App Review Bora tests Comodo Cloud Antivirus

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
What is CCAV like? And would this impact my system on performance at all?

~LDogg
windows firewall hardened + ccav = faster boot time, no hassle with firewall settings

You dont benefit from using ccav with cf, its either cf or ccav

Ccav is really lighter than cis/av, but i have no idea how it would compete against cf as single protection in memory usage/system inpact

Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
What is CCAV like? And would this impact my system on performance at all?

It really depends on your system. On a quality Computer all will be fine; on an older, slower system this will not be the case. Personally I will test a product in a VM, starting out with resources akin to the biggest POS one can imagine and then adding CPU and RAM ability into it. I've done this with both CCAV and CF (please don't consider CIS- the difference between CIS and CF is that CIS has a Local AV scanner which is not needed unless you have OCD and love to do scans) and found that CCAV is MUCH more resource intensive than CF.

also constant disk usage, like with cis

Not at all. With CF- AT MY SETTINGS- it will be among the quietest and least needy product around. It will react only when something new attempts to run on the system.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
It really depends on your system. On a quality Computer all will be fine; on an older, slower system this will not be the case. Personally I will test a product in a VM, starting out with resources akin to the biggest POS one can imagine and then adding CPU and RAM ability into it. I've done this with both CCAV and CF (please don't consider CIS- the difference between CIS and CF is that CIS has a Local AV scanner which is not needed unless you have OCD and love to do scans) and found that CCAV is MUCH more resource intensive than CF.

Thanks for the advice on this @cruelsister I'll take this into consideration as well!

~LDogg

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
With CF- AT MY SETTINGS- it will be among the quietest and least needy product around. It will react only when something new attempts to run on the system.
On my PC, CCAV was very light few releases ago, but recently it has no longer been like that.
CF is really light and quiet, low on CPU, RAM and disk usage. Unfortunately, it happened to break my Windows 10 OS after a huge update and I don't have time to spend in fixing my PC...

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Dogg- I re-read my post and must clarify- in terms of absolute protection I see nothing wrong at all in using CCAV as long as your system is quick. Actually the Cloud AV in CCAV is more responsive than in CF (I've tested this and it is true), so although not intuitively obvious, CCAV will actually have a higher pure AV detection rate than CF.

Personally I could give a Flying FxxK about AV detection as no AV will protect against the true Zero-Day malware that is being pushed out by Professional Blackhats; the true protection modality in CCAV is the sandbox, and the one included in CCAV, although not as customizable, is equivalent in terms of protection to that seen in CF.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Dogg- I re-read my post and must clarify- in terms of absolute protection I see nothing wrong at all in using CCAV as long as your system is quick. Actually the Cloud AV in CCAV is more responsive than in CF (I've tested this and it is true), so although not intuitively obvious, CCAV will actually have a higher pure AV detection rate than CF.

Personally I could give a Flying FxxK about AV detection as no AV will protect against the true Zero-Day malware that is being pushed out by Professional Blackhats; the true protection modality in CCAV is the sandbox, and the one included in CCAV, although not as customizable, is equivalent in terms of protection to that seen in CF.

The system is standard 4GB RAM. I'm just stuck on what to do decide atm. Stick to my current config or change.

~LDogg

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Yeah, on a 4GB (32 bit, right?) system you may feel sluggishness using CCAV, whereas CF, which is more elegantly coded, will run like a champ.

Just keep in mind that the absolute protection afforded by either (CCAV or CF) is equivalent.

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
so comodo cloud work better than comodo av the included into internet security if im not wrong?

Reactions: oldschool

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
so comodo cloud work better than comodo av the included into internet security if im not wrong?
Basically comodo av is just cis without firewall component. So it has hips over CCAV.
Firewall has stronger sandbox than av i guess

I think av didnt had default block option for untrusted files on av, so i would use CCAV instead

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
How long did it take you to set up and record this? The video was very effective and on point. You didn't waste time at all executing all that malware and showing the dropped files. I hope you turn this into a series of videos.
A couple of hours, cannot remember right now. Well, I usually test the signatures/cloud checkup with context menu scan, then execute everything what left behind. You may see that I skipped some empty folders in a ransomware test because the exes were already detected upon initial scan.
Using CCAV on my dinosaur PC (single core Celeron 2.8ghz, 1gb of DDR1 RAM), because CF cannot survive the first boot without freezing everything. Using CCAV on my laptop also and it flies, subjective feeling that it's as light as Avast or ESET.

I will try to make these videos more often in the future.

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
A couple of hours, cannot remember right now. Well, I usually test the signatures/cloud checkup with context menu scan, then execute everything what left behind. You may see that I skipped some empty folders in a ransomware test because the exes were already detected upon initial scan.
Using CCAV on my dinosaur PC (single core Celeron 2.8ghz, 1gb of DDR1 RAM), because CF cannot survive the first boot without freezing everything. Using CCAV on my laptop also and it flies, subjective feeling that it's as light as Avast or ESET.

I will try to make these videos more often in the future.
Do you personally prefer CCAV over CF as a main driver outside of VM testing?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.