App Review Bora tests Comodo Cloud Antivirus

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012

Comodo Cloud Antivirus 1.16 Build 440168.650 with custom settings. Sandboxing replaced with just a simple blocking, convenient for older hardware which struggles with resources. I use this configuration for my old PC that has only 1GB of RAM and a single core CPU. Comodo did the excellent job blocking almost anything bad and keep the good apps working. No files encrypted and no system anomalies on the surface. Light and powerful.
Good if you need a lockdown mode protection for your PC for free.

Music
Thomas Bergersen - Ocean Princess
Thomas Bergersen - Illusions

Special thanks to @silversurfer and @Der.Reisende for malware packs!

Enjoy! :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
nice review but i'm not fond of this blindly blocking stuff, I guess it's good for performance but this is how you start getting FPs.
I have started using this combination of settings when I have to leave my old PC alone with my parents, knowing that they could click on something they shouldn't while I was away. Advanced users usually know what they click, and what they are going to execute, a false positive may happen as you say.
Difference between sandboxing and simple blocking is only in resources as far as I have noticed. Tested the same pack with sandboxing and it just made the CPU go crazy until I cleared the containment. Virusscope didn't intervene differently.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
I am interested in it and would try it..anybody with long-term experience with ccav?
yes i used it a while back before trend micro..liked it
Pros: Light av, so so signatures, UI is good, Virus scope greatly improved,
Cons: Personally i'm not fond of blocking all the un known stuff blindly..in simple words it is like sand boxing the pc for free> May suite to some users..it is personal taste...too paranoid as a result fp's occur a lot
?? Valkyrie Analysis?? it works somewhat but they offer a lot of features for free..that's the pro
the way it works suits you then go along with it, else many choices around you:emoji_beer:(y)

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
What did you mean by sandboxing replaced with just simple blocking ,I would like to try that .Thks
Sandbox is different from behaviour blocking/normal blocking of threats
In simple terms it runs all your files in a virtual environment(Virtual machine, Containment) ..where it causes no harm to the host machine and all
the changes can be reverted back in most of the cases (not all)

Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Sandbox is different from behaviour blocking/normal blocking of threats
In simple terms it runs all your files in a virtual environment(Virtual machine, Containment) ..where it causes no harm to the host machine and all
the changes can be reverted back in most of the cases (not all)

ok so what ddo we need to change in program settings for that? Thks

Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
I tried the latest build, but it wasn't light at all on my system...
Only boot time was OK, everything else was slowed down. Even opening Windows Settings had a delay of 1-2s.
CPU usage was constantly 3-5% when idle and RAM was around 100Mb (not so high, but before it was around 10Mb)...
Uninstalled CCAV and back to Avast, everything came back to normal (CPU around 0-0,1% and RAM around 10-20Mb when idle, settings and apps running nearly istantly)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
With Comodo there are two issues you have to be worried about. First a malware analyst of their team whitelisting a malware and the bugs. From my testing CCAV is less buggy than CF but on the other hand, they removed the setting to disable the cloud lookup so you can only allow and disallow based on digital signature.
I would still use CCAV if i didn't need the firewall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.