BoXX's Defenses

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
How many times does Avira releases updates for free users? Its been 3 hours since I updated and still no updates, But when I was using Antivir Premium, There are updates every hour,

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As avira user I'm not sure how many updates but as far I know during weekends sat and sun there are no updates. Thus I just only feel to update it (manual update)

Link

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Avira in its free version uses different (often slower) servers and the frequency although I do not recall the exact interval is lessened, I want to say it checks for updates every 24 hours though. The answer can be found on the Avira forums though, this is a copy/paste from their forums...

5.2.1 Avira AntiVir Personal automatic update
Note
An update job has been pre-installed to update Avira AntiVir Personal every24 hours if
an internet connection is available and additionally when an internet connection is
established.
Avira AntiVir Personal
To create a job in AntiVir Scheduler to update Avira AntiVir Personal automatically:
 In Control Center, select the Manager:: section. Scheduler.
 Click on the Create new job with the wizard icon.
The dialog box Name and description of job appears.
 Give the job a name and, where appropriate, a description.
 Click Next.
The dialog box Type of job is displayed.
 Select Update job from the list.
 Click Next.
The dialog box Time of job appears.
 Select a time for the update:
 Immediately
 Daily
 Weekly
 Interval
 Single
Note
We recommend that you update Avira AntiVir Personal regularly and often, e.g. every24
hours.
 Where appropriate, specify a date according to the selection.
 Where appropriate, select additional options (availability depends on type of job):
 Repeat job if the time has already expired
Past jobs are carried out that could not be carried out at the required time, for
example because the computer was switched off.
 Click Next.
The dialog box Select display mode appears.
 Select the display mode of the job window:
 Minimize: progress bar only
 Maximize: Entire job window
 Hide: No job window
 Click Finish.
Your newly created job appears on the start page of the Manager :: Scanner
section with the status activated (check mark).
 Where appropriate, deactivate jobs which are not to be carried out.
Use the following icons to further define your jobs:
View properties of a job
Modify job
Delete job
Overview of AntiVir Personal
Start job
Stop job

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Added PrivateFirewall to my config since my ISP reported to me that unknown network interceptions are coming from my home's LAN network, Might be hacker interceptions so better be safe than sorry, :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you have a hardware firewall?

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Removed PrivateFirewall since it froze my PC when launching updating Avira, I configure it to allow Avira but no luck, Quite disappointed with PrivateFirewall.:dodgy:

@stortm I do have a hardware firewall.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
unknown network interceptions are coming from my home's LAN network
To me this sounds like one of your computers is sending malicious packets throughout the network in an attempt to intercept traffic, not the other way around. But maybe I'm wrong.

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Maybe the PC in my Brother's room is infected or worse, hacked, Gotta check it out later.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since your on XP you can try PC Tool Firewall Plus 7, which I still used and works no problem.

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Found out that my brother's PC was indeed infected with a some rogues, cleaned up his PC with Hiren's BootCD. :D

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Finally got KIS 2011 installed after struggling for 2 days with an installation problem. :D I'm gonna get my 1 year license next week.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well that is great. At least you got what you wanted on :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
BoXX28 said:
Found out that my brother's PC was indeed infected with a some rogues, cleaned up his PC with Hiren's BootCD. :D

Maybe you should get a 3 user license, so your other family member's PC are protected too. In return your home network is malware free.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good one year license, you can tune up for some latest offers in KIS 2011.

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Removed KIS because it doesn't start after restarting, Uninstalling it was also a torture because the uninstaller barely works and the Removal tool for it doesn't work, I won't touch Kaspersky for now, Good thing my Dad haven't paid for it yet, I installed Ad-Aware since I got a license for it from a giveaway.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
BoXX28 said:
Removed KIS because it doesn't start after restarting, Uninstalling it was also a torture because the uninstaller barely works and the Removal tool for it doesn't work, I won't touch Kaspersky for now, Good thing my Dad haven't paid for it yet, I installed Ad-Aware since I got a license for it from a giveaway.
I found similar problems with Ad-Aware when I installed it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hmm... hope you stay in Ad-Aware for a long time since you have a giveaway license after you remove KIS. ;)

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Remove Ad-Aware for being such a slow application, RAM usage and CPU usage was too high for me, installed Avast Free because it works real nice and its constantly getting updated. This will be my final config until I get AIS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.