Adblock Plus?

DavidLMO

Level 4
Verified
Dec 25, 2017
Are you sure that particular miner block list works with your adblocker? Are you sure you are using the correct Hosts file?
This is XP machine? On mine, System Idle Process often runs at 90 + %. It means that the system is idle :) Not sure what "System Idle Process massacre" means.

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Just checked my setup by disabling one by one and it seems KFA blocks the miner url immediately. Followed by Adguard for windows and Adguard browser extension. It seems I don't need a separate miner blocker extension.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
My browser is Maxthon, which incorporates Adblock Plus. I have tried repeatedly to add the NoCoin adblock list to i.
YoYk2g.png

I keep on getting "download failure". Over and over and over again.
MGgIsU.png

I went to HostsMan and used Hosts < Open with Text Editor to open up the HOSTS.txt file. I added to it the code at adblock-nocoin-list/hosts.txt at master · hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list · GitHub. But this updating of the HOSTS.txt file did not succeed in updating the HOSTS file proper. So I went to Hosts < Open and opened the HOSTS file itself in HostsMan Editor. I clicked on the '+' sign. I pasted in the code at the top.
Tt1YZI.png

I believe the IP box at the upper right was showing '127.0.0.1'. But this still did not expand my HOSTS file. I must be doing something wrong.

So I have struck out using both Adblock Plus and HostsMan. Help with both things will be appreciated and useful no doubt for others as well as me.

At this time I'm pretty sure there is no uBlock Origin or NoScript for Maxthon.
hi, adblock plus doesn't support hosts file format so you can't add that file
you have to use this instead. It's also nocoin but designed for adblock format, not hosts
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list/master/nocoin.txt

for hostsman, try to run it under Administrator privileges, if not you have to manually copy and paste the list into your hosts

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Are you sure that particular miner block list works with your adblocker?

Hoshadiq's NoCoin Filter List says it's for "adblock" so I would suppose that includes the best known Adblock fork, Adblock Plus.

Are you sure you are using the correct Hosts file?

What is the correct Hosts file? I know some programs promise to rest the Hosts file to default, but that makes no sense to me. When threats are ever-evolving, why would one want a static Hosts file? I maintain my Hosts file through the respected HostsMan program. I use it to get Malware Domain List updates.

This is XP machine? On mine, System Idle Process often runs at 90 + %. It means that the system is idle :) Not sure what "System Idle Process massacre" means.

I invented the term "System Idle Process massacre" for what happens on my computer. It's harder for me to get it to respond to commands when the CPU Usage is consistently below 70%. Sometimes I just to wait helpless while System Idle Process dominates. I know System Idle Process is not a real process. The determination of the OS to be idle when my fingers are telling it to be busy causes a lot of problems.

Reactions: AtlBo

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
conceptualclarity:
If System Idle Process is on 100%, then CPU load is 0%... it makes sense.
Concentrate on decrase your CPU load, to decrease this - get rid of GBs of History files with CCleaner (use it daily), then erase everything AdwCleaner shows you to erase...

Download No Coin extension/add-on... and other semblables if you wish... NoMiners, Mining Blocker I have.

Last edited:

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Adding Scriptsafe to my browsers browsing is a few seconds slower.
But on the other hand my cpu stopped working like crazy.
I was surpised to see Miner Blocker blocking stuff on some known sites in my country.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
On Nightly (Firefox fork):
- on this test (for me) mining website tainies.online: Ταινίες Online με Ελληνικούς Υπότιτλους - Tainies.Online
- I have 100% CPU load, with enabled: AdGuard AdBlocker (1 blocked), StopAll Ads, AdAware AdBlock, Miner Blocker, No Coin, NoMiners (nothing is blocked by these all...).
But if enabled too minerBlock (which has been detected and blocks 1 miner: cfcdist.gdn) - CPU load drops for 30%...and with too enabled Policy Control (with block of third party scripts) - CPU load drops for 20-25%...and with YesScript2 full blocking (= all scripts) have 0% CPU load finally!
- so this miner is JavaScript miner.

On other websites with other miners, my all four miner blockers does show blocked stuff. That's why I have them.
But the best block of JS mining is to block all scripts, I see.
I have the impression, that my miner blockers don't block, but detects only, caue my CPU load is always big with some mining websites... A nice exception is this minerBlock:
924258-64.png

minerBlock by CryptoMineDev: minerBlock – Add-ons for Firefox
MinerBlock is an efficient browser extension that focuses on blocking browser-based cryptocurrency miners all over the web.
This extension uses two different approaches to block miners. The first one is based on blocking requests/scripts loaded from a blacklist, this is the traditional approach adopted by most ad-blockers and other mining blockers.
The other approach which makes MinerBlock more efficient against cryptojacking is detecting potential mining behavior inside loaded scripts and kills them immediately.
This makes the extension able to block inline scripts as well as miners running through proxies.

Source code available on Github :
https://github.com/xd4rker/MinerBlock

PS.
I have reduced the memory load of my Nightly browser now, by clicking on "Restart" addon green icon, from 1070 MB to 860 MB...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.