Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011

'Block Malicious File Downloads'
Chrome extension, I have:
Version: 0.2 Updated: October 14, 2016 Size: 8.75KiB

Block malicious files from being unintentionally downloaded. Useful as an additional layer of security to protect against accidental clicks.

Source of malicious file types used: Windows File Extension List: Types of Files Exploited by Malware | CFOC.ORG

In corporate environments this can be deployed via Group Policy, extensions are not automatically enabled in Incognito mode so we advise disabling incognito mode via group policy too.

.exe
.msi
.msp
.com
.scr
.hta
.cpl
.msc
.jar
.bat
.cmd
.vb
.vbs
.vbe
.js
.jse
.ws
.wsf
.wsc
.wsh
.ps1
.ps1xml
.ps2
.ps2xml
.psc1
.psc2
.msh
.msh1
.msh2
.mshxml
.msh1xml
.msh2xml
.scf
.lnk
.inf
.chm
.drv
.vxd
.dll
.swf
.gadget

Another similar chrome extension: Executable Extension Blocker I put by omission in another topic (Post#5): 'Link Alert' - Chrome and Firefox extensions

-too 'must-have' category... compare!
- it's with .cmd too! - anti-ransomware feature sure!

- another big post sure

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Is there a addon for Firefox as well?

Maybe ExeGuard Firefox add-on: exeGuard – Add-ons for Firefox - but beware, I haven't tried this...
1 review:
'работает
работает вроде, только непонятно почему антивирус ругается на неё и сайты hxxp://exeguard.net и hxxp://exeguard.com/ не открывается.'
In English:
'working
works like, only it is not clear why the antivirus swears on it and the sites hxxp://exeguard.net and hxxp://exeguard.com/ does not open.'

Norton Safe Web report: Report for exeguard.com | Norton Safe Web - WARNING: 2 viruses!

Hmmm... I have unlinked these exeguard links ...

Urlquery.net report: urlquery.net - Report

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I have found another ExeGuard topic on MT: Add-on - exeGuard

- sorry

JM Security

- and another ExeGuard extension, on Chrome Web Store: exeGuard

- with developer link dead.

BUT with its Size: 32.42KiB - it's this same kind of extension, as 'Block Malicious File Downloads' ... I think now

EDIT:
- downloaded here on Chrome (CENT Browser), no icon, no Options...easy to remove eventually...
ID: oakkidgacnogpkfpogddnieajdfmgacf Chrome extension.. it's safe I think...

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Good news: this exeGuard Chrome extension is good .. I saw it working during my download, it works well. Then it's safe and useful, I think.
- offered by exeguard.com (dead website).
Version: 1.0.0
Updated: December 12, 2016
Size: 32.42KiB

Then exeGuard Firefox extension downloaded here October 13 - and if clicked on 'More' button (show more details about this add-on) in Extensions page, it lead to the add-on page of ExeGuard 1.0.0 -I see 'Last updated' October 13, 2017! This is date of my download, I remember this!
So I downloaded it today November 19, 2017 - and this 'Last updated' change to November 19, 2017! It's a bug in my Firefox maybe

If click on 'Check for Updates' button - nothig happens... Homepage - don't work.
If not, I have exeGuard on my Firefox since October 13, and all is OK - I think.

1 review, in Russian...
English translation:
"working
works like, only it is not clear why the antivirus swears on it and the sites hxxp://exeguard.net and hxxp://exeguard.com/ does not open.
Rated 5 out of 5 by psi-x, 5 months ago"

For .net link, my Sur.ly Surfguard spoke about some security threat or malware possibility... hmm

This same description on Chrome and Firefox:
"A Chrome extension to scan .exe files you download from the web.
exeGuard is a really simple way to check if the .exe file you want to download is safe or not. It gets your .exe file scanned for possible risks and safety-related consequences and shows you quick scan results. Once scanning is complete, exeGuard determines if the .exe file is safe for download or malicious in nature. No file is being downloaded without your confirmation – you can proceed to downloading with exeGuard if the file is safe, or initiate a direct download without exeGuard, taking it at your own risk.
Are you worried that you may accidentally download a virus or some malicious file? The Internet nowadays is so flooded with various sources, which may damage your computer system that online security should be taken very seriously.
Remember about your online safety and install exeGuard to check .exe files before downloading them to make sure they’re safe and reliable.
We hope you will enjoy using our Chrome extension and share your thoughts, ideas and recommendations with us by sending an email to info @exeguard.com."

On Google I found this exeguard.com/welcome page: .exeGuard - Welcome - © Free Sky Business LP. 2016. exeGuard - protected exe-files downloads from the web.

What do you think about, then

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Other Good Extensions to scan download files:

Found on Chrome Web Store: "Download Virus Checker" by yokris.dev, "Metadefender for Chrome"

"Download Virus Checker" - offered by yokris.dev (= FAQs page on add0n.com): Download Virus Checker
Version: 0.1.1 Updated: September 25, 2017 Size: 63.05KiB
"Download Virus Checker" adds additional security level to your browsing experience by checking all download links against 68 anti-virus solutions. The extension needs zero configuration. Once a new download request is submitted, the download link is sent to VirusTotal web service and will be checked for viruses. Once the report is ready, extension evaluates the response and notify you if the link is a threat. If there are more than pre-defined positive responses to the link, a warning window will appear to notify you about the possible threat of this download. You can either decide to allow or deny this download.
The extension is built on top of VirusTotal web service.

"Metadefender for Chrome" - offered by https://www.opswat.com : Metadefender for Chrome
Version: 2.0.6 Updated: August 4, 2017 Size: 430KiB
Make sure the files you download from the web aren't malicious! Metadefender for Chrome, by OPSWAT, allows you to scan all downloads, or specific files, for malware using 40+ commercial anti-malware engines. Using many anti-malware engines helps ensure that more viruses, spyware, Trojan and other threats can be detected - malware that might be missed by a single anti-malware engine.
You can also try out Metadefender Cloud by visiting Vulnerability, CDR and Antivirus APIs | Metadefender

PS. I've downloaded on Firefox and forks: exeGuard. No problem.

Last edited:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Prorootect I like the way you share!!pls, keep us posted:giggle: but better to find some APP than extension! because Yandex already secured my browser with next-generation Hips also some technologies like AI, Sophos sig, behavioral link checker, https scanning and more:D

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Thank you very much, Sunshine-boy!

Hmm this Yandex...So no portable edition?
- and maybe send your beloved coordinates in details to Russian intelligence services?

knows who knows

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
'Block Malicious File Downloads' Chrome extension, I have:
Version: 0.2 Updated: October 14, 2016 Size: 8.75KiB

Block malicious files from being unintentionally downloaded. Useful as an additional layer of security to protect against accidental clicks.

Source of malicious file types used: Windows File Extension List: Types of Files Exploited by Malware | CFOC.ORG

In corporate environments this can be deployed via Group Policy, extensions are not automatically enabled in Incognito mode so we advise disabling incognito mode via group policy too.

.exe
.msi
.msp
.com
.scr
.hta
.cpl
.msc
.jar
.bat
.cmd
.vb
.vbs
.vbe
.js
.jse
.ws
.wsf
.wsc
.wsh
.ps1
.ps1xml
.ps2
.ps2xml
.psc1
.psc2
.msh
.msh1
.msh2
.mshxml
.msh1xml
.msh2xml
.scf
.lnk
.inf
.chm
.drv
.vxd
.dll
.swf
.gadget

Another similar chrome extension: Executable Extension Blocker I put by omission in another topic (Post#5): 'Link Alert' - Chrome and Firefox extensions

-too 'must-have' category... compare!
- it's with .cmd too! - anti-ransomware feature sure!

- another big post sure
Thanks looks great,great add on,I added it ...:))

Reactions: Prorootect

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks looks great,great add on,I added it ...:))
You did the right thing.
The vast majority (all...) of the extensions/add-ons that I have described are checked and used by me, no problems!
- If I haven't downloaded, I mention this.

Tsiehshi

Level 2
Verified
Nov 11, 2017
I don't know what the purpose of that extension is. I just tried it out. It blocked all of the downloads regardless of the website
I think, just simply enable "Ask where to save each file before downloading" (chrome) so we can cancel the malicious or unintended downloads before they can cause any damage

I think this extension is only useful if we want to prevent our family members to download and run something without our permission but they will wonder why this browser is broken and can't download anything

We can't customize the blocklist. I want to unblock a few extension such as .exe
Cross-quoted that because this is a better thread for it.

Find your extension folder, copy it somewhere safe, delete the _metadata folder, then open up bg.js to delete ".exe" from the array in it, then load it as an unpacked extension.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Cross-quoted that because this is a better thread for it.

Find your extension folder, copy it somewhere safe, delete the _metadata folder, then open up bg.js to delete ".exe" from the array in it, then load it as an unpacked extension.
good job, but I still think enabling the option mentioned above is good enough without the need of this extension. I find this extension more annoying than what it can do, for me

Reactions: Prorootect

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I've removed ExeGuard add-on from Firefox and Nightly(Basilisk), cause I couldn't download from the web... download button from ExeGuard page didn't work, so I removed it.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.