Macrium Reflect free
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
Unbranded, i7 4790, Rx580 amd , 16gb ddr3, ssd os + hard drives above 10 for storage
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of the installed antivirus products.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
boombastik: Not to pry but have you given up on Zemana?

You reminded me of it so since I was bored with nothing to do, I went to Bleeping Computer and installed the AntiMalware. It tagged 5 processes of MSI Afterburner v.4.6.2, this stable version having been released since--get this--October 29, 2019. So I sent feedback thru the UI. Wow, flashback! Remember when Zemana was here at MalwareTips around the clock with their revamped product, looking for testers and shmoozing? Now they are a mystery again.....:unsure:

zemmsi.PNG

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
Consider Bitwarden as your main password manager, highly recommended.

Consider replacing Avast with Bitdefender Free or Kaspersky Security Cloud Free.

Please update Malwarebytes to latest version.

Other than that your configuration is complete (y)

boombastik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2018
Why are you using such an old version of Malwarebytes? Definitely not recommended.
I simple wanted a good application with good definitions and good compatibility with third party antivirus.
The last is 2.2.1.
The version 3 and 4 have only good compatibility with defender. And the only difference is a cloud machine learning, an antiexploit shield (avast has also antiexploit) and a ransomware shield that has a so so detection rate and cuts the 4k ssd speed at half. Also i have found bugs that are unresolved for the time being.

Last edited:

boombastik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2018
Consider Bitwarden as your main password manager, highly recommended.

Consider replacing Avast with Bitdefender Free or Kaspersky Security Cloud Free.

Please update Malwarebytes to latest version.

Other than that your configuration is complete (y)

I dont use password manager because i save my passwords in my brain and if i dont remember one i have them written in an agenta locked in my house.
I have different passwords for all online activities and i must type them every time i login somewhere.
Keep in mind that when i install an antivirus i always want the more stable one and avast is more stable from the other two, maybe because it has so many people to report bugs. I have tested a lot of them.

Last edited:

boombastik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2018
boombastik: Not to pry but have you given up on Zemana?

You reminded me of it so since I was bored with nothing to do, I went to Bleeping Computer and installed the AntiMalware. It tagged 5 processes of MSI Afterburner v.4.6.2, this stable version having been released since--get this--October 29, 2019. So I sent feedback thru the UI. Wow, flashback! Remember when Zemana was here at MalwareTips around the clock with their revamped product, looking for testers and shmoozing? Now they are a mystery again.....:unsure:

Zemana 3 real time protection seems to not use cloud only a static behaviour blocker that need to be updated but they stop updating this. Only scan seems to use cloud engine. It is dangerous with false positives and i found a bug with sleep that is unresolved.
Zemana 2, Someone wrote that dont update definitions but the third party that use this engine continue to sell it. Also i found that corrupt ntfs structure and it is unresolved.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Zemana? Have I heard that name before? No, maybe it's "Semana". I think it will be updated "next semana", or the maybe the one after that, or the next... Have I been here before? Where am I now? I think it was a dream! ;)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@boombastik:

Overkill to have Avast Free + MBAM on resident protection....

You may set UAC to Always Notify.

In Data BackUp, You may consider also to use a cloud service.

A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I simple wanted a good application with good definitions and good compatibility with third party antivirus.
The last is 2.2.1.
The version 3 and 4 have only good compatibility with defender. And the only difference is a cloud machine learning, an antiexploit shield (avast has also antiexploit) and a ransomware shield that has a so so detection rate and cuts the 4k ssd speed at half. Also i have found bugs that are unresolved for the time being.
I have the same version Malwarebytes portable. Is perfect :)

boombastik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2018
@boombastik:

Overkill to have Avast Free + MBAM on resident protection....

You may set UAC to Always Notify.

In Data BackUp, You may consider also to use a cloud service.

A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.

Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, thanks for sharing :)

For the uac i have problem with always notify because i have a gaming machine with above 800 games and i tried it and it is insane.
For the cloud recommendation here in Greece we dont have the internet to make such a huge backups.
But for every hdd i buy, i buy also a second one that has the same files for backup reasons.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
For the uac i have problem with always notify because i have a gaming machine with above 800 games and i tried it and it is insane.
For the cloud recommendation here in Greece we dont have the internet to make such a huge backups.
But for every hdd i buy, i buy also a second one that has the same files for backup reasons.
Like Elladara internet DEN have :LOL:

boombastik

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2018
I would consider to harden S.O. (hard configurator+allow exeand temp), On avast use HM aggressive (dont know if u already config so), Use standard account. The rest seems acceptable.
The admin account is a trade of when you have a gaming machine with above 800 games. Half of them have bugs when run in a standard accound (for example anti cheat engine)

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
The admin account is a trade of when you have a gaming machine with above 800 games. Half of them have bugs when run in a standard accound (for example anti cheat engine)
K , understand u point of view. Pls i would still suggest some sort of defense vs zero days, hard configurator could be good, or use Voodooshield. If u dont wanna use those programs, pls try other antivirus like kaspersky or avast (have smth vs zero days)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.