BoXX's Defenses

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good Config since your using Avira Premium how about try with a layer of firewall like Comodo, Online Armor or PC Tools. Add EMET then since your in 32bit you can add like Sandboxie or BufferZone Pro.

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I forgot to add EMET LOL, I currently have it at Maximum security and i configured the vulnerable applications too. I have no intentions in using a third party firewall, I might take a look at Bufferzone Pro since its free but I think that I don't really need it because I'm the only one that's using this PC,

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Adding a DNS will be good (Norton,ClearCloud or Comodo) as long it will not slow your browsing when using it.

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'm currently using OpenDNS because its fast, I just don't like those DNS services that blocks malware sites, it gets down to personal opinions I think. I also have no more intentions to switch to other Antivirus products since Avira does wonders for me, Great Detection rates is all I need, :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes Avira Premium have a nice webguard which I use that before too.

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Out of curiosity, I installed IObit Security 360 to test it. :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You supposed to test malware fighter from Iobit :lolz:

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Security 360's whack!! I have no use for this load of crap, :wacko: Good thing ASC and Smart Defrag's not crappy at all. :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well ASC and Smartdefrag are the main products which they are maintain it better.

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I made a switch from SARDU Bootable Disc to Hiren's BootCD because SARDU just contains too much tools that I have no use for some of it and it takes too long to download all of those .iso files.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well as far I know you can checked only the important tools you want. Like in AV rescue you can checked one of them or select all and in other categories you can leave unchecked.

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Yeah I know of that but Hiren's suits me better, I'm off to my second repair job at my friend's house tomorrow, I hope that I can remove the nasty Vundo and TDL3 infections. :D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Overall a good security config..

What settings are you using for the "heuristic engine" (Advanced Heuristic Analysis and Detection)?
Did you enable the "detection of all threats"?

c0d1e65cd4be2a26a537310643974cbe49adfbe6.jpg

Also you can add a virtualization software..it will drastically improve your security, you can try :

Sandboxie
OR
BufferZone Pro

Also for your browser you can use LastPass
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.
.....with this plugin you can use complex passwords , to better secure your accounts :D

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Hi there Jack! :D I'm using the default level for the heuristics, I also enabled the Scan for Rootkits before scan option for the Scanner and I enabled the detection of all threats. I might take a look at LastPass.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Also in browser plugin in Firefox you can add browser protect an anti hijacking protection which is useful.

moonshine

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Made a switch from Avira Antivir Premium to Avira Antivir Personal. :D

Added ClearCloud DNS for web protection since Antivr Personal has no WebGuard. (Still need Protection even If I have common sense :D)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.