Not open for further replies.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Hey guys,
My laptop has been acting weird here lately, once I get everything I use installed very soon after at boot up after I type my pw, it takes forever to load and sometimes won't (10 min later still a black screen)
so i'm pi$$ed to say the least, what could the problem be? hardware or software?

I'm trying to rule out software so for the heck of it i'm trying windows firewall for the first time (believe it or not) and I have a couple questions...#1 Is default secure enough or do I need to tweak some settings?
#2 As far as utorrent goes, do I need to put my port i'm using somewhere in the settings or no?

It automatically allowed utorrent both tcp and udp (both incoming)

Thanks for any help

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
It could be the hardware when it comes to a boot, but with that have you tried going back to an old or earlier backup?

You should not need to put any ports in, because I have use uTorrent in the past and have been using the Windows Firewall for a while (thanks to Trend :) ). As for secure measures it should be safe as it is :)

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
McLovin said:
It could be the hardware when it comes to a boot, but with that have you tried going back to an old or earlier backup?

You should not need to put any ports in, because I have use uTorrent in the past and have been using the Windows Firewall for a while (thanks to Trend :) ). As for secure measures it should be safe as it is :)

Thanks dude, here's the deal...I go back to my snapshot that was right after I installed windows and updates along with SP1, I install all my programs then soon after the problems start and my dang systray icons never load consistently, they are loaded in memory but some don't show in my systray which is annoying as heck!
This has been going on for awhile. the booting issues just for a few days.

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I experienced a similar slow boot and extended black screen on my father's ASUS laptop with 7, 64 bit. All I remember doing is halting all Start-up (msconfig) items at boot time to real-time security software only ("MS Config Cleanup" should be handy to enforce that). Other than that, I turned off that annoying prompt that asks if you "are sure you want to run this program" every time you try to freakin' run a program. That is about useless; I sometimes wonder if IT asks ITself if IT is sure IT wants to run.
Also make sure you set ALL Adobe products to NEVER UPDATE or not to prompt for UPDATE. Turn all Adobe updates off and do it manually. I have had all kinds of problems with Adobe update. Adobe is grayware at best, sometimes.

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Boot windows 7 in safemode, use either msconfig or ccleaner to disable some startup entries.

theres at least a program with conflict with loading windows.

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I am very picky with startup items, the only things ticked are my security apps nothing else

Upvote 0

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
try running defragmnet hard disk and registry or/and at least a check disk for the OS part
had a similar sort of problem when my computer was shutting down due to SMPS problem, and checkdisk solved it!!

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I have heard that defragging the registry is risky, but defragging the startup and drive is a great idea for sure.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

He said he restored his system from a snapshot he did after the installation of windows and installed his softwares, and the issues are still there; so a disk or registry defrag is not necessary.

MFR, you should reload a clean snaphot of Windows then update it, then install each of your softs one by one and reboot every time to figure out which of them create the issue. If it is a software conflicts you will find it.

If the issue appears just after the clean restoration it may be an HDD bad sectors issue, then a full checkdisk is recommended.

Upvote 0

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
It can be Ram or processor issue. I have seen in many cases and recently with my desktop that the cpu fan runs but no screen or display. So chk the ram and replace with new one
It can also be overheating of processor
It can be due to misconfigured drivers. Try safe mode and reinstall all drivers.
When booting quickly keep on tapping F8 ie bfore starting windows loads. There use VGA mode to see if its graphic diver problem.
If still problem continues do the same thing but enable debugging mode. Then using safe mode or some other way find the log file windows has made in the root of c-drive. It will tell you exactly at which program this problem was encountered ie which program was loading.
I hope you have linux live cd to access ur cdrive and get the log and post it here.
I dont understand why ms cant make a live dvd.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

you have those kind of live cds, but unofficial and made by 3rd parties called Mini XP or Mini Win7. ;)

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Boot into Windows Safe Mode, uninstall ALL of your security products that load with system startup.
Now try to boot Windows normally, if it works then one or more of your security products are causing this issue.

Thanks.:D

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I've been busy trying to figure this out...I have backed up everything and did a quick 1 pass on both partitions with kill disk, I took the hdd out inspected it, I took the ram out and inspected it, nothing abnormal that I could see, I did a memory test in the bios and it passed, I ran a couple hdd monitor programs and results said healthy, I re-installed windows and have tried a few different security programs just to see if anything would change but it still did it, so re-installed again and so far it gives me about 3 sec extended black screen before my desktop shows so not as bad (I can live with that) but if it gets worse then I have to assume it's either a ram or hdd issue. and if it's not then I am at my wits end!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

i forgot to ask, after reinstalling windows from scratch and nothing else (not even updates) does the issue was there?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.