Removed :
  • ESET Smart Security 9
  • Microsoft Office 2016 Preview
  • PotPlayer
  • FL Studio
  • Virtual DJ
Added :
  • Zemana Antimalware Premium
  • WPS Office 2015 Premium (Business Edition)
Actually noticed that I don't need ESET anymore... It was relatively hard decision as I used it for years without alternatives. Zemana will surely catch if Defender misses something, but knowing my habits the sensitive spots in my system can come from infected USB drives or the web. Chrome and uBlock origin protected me well for quite of time without ESET's Web Protection had time to intervene. Windows Smart Screen will jump in if something unrecognized tries to run, but I highly doubt it could happen to me.
WPS Office satisfies my needs for creating and manipulating documents, so MS Office was removed. Premium license got from GOTD.
All audio and video material is in hands of MPC HC now. Light, simple, but with comprehensive set of features and options, I love it.
At this schedule at hospital really no time for music production so FL Studio and Virtual DJ removed. Important stuff encrypted and saved to MEGA, second backup medium is my external HDD.

Decided to do a fresh Windows install today, and these are the changes. :) After reinstalling all these programs, a new system backup image was created with Acronis True Image (from my Bootable USB). Image highly compressed and encrypted weights 4.32 GB. Yes it can fit on single DVD :cool:

Thanks for reading :)

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
@BoraMurdar

Well structured update, and the core changes to mainline security software were accurate.
I believe every advanced or above-average user has come to the realization that fully-fledged security suites become more and more redundant with every small security mechanism that is added to the overall configuration: Such as the ad-blocker plugins, which you mentioned, that have evolved to block malicious domains as well, rendering external filters virtually redundant.

That imaging too... Acronis sure does a fine job. Makes me want to reconsider my current thought of dropping it as my backup tool for Paragon B&R...
Maybe, I won't... Just maybe. :D

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Yes @DracusNarcrym , Acronis actually never failed me, in opposite of AOMEI, EaseUS and Macrium which can freeze sometimes doing backup. But maybe it just was on my machine. Used Paragon Backup & Recovery Compact in the past just for the test, hated the time it took to load the drivers and UI to show up, as I always do the "cold" backup and recovery, from bootable usb or cd.
I cannot recall correctly but I think that Acronis and Paragon imaging time were tied but Acronis won in recovery process...or vice versa :D
Anyway, TrueImage made my backup for roughly 10min, compressing the 11.5 GB into 4.32 GB :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Just an update to new Config System. Got back ESET Smart Security 9... Only reason for getting back to it - It's way faster than Windows Defender in Windows 10 among other objective reasons (it's detection rate, time consumed in removing malware, etc)

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014

I just tested AES Crypt vs Locky and Locky WIN! :rolleyes:

Clipboard01.png Clipboard02.png

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Using AES Crypt only for prevention of unauthorized access

Ransomeware will just re-encrypt the encrypted files, making them unusable like any other file you have. Best way to prevent ransomware is to use access restriction/ anti-ransom and backup. The config looks really secure @BoraMurdar .

Secure Folders can prevent from Ransomware/Cryptolocker

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
If I am not wrong from what I am reading on their website, it is has an access restriction additional feature to the AES -256 encryption.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.