Not open for further replies.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Hey guys,
My laptop has been acting weird here lately, once I get everything I use installed very soon after at boot up after I type my pw, it takes forever to load and sometimes won't (10 min later still a black screen)
so i'm pi$$ed to say the least, what could the problem be? hardware or software?

I'm trying to rule out software so for the heck of it i'm trying windows firewall for the first time (believe it or not) and I have a couple questions...#1 Is default secure enough or do I need to tweak some settings?
#2 As far as utorrent goes, do I need to put my port i'm using somewhere in the settings or no?

It automatically allowed utorrent both tcp and udp (both incoming)

Thanks for any help

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Firewall serves me well and if I need to further customise rules, I can.

This is a WF pop-up, normally seen with p2p or server software (from my experience):

lGOzh.png

More settings if you decide to manually configure a program (ie. uTorrent):

nXQFb.png

MRF71 said:
I'm trying to rule out software so for the heck of it i'm trying windows firewall for the first time (believe it or not) and I have a couple questions...#1 Is default secure enough or do I need to tweak some settings?

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
left only 2 suspect : GPU or motherboard chipset

The weird thing is it's fine after boot and it runs great after install the only time the issue occurs is after all the programs are installed which makes me lean towards hdd issues.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Earth said:
Windows Firewall serves me well and if I need to further customise rules, I can.

This is a WF pop-up, normally seen with p2p or server software (from my experience):

lGOzh.png

More settings if you decide to manually configure a program (ie. uTorrent):

nXQFb.png

MRF71 said:

Thanks Earth, I think I have WF figured out :)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

MRF71 said:
the only time the issue occurs is after all the programs are installed which makes me lean towards hdd issues.

if it was fine before ALL your softwares are installed, i will see more toward a software issue.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
It makes no sense cause i've used the same stuff months ago and everything was fine, so i'm baffled.

The funny thing is it's running very smooth as I type so i'm afraid to reboot

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
The only error I see is...
Source is WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

MRF71 said:
It makes no sense cause i've used the same stuff months ago and everything was fine, so

in the meanwhile you have Windows updates, softwares updates, etc...

it is why i asked you to reboot after each installation of softwares so u can pinpoint the culprit. i know it is boresome but necessary.

Upvote 0

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
i think indeed you have a hardware issue
check this :
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3567.event-id-18-microsoft-windows-whea-logger.aspx

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Interesting...Symbolic Name:
Boot Performance Monitoring

Thanks man, i'll read more about this

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.